Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Bolton Match Thread

also i have just got back from the game. a top day/night out and so unlucky to come away from it losing.

Rab was good in goal, he made an early stop superbly with his foot and he commanded well, other than this he wasnt challenged too much.

the back four were great, maybury and stearman looked to attack at times & were fantastic. back to best with maybury and more of the same from stearman! johansson looked comfertable in his preferred role & dion was pretty phenomenal.

hammil was quite and didnt get stuck in much, tiatto i thought was exceptional with some good passing, good link up play and hard but fair tackles. williams mis-placed a few passes and looked a bit half hearted in the 1st half but 2nd he improved, and that goal was some shot i cant wait to see it tomorrow on the replays etc. Hughes was fairly non-existant this can only be because of his lack of match fitness. i hope he is back to best on saturday.

de vries showed good control and he did win alot of headers, he held the ball up well but his team mates werent always on the same level as him. shame. dublin so deserved another last-gasp goal but it was a fantastic save by jusi jaaskeliynen (sp?!)

in all fairness i am happy with the result, it was great feeling to score a goal. shove that quality strike in ya premiership hotpot! The Reebok is a nice ground to look at, but once inside it just feels like a baseball stadium, with the curved lines to the seats which are also let down by the fact they could fit so many more fans in (not that they had any, does anyone know the official ATT?) there fans were poor too they only had 1 song (WHO ARE YA?!) which isnt the most original is it? but this could be because that small corner which did sing was full of 10-12 year olds. i had some little rats outside the ground shouting me down as midland scum. i replied with a barrage of "dirty northern chav bastards" a few LCFC fans around me chuckled. it was also nice that our fans sang after we went 1-0 down, then 2-0 down and i loved to start the chant 3-2! were gonna win 3-2! after williams scored the belter. sadly it didnt happen and we had to go away singing leicester till i die whilst walking down the stairs which too was an amazing feeling to have that much spirit and atmosphere after losing. great job all travelling fans today! makes me want to do it so much more. im not going leeds and i cant make it to stoke due to work related activities but 17th dec seems so far away!

sorry this has been so long i have so much to say.

i also have about 18 photos i will put them on my pc 2moro if i find my USB is anyone willing to host? pm me an email adress thanks.

Don't try and saddle me with that second paragraph. I well knew our attacking options were limited - and said so earlier - but all the more reason not to ignore someone who gives us a reasonable chance of breaking through.

I wasn't trying to saddle you with my second paragraph--that's just silly sarcasm.

I was, though, trying to make a point you with my third: "I think Levein was more concerned with getting the 'Bolton 0' half of the scoreline in the first 90 minutes and I can't fault him for that." I know that you know the players, particularly those on the fringes of the first team, better than I. It just seems that Levein chose his back four to fit the strategy and tactics he had in mind.

It's no use arguing over player selection at this point. I'm sure you and I both agree that the players did well and (for the most part) Levein's tactics were good.

I just wonder what Levein will do at Leeds--The attacking play worked at home on Saturday, and the defensive strategy "worked" this evening in a tough away game, so does Levein stick with the conservative away approach? I suppose that's a matter for another day, another thread...

we were playing against a decent prem side who also play 4-5-1 and we held them extremely well, nobody can fault us for that and i respect Craig Levein 100% for doing it, he played the game fantastically. but if he does the same against Leeds i will be slightly baffled, we can beat Leeds but we need players like Hume, Smith, Gerrbrand, Hammond maybe to do so.

Haha, their younger fans really are little tossers. Walking back i got about 20 of them come up to me laughing at me, never had that an away game before to be honest, one older bloke did come up to me and shake my hand and said we was unlucky and good luck in the future n all that, which was quite a nice touch.

Overall, shit game until extra time, Williams goal was a corker! Dublin was sooooo close aswel :(

Well

Having been at the match and witnessing all that went on, I for one would like to congratulate CL for the performance he got from the team tonight.

