Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Bolton Match Thread

Agreed. we are not Arsenal we dont have the attacking players they do in any postion, even when the whole team is available.

Therefore we cannot play attacking flowing football every week against a top 6 premier league side.

This Ashley Chambers thing is really getting on my nerves now I wouldnt even mind if it was Dodds, The boy is 15 Years old and has been for a scan on his knee within the last week. What exactly on earth makes you think he's going to have the football brain experince and skill to be able to best CB's like Jardi. Why should we send out a 15 year old who in your words could be the best finisher we have had here since Since G.L to play on a bad knee.

I dont know what the extent is but its obvious he's not 100% fit.

What on earth has Chambers to do with this? He was always injured and never an option.

I would have started with Sheehan tonight. I think 90% of FT posters would have done so too. Our only other available player tonight was Conrad Logan, so it's not as if CL had many options available.

Nevertheless, it didn't happen. The emergence of Stearman and Sheehan (possibly) as first team regulars is something that CL is going to have to grapple with sooner or later. It would be interesting to know his thoughts on the matter.

Hopefully those that went will tell us good things about his (AS) sub appearance, and maybe he'll force his way into the 16 at some point.

We're out of OUR© cup. A good effort.

Eyes on the bigger prize now. I'd easily take 3 points at Elland Road ahead of a win v Bolton. :)

What on earth has Chambers to do with this? He was always injured and never an option.

people keep saying that chambers should have played. it's a ridiculas comment.and as has been pointed out several times he's had a scan on his knee and isn't ready. OK. can people stop going on about playing chambers.

if sheehan was to start, who would be left out?

stearman or maybury?

you can't win them all, just remember maybury saved us on a few occassions and sounded the only one willing to charge up from the back - granted he gave the ball away now and then but he made up for it on the next occassion

Well I can't be arsed to trawl through 24 pages.

But I'm proud of the performance and result. Sure a couple of pieces of crap defending cost us, but we held 6th placed Bolton at their own ground for more than 90 minutes.

Levein deserves a lot of credit for this game, I expected us to get walked over but it was anything but. It shows we can play well when up against it. This game should give us hope for our next few tough away games.

You underestimate us. Four-five-one is always hard to play against and we've got people capable of playing it as we've demonstrated previously against Charlton, Blackburn, Wolves etc. But you also have to your best resources to breakthrough at some time - not leave it til you're into extra-time and 2-0 down. Caution cost us.

Unlikely as it might have been we COULD have won.

Honestly, I wasn't able to follow the game. I only saw the result and read some of your comments, but I think the boys did really well given our circumstances. Bolton is performing better than ever (result-wise), so don't be that disappointed. We made it this far with the existing squad.

It is encouraging seeing Williams score at last. And Hume and Smith will be back on Saturday.

Well we took the 6th best team in the country (not a weak team of theirs either..) to extra time and nearly got it to pens right at the end!

I have been mega annoyed before posting this but now I've chilled...How close was Dion? :cry:

Top effort boys, wasn't our strongest team by a long stretch :o

if sheehan was to start, who would be left out?

stearman or maybury?

you can't win them all, just remember maybury saved us on a few occassions and sounded the only one willing to charge up from the back - granted he gave the ball away now and then but he made up for it on the next occassion

I've not criticised Maybury, Benji. Nor did I criticise Levein for not starting with Sheehan. I certainly didn't understand why he moved Maybury from right back (therefore necessitating two changes) when Stearman played so well at left back against Watford.

No, my main criticism was not using our attacking full-back after 70 minutes when Bolton started to tire a bit, lose a bit of conviction and might just have beeen taken.

Maybury was fine but would have been better where he belongs at right back (from where his passing is more accurate).

Just seen the goals on sky sports news, their first was shocking marking, their second the guy took the piss out of two defenders and Gareths goal ROCKED!!!!

:cry:

At least we can look forward to waiting up 'til after midnight to see summat special.

Tharacian, stop going on about Sheehan. He is not even an 'attacking' full back. He is a converted centre back who is good at taking freekicksand corners. He does not have the same athleticism, or dribbling ability, as Maybury and thus does not offer the same attacking options in general play.

I'd like to applaud the team for their performance and hope it gives them greater confidence for the rest of the season.

Tharacian, stop going on about Sheehan. He is not even an 'attacking' full back. He is a converted centre back who is good at taking freekicksand corners. He does not have the same athleticism, or dribbling ability, as Maybury and thus does not offer the same attacking options in general play.

I'd like to applaud the team for their performance and hope it gives them greater confidence for the rest of the season.

Oh right. Sorry about that then. Must have been someone else I've been watching. Don't think I've EVER mentioned his dribbling ability by the way. Don't suppose you'll listen for a minute but what I have said, is that he controls the ball quickly and can pass accurately both to feet and in the air. He also flights and bends the ball.

