Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

OH Leuven Thread 23/24

On 02/11/2023 at 22:14, sacreblueits442 said:

2023-11-02a.png.0194f6ed192ae7f54b6f7d9475753616.png

...my biggest worry is his history so far in management!!!

He is good where he should be as his team dominates the league (Salzburg and Macabi) where they are big dogs, hard to mess up. His figures in respect of the other clubs are a nightmare, it is a big worry.

He got a win percentage of about 40% or more at every club he coached for a season or more, with the exception of Celta, where he took over when they were four points away from a safe spot and who he guided to safety, and Reims, who were relegation candidate and where he finished 12th. He also launched quite a few youngsters there, including Ekitike who is now at PSG.

PS: I would also like to point out that Maccabi hadn't been champions for about ten years before he joined. They finished sixth the year before he made them win the league.

• Like 2

...watching that, was akin to me watching Leicester Women's play!!!

They can't keep the ball, can't keep their balance and are weak in their challenges and seems like someone had (for the first time) just  introduced  a football to the whole team.

I hope there will be early changes in the second half, we look ragged.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...watching that, was akin to me watching Leicester Women's play!!!

They can't keep the ball, can't keep their balance and are weak in their challenges and seems like someone had (for the first time) just  introduced  a football to the whole team.

I hope there will be early changes in the second half, we look ragged.

Think it's actually quite sound without the ball, but we're really struggling in possession. 

...I  thought we had held on for a draw, we went on to concede 2 sloppy goals with the defence at sixes and sevens!!!

They were much the better team, just wasteful initially in their last third, disappointed that we could not hold out for the draw. Hindsight would suggest we change it up and put up a deep block after we scored, we missed an opportunity there.

Spelling error.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  thought we had held on for a draw, we went on to concede 2 sloppy goals with the defence at sixes and sevens!!!

They were much the better team, just wasteful initially in their last third, disappointed that we could not hold out for the draw. Hindsight would suggest we change it up and put up a deep block after we scored, we missed an opportunity there.

Problem is that we just turned it around prior to the equalizer to take out a midfielder for a striker (Brunes, who scored the goal). Gutting to come so close, but all in all I'm happy that we had everything to play for until the final minutes which is not something I had expected right now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A narrow loss at home against Club Brugge today. A very good debut for leysen in goal with Prevot injured, hopefully Garcia keeps him in the first team. Misao went off injured without an opponent nearby, something with his heel so fears for another achilles tendon tear, would be the third in a year and a half.. We're ridiculously unlucky with these injuries.

On the game itself, there's definite improvement on the defensive side but we're still very weak going forward. Opoku got his second start after Genk but was once again very disappointing and subbed just after the break. Brunes came on but didn't do any better, we're very much lacking someone up front. I feel that is the missing link right now.

• Like 2

...there are a lot of players in this team that are very much the same!!!

Any changes do not give the team a discernable new direction or way of affecting the game. We did have a very good spell when we looked the better team and had them under pressure, but our only real threat came from Thorsteinsson who is adequate but hasn't the guile to capitalise on the openings that came his way.

I must admit I was expecting a new style of play to be on display, but we looked the same as we did under Brys. The players did work hard for the cause, but Brugge was a deserved winner.

20 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there are a lot of players in this team that are very much the same!!!

Any changes do not give the team a discernable new direction or way of affecting the game. We did have a very good spell when we looked the better team and had them under pressure, but our only real threat came from Thorsteinsson who is adequate but hasn't the guile to capitalise on the openings that came his way.

I must admit I was expecting a new style of play to be on display, but we looked the same as we did under Brys. The players did work hard for the cause, but Brugge was a deserved winner.

The team setup looks the same with 5 at the back. But the instructions were a lot different. Out of possession we formed a compact block, in possession we played open and wide. We pushed them to their own a few times too. This we had never seen before under Brys. Defensively we were very solid and didn't leave any gaps so that they could get us on the counter. The defensive midfielders and wing backs defended on the same line as the central defenders so Club didn't get any breathing room. We had our chances but failed to score. Our coach did a great job in those 3 weeks so far and I am curious to see how they all will evolve. But we do need reinforcements in the front. Sadly we will miss Misao for a couple of months as well. 

• Like 3

...watching the game v Antwerp, we are causing ourselves so many problems as we struggle to do the basics well!!!

Antwerp are such a good technical team, every pass sticks and they have flare players who are not prima donnas. Antwerps #10 is tricky, he can beat a man at will, with no need for stepovers, drops his shoulders, takes the ball to the byline and cuts it back, someone who understands his role.

We have had half chances but the percentage of play is way in Antwerp's favour. 

One hour is gone and OHL are a goal down, I wonder if we can steal a point at the back end of this game, Antwerp is not going for the kill, but moving OHL around a bit though.

Spelling error.
  • Like 1