I have said many times that he hasn't done it for me yet but the last two games have changed that for the moment.

Our quality was not always there but we had players who looked as though they wanted to wear the shirt. Despite some wayward passing at times, Williams showed what an influence he can still be for us.

Well done lads, well done CL and well done the crowd.

Levein gets what he deserves and Sheehan makes more attacking impact in five minutes than any other left back has for Leicester in weeks.

Morale of the story: Get a f'''''g manager who appreciates him instead on continually playing people out of position.

Levein, once again, never tried to win that game (apart for three minutes at the end of 90) he only responded with a genuine attacking move once we were 2-0 down.

Sheehan should have been on after 70 minutes when Bolton started rocking a little. Tactical cock-up.

Never mind. He'll get loads of praise for going into extra time all square. But he'll get sod all from me.

Sorry Thracian but I completely disagree with you there. Bolton play horrific football and are almost unbeatable at home and lots of teams have found that out when they've gone there and tried to ATTACK. We had a horrific selection of players to choose from tonight and even if we had wanted to attack I couldn't select a team worthy of attacking football from that mob.

Levein did actually say that he was intending to play Sheehan but with the way Bolton play football and the height of the balls coming in to the box he felt Stearman was better equipped to deal with it and by the sound sof it Stearman had a blinder. Sheehan also got an appearance near the end and played well by the sounds of it, what's up with that?

If you honestly think we could or should have gone to Bolton with those players and played attacking football then your selling yourself abit short there. We'd have been swept aside, they are a top 6 premiership side and a very disgusting one at that. Sometimes you cannot play attacking football and although Levein has previous for this, he made the right decision in what he wanted us to achieve last night and we almost did it. If we had some further attacking options and he didn't use them last night then fair enough I would agree with you, but even so your playing with fire unless you've got quality to unlock the way they play on their own turf. They RARELY lose at home against teams ten times better than us, it's a fact.

Well done boys, you did us proud and nobody can say there's no fight or passion in these Leicester players. Pick yourself up and get stuck in to Leeds on saturday. I guarantee we won't be playing 4-5-1 against Leeds.

Well

Having been at the match and witnessing all that went on, I for one would like to congratulate CL for the performance he got from the team tonight.

I have said many times that he hasn't done it for me yet but the last two games have changed that for the moment.

Our quality was not always there but we had players who looked as though they wanted to wear the shirt. Despite some wayward passing at times, Williams showed what an influence he can still be for us.

Well done lads, well done CL and well done the crowd.

Spot on. Premiership teams have gone to the Reebok and been turned over easily but we gave it a real go and i was proud to be a leicester fan last night. Considering it was a strong Bolton team and our starting 11 included 7 changes, it was a great performance. Levein was tactically spot on considering the players he had available to him and for once, even his substitutions looked to have given us new life as we went from strength to strength during the game.

I think the squad is really starting to gel and there actually seems to be a good spirit amongst the players, something that had been lacking for a while. If we can carry on the good performances, we'll be shooting up the league in no time, the dizzy heights of the top half await!

Well, what can I say, I'm so proud of the lads. I was talking to a Bolton steward before the game and he asked me what the score would be? 0-0 I replied, he laughed and started banging on about how Bolton were expecting nothing less than 3-0.

1st half was terrible and it was left to the Leicester fans to create an atmosphere (the Bolton fans were just shite all through the game) I don't know what CL said at half time but we were awesome, just like watching Brazil start of 2nd half! The work rate from the players was unbelievable, made me proud. When you think as well that we were missing key players and still holding our own with a top Premiership side, it shows just how strong our squad is!

Dion was immense, He eat every long ball up and then asked for dessert. I noticed he had a really good understanding with Williams. A long ball would come & Dion would cushion a header down to Williams who would then play a simple ball and we would clear, this happened about 10 times in the game.

Stearmen really impressed me, he looked like he was always in control and his level is definitely is the top one.