Nor do I remember criticising Maybury. But you have it your own way and read whatever you like into anything.

Oh right. Sorry about that then. Must have been someone else I've been watching. Don't think I've EVER mentioned his dribbling ability by the way. Don't suppose you'll listen for a minute but what I have said, is that he controls the ball quickly and can pass accurately both to feet and in the air. He also flights and bends the ball.

Nor do I remember criticising Maybury. But you have it your own way and read whatever you like into anything.

Yes but you are trying to make out that it is a question of defencive and attacking full backs. In my view it is a trade off between an athletic full back, Maybury, and one with excellent ball striking abilities, Sheehan. Neither is more attackign than the other. One does happen to be a shed load more experienced and one of our most consisent performers.

Yes but you are trying to make out that it is a question of defencive and attacking full backs. In my view it is a trade off between an athletic full back, Maybury, and one with excellent ball striking abilities, Sheehan. Neither is more attackign than the other. One does happen to be a shed load more experienced and one of our most consisent performers.

I don't see a trade off between Maybury and Sheehan at all. I see Maybury as a right back and Sheehan as a left back. I see both of them as having excellent but different attacking capabilities and both as quality defenders, again with differing styles.

I just see no point in wasting the passing qualities that all but saved tonight's game in the last five minutes.

No, the contest for Maybury involves Stearman and, again, both are good full-backs.

Just got back from the game (with a Curry Mile kebab) and I've had a great night out for roughly £10. The game was ok, neither team really deserved to win, although Bolton fans would probably say they had the better chances. We never really looked like scoring but with the team put out there weren't many attacking options. My friends were very impressed with Stearman especially first half. Though Hamill was very quiet, Tiatto pretty rubbish except a couple of decent bits. Poor Hughes looked a bit off the pace. Defence did fine really, Dublin looked very composed and Nils was fine at centre back. I thought Williams was dreadful first half with many missed placed passes but got a bit better and it was a terrific goal. Big Rab possibly should have saved the second, he went down far too early. Its a shame cos both their goals were crap goals. De Vries had a hard time but I thought he did ok. Bolton were really quite poor but then again I guess they have more important matches to think about. But I think we did ourselves proud. Oh and the Reebok stadium is very nice

Just got back not much to say really :D

I'm very proud of them they out up a good fight.

Defended very well, i thoguht daniel had a good game, but hughes and williams looked off the pace really, although it was a cracker by williams :D Hammil didn't look at his best, sylla was ok not quick enough to the ball

Stearman, dublin, johansson, maybury all played brilliantly i thought. All looked very composed.

If de vries had pace he would be amazing, he held the ball up quite well tonight and turned their defenders quite a few times, just didn't have the pace to get away from them.

ANd finally how the hell dublins header didn't end up in the net i'll never know, an amazing save by jasskalinen ( i know its spelt wrong :P)

An all round good night :D

Sounds like another good performance on the back of Sheff Utd game. Well done to those that went and I have enjoyed reading the posts on this thread.

Allen you mentioned you would eat your hat if Leicester scored........If you dont have a hat I have one for you that you can eat, its got corks on to keep the flys away but I can advise the bottles of Red that needed opening for the corks have all been consumed. Much prefer a stubbie though!!!!

COME ON THE MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

Just got back not much to say really :D

I'm very proud of them they out up a good fight.

Defended very well, i thoguht daniel had a good game, but hughes and williams looked off the pace really, although it was a cracker by williams :D Hammil didn't look at his best, sylla was ok not quick enough to the ball

Stearman, dublin, johansson, maybury all played brilliantly i thought. All looked very composed.

If de vries had pace he would be amazing, he held the ball up quite well tonight and turned their defenders quite a few times, just didn't have the pace to get away from them.

ANd finally how the hell dublins header didn't end up in the net i'll never know, an amazing save by jasskalinen ( i know its spelt wrong :P)

An all round good night :D

Gotta agree with you there, I really didn't think they did too badly, Bolton are a very good team, although we didn't see all of it tonight. I'm a bit annoyed by the way people just assume we won't ever score a goal. A goal can just happen out of nothing and it's a bit negative when people suggest we will never score. I agree with what you say about De Vries, he really tried hard tonight and actually won his fair share of balls in the air. And going back to something Anish said on the previous page, yes we should feel proud of the team, yes they were the underdogs and yes we did well tonight.

A couple more points, both their goals were total crap. Williams goal was fantastic, it was better than the two Bolton goals put together. Dublin's header was very good at the end but Jaskelinen would have been very disappointed to not save it, it kinda looped over...a very good header though.

Archived