Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

TV's

Bound to be some audio buffs on here!!?..

I've owned a Philips ambilight TV for many years (different models).. Have an OLED version which I want to replace because of some screen burn.

I also have a Sonos soundbar and Bass Sub.

The Philips TV I'm interested in is the 55oled907 which has a Bowers and Wilkins soundbar incorporated...

What I'm trying to establish is whether I can link my Sonos audio system with the B&W that comes with the TV?

37 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Bound to be some audio buffs on here!!?..

I've owned a Philips ambilight TV for many years (different models).. Have an OLED version which I want to replace because of some screen burn.

I also have a Sonos soundbar and Bass Sub.

The Philips TV I'm interested in is the 55oled907 which has a Bowers and Wilkins soundbar incorporated...

What I'm trying to establish is whether I can link my Sonos audio system with the B&W that comes with the TV?

Yes, the Sonos can be booked up via HDMI to the TV so all good

11 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Do they both have digital optical? What I use for my TV/sound bar

The B & W soundbar is integrated into the TV...

But yes I can connect the Sonos to the TV using an optical cable.

Just not sure if they would both synch?..

Reluctant to stop using the Sonos as it's great sound, but if I could get both systems working together the sound could be awesome?

26 minutes ago, weller54 said:

The B & W soundbar is integrated into the TV...

But yes I can connect the Sonos to the TV using an optical cable.

Just not sure if they would both synch?..

Reluctant to stop using the Sonos as it's great sound, but if I could get both systems working together the sound could be awesome?

You might be able to choose the source of your sound in settings? If you can, tell the tv to play sound from your Sonos rather than the integrated sound. I can't imagine how 2 different sound sources could sync perfectly, but that doesn't mean it's not possible!

• Like 1

As soon as you connect the Sonos Soundbar to your TV all the internal speakers will turn off and audio will default to the bar. Certain TV's allow the combination of TV Speakers and Soundbar, mainly Samsung through their Q-Symphony technology, but your integrated bar cannot work in unison with your Sonos unfortunately.

Edited by Des.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I looked at the 907 with the integrated sound bar having had an ambilight in the past.  As has been mentioned, running this and the Sonos together will cause problems.  A quick google search and there's various issues on AV forums for instance.  As for TVs, take a look at the C2 or G2.  Fantastic OLEDs imo and great value for money since the C3/G3s are just round the corner so now is a good time to buy.

12 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I looked at the 907 with the integrated sound bar having had an ambilight in the past.  As has been mentioned, running this and the Sonos together will cause problems.  A quick google search and there's various issues on AV forums for instance.  As for TVs, take a look at the C2 or G2.  Fantastic OLEDs imo and great value for money since the C3/G3s are just round the corner so now is a good time to buy.

Thanks...

Always had Philips and I would miss the ambilight now! So I'm a bit snookered.

I love my Sonos audio too so it looks like the 907 is out.

Perhaps I'll go for the 807?

48 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Thanks...

You got some shite aux speakers to test it on? 

53 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Thanks...

You can get the ambilight effect with the separate led bars.  They work in synch with other models of TV.  Worth checking out if you can't make do without fancy lighting!  :thumbup:

8 hours ago, weller54 said:

Thanks...

I think that's a good option, it looks sleeker without the inbuilt soundbar (which you don't need), it's cheaper and has the bottom light too (I think 🤔).  We also like the ambilights, haven't got an oled one though....yet. 

45 minutes ago, Flamey said:

I think that's a good option, it looks sleeker without the inbuilt soundbar (which you don't need), it's cheaper and has the bottom light too (I think 🤔).  We also like the ambilights, haven't got an oled one though....yet. 

Think you're right!!

And the 807 does have 4 sided ambilight.

My only reservation with these OLED screens is burn lines!

I'm having to replace my 2nd one because of it!!.. although I believe the latest models have better protection against the problem now.

• Like 1

Why would you want an integrated sound bar into your telly?  If you have a Sonos sound bar and sub, you’ve got a nice set up…

get a couple of ikea symfonisk book shelf speakers if you want wireless rear speakers too (they go straight into the Sonos echo system)

As for the TV, the best affordable tech is OLED and LG are the brand leaders I’d guess…. I have one and the picture is impeccable!

A top tip for making dumb speakers/ stereos smart is to add an AirPort Express (£30 second hand on eBay)…. A nice quality DAC with the ability use Airplay 2…. If you have an apple iPhone it transforms anything into a smart speaker…. Great bit of kit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Why would you want an integrated sound bar into your telly?  If you have a Sonos sound bar and sub, you’ve got a nice set up…

get a couple of ikea symfonisk book shelf speakers if you want wireless rear speakers too (they go straight into the Sonos echo system)

As for the TV, the best affordable tech is OLED and LG are the brand leaders I’d guess…. I have one and the picture is impeccable!

A top tip for making dumb speakers/ stereos smart is to add an AirPort Express (£30 second hand on eBay)…. A nice quality DAC with the ability use Airplay 2…. If you have an apple iPhone it transforms anything into a smart speaker…. Great bit of kit!

Thought the integrated soundbar would look neater...but I don't think it will sound as good as the Sonos separates!..so ditched that idea now.

Going to go for the Philips 807 ... I'd have to faff around with led ambilight affects if I change to a LG and can't be arsed with that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If someone offered me an OLED with ambilight or a top of the range OLED, I'd choose the top of the range OLED every time.  The technology has even now surpassed a quality Panasonic plasma and is the way to go imo.

I think Philips OLED is up there with the best?... That's what I've read when researching anyway?

30 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Thinking about getting a Sonos set myself. Haven’t done any research yet other than googling what sets are available, they seem to range from 700ish to 2k ish. 

Just stumbled across this thread and seen them mentioned so thought I’d ask if anyone could recommend which to get?

My Sonos soundbar and Sub are about 5 years old now but cannot warrant replacing with the latest versions as the sound I get is fantastic!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's up there but it isn't top tier.  The LG C2 or G2, Sony A90 and Panny LZ2000 are considered to be top tier generally.  

Bought the Philips 55oled807 today and pleased with it.

Bought from Richer Sounds for £1299...

6 year warranty.

Looked at the LG which was smart!!

...but can't be without ambilight 😁!!

Edited by weller54
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, weller54 said:

Bought the Philips 55oled807 today and pleased with it.

Bought from Richer Sounds for £1299...

6 year warranty.

Looked at the LG which was smart!!

...but can't be without ambilight 😁!!

Enjoy your new toy!

It'll seem like a really dumb question but as someone that has only ever had pretty crap TVs in grand scheme of things (my Samsung smart TV cost £350 9 years ago), what's the benefit in buying expensive ones?

I know quite a few people with massive TVs but not really premium models.

I ask this as someone who's spent a lot on audio kit (£100 on speaker cable being the last thing I bought) but the world of posh tellies is a bit of a mystery to me. Perhaps for the sake of my bank balance it should stay that way

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Enjoy your new toy!

It'll seem like a really dumb question but as someone that has only ever had pretty crap TVs in grand scheme of things (my Samsung smart TV cost £350 9 years ago), what's the benefit in buying expensive ones?

I know quite a few people with massive TVs but not really premium models.

I ask this as someone who's spent a lot on audio kit (£100 on speaker cable being the last thing I bought) but the world of posh tellies is a bit of a mystery to me. Perhaps for the sake of my bank balance it should stay that way

Assume you like to hear premium audio?

A top end TV gives you a premium viewing experience.

Simple as that really.