As for the fans, fantastic even when were 2-0 down! How much did we enjoy that Williams early Xmas present!!!!!

We do seem to have a lot of 14-16 year olds who are wannabie hooligans!! They look so pathetic when they turn to incite the crowd with their little 3 stone frames and puberty effected voices!! Anyone also notice how many weirdoes there are as well? It's like a freak show on the concourse at half time! Didn't see Bernie either!

All in all, I left the Reebok with a smile on my face and very proud of the lads. We gave it our all and that's all that matters, every single one of them played for the badge and the fans. Loved it when Dion came to clap us at the end and he didn't want to leave! What a player. Would prefer to lose 2-1 and have the players trying 100% than win 1-0 and be 99%. The futures definitely looking brighter.

totally agree with those who said they were proud to be a leicester fan!! apart from a few dodgy goings on i thought we did really well! i didnt think bolton were anything special thought to be honest!! i think we could of won it, if hammond and hume and smith could of played! i aint knocking what the lads did out there last night though!! gave it there all!!

how much did gallagher keep it prem!!!! tos ser

Well, what can I say, I'm so proud of the lads. I was talking to a Bolton steward before the game and he asked me what the score would be? 0-0 I replied, he laughed and started banging on about how Bolton were expecting nothing less than 3-0.

1st half was terrible and it was left to the Leicester fans to create an atmosphere (the Bolton fans were just shite all through the game) I don't know what CL said at half time but we were awesome, just like watching Brazil start of 2nd half! The work rate from the players was unbelievable, made me proud. When you think as well that we were missing key players and still holding our own with a top Premiership side, it shows just how strong our squad is!

Dion was immense, He eat every long ball up and then asked for dessert. I noticed he had a really good understanding with Williams. A long ball would come & Dion would cushion a header down to Williams who would then play a simple ball and we would clear, this happened about 10 times in the game.

Stearmen really impressed me, he looked like he was always in control and his level is definitely is the top one.

As for the fans, fantastic even when were 2-0 down! How much did we enjoy that Williams early Xmas present!!!!!

We do seem to have a lot of 14-16 year olds who are wannabie hooligans!! They look so pathetic when they turn to incite the crowd with their little 3 stone frames and puberty effected voices!! Anyone also notice how many weirdoes there are as well? It's like a freak show on the concourse at half time! Didn't see Bernie either!

All in all, I left the Reebok with a smile on my face and very proud of the lads. We gave it our all and that's all that matters, every single one of them played for the badge and the fans. Loved it when Dion came to clap us at the end and he didn't want to leave! What a player. Would prefer to lose 2-1 and have the players trying 100% than win 1-0 and be 99%. The futures definitely looking brighter.

That sort of comment really pisses me off, in the MON days whenever someone had come and and dissed us in the press he used to pin it up in the dressing room to get the players hyped up and generally it worked.

What a shame we couldnt have shoved their 3-0 up their arses, im still proud of them im loving this team spirit which seems to have come more to the fore during the Sheff Yoo game, keep it up lads :D

Levein gets what he deserves and Sheehan makes more attacking impact in five minutes than any other left back has for Leicester in weeks.

Morale of the story: Get a f'''''g manager who appreciates him instead on continually playing people out of position.

Levein, once again, never tried to win that game (apart for three minutes at the end of 90) he only responded with a genuine attacking move once we were 2-0 down.

Sheehan should have been on after 70 minutes when Bolton started rocking a little. Tactical cock-up.

Never mind. He'll get loads of praise for going into extra time all square. But he'll get sod all from me.

Interesting comments from someone who wasn't actually at the game.

Bolton have taken 13 out of 18 points at the Reebok this season, losing just once, and conceeding only the one goal at home all season until last night. What were you expecting? Newcastle, Pompey, West Brom and Spurs have not only lost there, but have all failed to score, along with Blackburn. I know we're improving, but let's be realistic and put things into perspective first.

The game should have gone to penalties, that was the fairest result, but doesn't the fact they put out a strong side whilst CL had to make changes (last night's starting line up would not be anyone's first choice remember) say anything?

You say CL never tried to win the game, but how do you know? You weren't there. Bolton are a dour, boring and frustrating side to play. I can see why attendances have dropped.

I haven't been entirely happy with progress, and tactics, and team choices at time, but there are two sides out there. Perhaps those who didn't go find last night's performance disappointing, but those who were there seem to be more than happy with it. What does that tell you?

Bolton have taken 13 out of 18 points at the Reebok this season, losing just once, and conceeding only the one goal at home all season until last night. What were you expecting? Newcastle, Pompey, West Brom and Spurs have not only lost there, but have all failed to score, along with Blackburn. I know we're improving, but let's be realistic and put things into perspective first.

The game should have gone to penalties, that was the fairest result, but doesn't the fact they put out a strong side whilst CL had to make changes (last night's starting line up would not be anyone's first choice remember) say anything?

You say CL never tried to win the game, but how do you know? You weren't there. Bolton are a dour, boring and frustrating side to play. I can see why attendances have dropped.

I haven't been entirely happy with progress, and tactics, and team choices at time, but there are two sides out there. Perhaps those who didn't go find last night's performance disappointing, but those who were there seem to be more than happy with it. What does that tell you?

agreed we were fantastic last night

Sorry Thracian but I completely disagree with you there. Bolton play horrific football and are almost unbeatable at home and lots of teams have found that out when they've gone there and tried to ATTACK. We had a horrific selection of players to choose from tonight and even if we had wanted to attack I couldn't select a team worthy of attacking football from that mob.

Levein did actually say that he was intending to play Sheehan but with the way Bolton play football and the height of the balls coming in to the box he felt Stearman was better equipped to deal with it and by the sound sof it Stearman had a blinder. Sheehan also got an appearance near the end and played well by the sounds of it, what's up with that?

If you honestly think we could or should have gone to Bolton with those players and played attacking football then your selling yourself abit short there. We'd have been swept aside, they are a top 6 premiership side and a very disgusting one at that. Sometimes you cannot play attacking football and although Levein has previous for this, he made the right decision in what he wanted us to achieve last night and we almost did it. If we had some further attacking options and he didn't use them last night then fair enough I would agree with you, but even so your playing with fire unless you've got quality to unlock the way they play on their own turf. They RARELY lose at home against teams ten times better than us, it's a fact.

Well done boys, you did us proud and nobody can say there's no fight or passion in these Leicester players. Pick yourself up and get stuck in to Leeds on saturday. I guarantee we won't be playing 4-5-1 against Leeds.

I can't believe you of all people haven't actually read what I said. I will write it in capitals. I DIDN'T SAY WE SHOULD ATTACK. I ALWAYS CONCEDED WE HADN'T GOT THE PLAYERS TO ATTACK (LEVEIN'S FAULT, BY THE WAY). I SAID WE SHOULD HAVE INTRODUCED SHEEHAN AFTER 70 MINUTES TO GIVE OURSELVES THE CHANCE OF USING HIS PASSING SKILLS TO ENGINEER A BREAKTHROUGH INSTEAD OF WAITING UNTIL FIVE MINUTES OR SO FROM TIME. WE HAD TO SCORE TO WIN.

We are all biased and rightly so but why should that blind everyone to the fact that we only did "well" because we played the sort of blanket defence which would make it hard for any team to score, we were over 90 minutes getting our first shot, the game was about as entertaining as a blank concrete wall and we didn't introduce our best passer/flighter of the ball until too late. Altogether too cautious. That is what I said and nothing I have seen or heard since suggests any different.

Furthermore it was EXACTLY the sort of game I thought it would be and described on the forum. It was a lousy advert for football and a lousy advert for Leicester City once again.

I well understand others will feel differently and respect their point of view and certainly admire anyone who travelled to Bolton knowing it was almost certain to be a torrid battle between two entrenched defences.

The TV people gave us as short a time as possible on screen which said it all to me and Radio Leicester described it as "horrible".

As for Levein and Sheehan - he forever justifies what he does but the fact is if it's not one excuse to leave him out it's another. His eventually playing well only emphasises my point. Had we used him after 70 minutes we might, just might have had the chance to win.

I wasn't trying to saddle you with my second paragraph--that's just silly sarcasm.

I was, though, trying to make a point you with my third: "I think Levein was more concerned with getting the 'Bolton 0' half of the scoreline in the first 90 minutes and I can't fault him for that." I know that you know the players, particularly those on the fringes of the first team, better than I. It just seems that Levein chose his back four to fit the strategy and tactics he had in mind.

It's no use arguing over player selection at this point. I'm sure you and I both agree that the players did well and (for the most part) Levein's tactics were good.

I just wonder what Levein will do at Leeds--The attacking play worked at home on Saturday, and the defensive strategy "worked" this evening in a tough away game, so does Levein stick with the conservative away approach? I suppose that's a matter for another day, another thread...

You are quite right about the players (mostly) giving their all and emerging with credit considering the limited options we had. I also accept that we can agree to differ about the tactics and now look forward to Leeds away.

Hold on Louise. There's plenty of people who weren't at the game and only had commentary to judge by (and the same is the case every week though I don't go suggesting their opinion is therefore irrelevent).

However I have since read in detail what's been said by those who were there and stand by everything I said.

Don't just blame Bolton for being boring - we contributed in equal measure as we have done in so many away games this season.

As I've said about others, I totally respect your point of view but don't ever ask me to condone negative football cos I won't.

Levein had no attacking options for this match because he hadn't signed any (despite it being obvious they were needed for months).

He was snookered yesterday and the players did their best to make something out of nothing. But no shots in 90 minutes Louise. If you're happy with that fine but I wouldn't wanna miss work to watch it. thanks.

My own sights are set much higher than that for this club and I am 100 per cent convinced we can achieve those expectations - but not like yesterday.

Hold on Louise. There's plenty of people who weren't at the game and only had commentary to judge by (and the same is the case every week though I don't go suggesting their opinion is therefore irrelevent).

However I have since read in detail what's been said by those who were there and stand by everything I said.

Don't just blame Bolton for being boring - we contributed in equal measure as we have done in so many away games this season.

As I've said about others, I totally respect your point of view but don't ever ask me to condone negative football cos I won't.

Levein had no attacking options for this match because he hadn't signed any (despite it being obvious they were needed for months).

He was snookered yesterday and the players did their best to make something out of nothing. But no shots in 90 minutes Louise. If you're happy with that fine but I wouldn't wanna miss work to watch it. thanks.

My own sights are set much higher than that for this club and I am 100 per cent convinced we can achieve those expectations - but not like yesterday.

I think you'll find that Lisa's name is not Louise.

Thrach, you are wrong about there not being a shot in 90 minutes.

Joey for one hit one just over the bar and De Vries put a header just wide (not a shot but an attempt on goal all the same) there were more I am sure.

As I said before, this wasn't all action out and out attacking but by no means does it warrant comparison to the Wolves game or some of the dross we have been served up this year.

I am not a CL fan but this was a class apart from other games.

Whats more, from my viewpoint the substitutions were well timed.

I agree with Lisa's view on this.

I think you'll find that Lisa's name is not Louise.

Thrach, you are wrong about there not being a shot in 90 minutes.

Joey for one hit one just over the bar and De Vries put a header just wide (not a shot but an attempt on goal all the same) there were more I am sure.

As I said before, this wasn't all action out and out attacking but by no means does it warrant comparison to the Wolves game or some of the dross we have been served up this year.

I am not a CL fan but this was a class apart from other games.

Whats more, from my viewpoint the substitutions were well timed.

I agree with Lisa's view on this.

Thanks about Lisa (and no offence intended). I did mean a shot on target (sorry not to make this clear) but the two shots you mentioned is hardly anything to be proud of.

All I seem to disagree with you on is the timing of Sheehan's substitution.

You wouldn't concede then that as he supplied a pass for Williams' goal (nothing special I know before you say) and then the ball for Dublin to almost score the equaliser, that he might have had greater effect being on before we were 2-0 down instead of eight minutes or so from the end?

As someone who went last night, I can confirm Sheehan was good going forward, especially with set pieces, during the time he was on.

However he was a little suspect in defence and got skinned by Vaz Te a couple of times. I can understand while CL didn't go with him from the start.

If we'd switched to 4-4-2 after 70 minutes we could have nicked the game in normal time. Bolton looked very suspect when under pressure and we had a decent handball shout turned down. Dion also had a half-chance right on the-whistle with our first shot on target.

Defeat in any competition against any opposition is never an enjoyable experience, but given the number of players we had missing we acquitted ourselves well.

Special thanks to Stearman and Joey who were superb.

Let's hope for a return to winning ways at Leeds!

I can't believe you of all people haven't actually read what I said. I will write it in capitals. I DIDN'T SAY WE SHOULD ATTACK. I ALWAYS CONCEDED WE HADN'T GOT THE PLAYERS TO ATTACK (LEVEIN'S FAULT, BY THE WAY). I SAID WE SHOULD HAVE INTRODUCED SHEEHAN AFTER 70 MINUTES TO GIVE OURSELVES THE CHANCE OF USING HIS PASSING SKILLS TO ENGINEER A BREAKTHROUGH INSTEAD OF WAITING UNTIL FIVE MINUTES OR SO FROM TIME. WE HAD TO SCORE TO WIN.

We are all biased and rightly so but why should that blind everyone to the fact that we only did "well" because we played the sort of blanket defence which would make it hard for any team to score, we were over 90 minutes getting our first shot, the game was about as entertaining as a blank concrete wall and we didn't introduce our best passer/flighter of the ball until too late. Altogether too cautious. That is what I said and nothing I have seen or heard since suggests any different.

Furthermore it was EXACTLY the sort of game I thought it would be and described on the forum. It was a lousy advert for football and a lousy advert for Leicester City once again.

I well understand others will feel differently and respect their point of view and certainly admire anyone who travelled to Bolton knowing it was almost certain to be a torrid battle between two entrenched defences.

The TV people gave us as short a time as possible on screen which said it all to me and Radio Leicester described it as "horrible".

As for Levein and Sheehan - he forever justifies what he does but the fact is if it's not one excuse to leave him out it's another. His eventually playing well only emphasises my point. Had we used him after 70 minutes we might, just might have had the chance to win.

Honestly Thracian, It was 55-65 minutes that we really turned it on, we looked hungry and had Bolton running scared. I was surprised when reading the match thread that people didn't comment on this spell, weather that was Barber portraying the game in a different way or what i don't know.

The three way's in which you can take in a match is either radio, TV or actually going. All give a totally different aspect of what’s going on. For instance, On TV you don't get to see player's running off the ball you just see what the director think's you will want to see.

Something happened last night that I have not seen from Leicester for a long time, there was an aura that you can't teach a team on the training ground or ever try and understand. I left feeling better than any other game I've seen Leicester win recently.... Sheff Wed! It was FOOKING AMAZING!!! BLUE ARMY :scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Apologies Thracian, I got the wrong end of the stick. I sensed that you were pissed off with the way Levein had gone about things against Bolton and I was just replying that you often have to fight fire with fire against Bolton at home and we did do and it nearly paid off. Had we gone the other route, I think we would have been swept away like teams often have at The Reebok this season. I do agree that it would have been nice to see Sheehan on earlier as it appeared he was great going forward.

Archived