Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ryy

OH Leuven Thread 23/24

On 17/12/2023 at 21:38, Bonanza said:

We just need to start winning games.

Yesterday's loss was a tough one. We should've been up 3-0 at the half, but it's clear we lack quality in front of goal. A win, along with last week's draw, could've been a big confidence boost and given us the opportunity to be out of the relegation spots before the winter break.

I really doubt the return of Maertens and Ricca will have a immediate impact. They've been out for so long, so it'll take time for them to reach their old/normal level. It's clear we need some new players in January. The problem is that a club like OHL can't really sign good players in January, because they're either too expensive or they're not match fit.

Maertens could be faster than you think as he's probably conditionally ok considering his absence isn't muscle or joint injury related. :) But yeah, scoring is hard for us. I think that apart from that, there's enough quality in the team to stay up. And if we play like we did against Cercle every game from now on out, there's no way we'll go down.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

Genk match, a rare chance to watch OHL stateside on a legit stream.  The back line look like they are being introduced to the game of football...

Brys wasn't the only problem eh?

He obviously wasn't, but he's partly responsible for how the squad is set up and at least partly responsible for the injuries we have due to his ridiculous physical training regimen. That said, yesterday was probably one of our worst games of the season, day and night difference with the game against Cercle. The only good news is that according to Schrijvers, Garcia actually told the players after the game how it is and actually questioned their motivation and will to win. But that all means nothing if there's no reaction on Tuesday, in a must win game before the break.

I also think that a lot comes down to a lack of leadership on the pitch. De Norre left in the summer, Maertens (our skipper) has been out for a long time and Ricca, another leader at the back, tore his hamstring a few months ago. These are the kinds of players that the rest can hang onto when things go bad. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bonanza said:

hammaya-relaxed.gif

Well deserved victory after a fantastic first half. A real belter from Thorstseinsson set us on our way after only one minute and some beautiful build up play, including a very subtle assist from Brunes, allowed Maziz to score the second. A bit of a disappointing second half though, something Garcia also mentioned after the game, where Eupen got several very good chances to get back into the game. My feeling is that it was the nerves getting to the players, which is understandable considering the rut we found ourselves in. Finally finished the game off a few minutes before the end after an excellent counter attack with our new Thai wonderboy scoring his first.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Well deserved victory after a fantastic first half. A real belter from Thorstseinsson set us on our way after only one minute and some beautiful build up play, including a very subtle assist from Brunes, allowed Maziz to score the second. A bit of a disappointing second half though, something Garcia also mentioned after the game, where Eupen got several very good chances to get back into the game. My feeling is that it was the nerves getting to the players, which is understandable considering the rut we found ourselves in. Finally finished the game off a few minutes before the end after an excellent counter attack with our new Thai wonderboy scoring his first.

Ik Opoku had an injury but he’s not really done much this season. Probs don’t have a future here sadly 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ryy said:

Ik Opoku had an injury but he’s not really done much this season. Probs don’t have a future here sadly 

His appearance off the bench against Cercle ten days ago was downright awful, and it wasn't the first time. Nothing to do with fitness but everything with mentality in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if we send him back during the winter break as it's quite obvious that Brunes and Nsingi are ahead of him and that we're in the market for at least one more striker, which will be one of Garcia's guys.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

His appearance off the bench against Cercle ten days ago was downright awful, and it wasn't the first time. Nothing to do with fitness but everything with mentality in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if we send him back during the winter break as it's quite obvious that Brunes and Nsingi are ahead of him and that we're in the market for at least one more striker, which will be one of Garcia's guys.

Opoku looked very promising in the last 3 games of last season, but has been awful this season. It's not easy for a young player to play well in a team that struggles like we do.

That being said, I agree with you that we should send him back to Leicester so that they can send him on loan to another team where he can take a fresh start. It would also give us the space to sign a new striker, which we desperately need.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a  very slight rumour that we're interested in bringing in Kasey McAteer on loan. I'm assuming it's him at least, as the person who dropped it talked about McAllister who's never played at Leicester. :D

I've noticed he had a few spells in your first team in September and November, but then got completely dropped. Can you shed some insight on him?

Small update:

According to Japanese media we're going to sign Takahiro Akimoto from Urawa Dragons (Japanese 1st division) on loan with an option to buy

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/takahiro-akimoto/profil/spieler/733309

Rafael Holzhauser is no longer at OHL. The club and player have parted ways on mutual agreement 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/raphael-holzhauser/profil/spieler/104414

Hamza Mendyl was going to sign for Adama Demirspor, but the deal is off because Demirspor has a transfer ban.

Mathieu Maertens and Federico Ricca are back in training after being out with injuries since the beginning of the season. They both played in our friendly against Sparta Rotterdam.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 20:46, KlaaZ said:

There's a  very slight rumour that we're interested in bringing in Kasey McAteer on loan. I'm assuming it's him at least, as the person who dropped it talked about McAllister who's never played at Leicester. :D

I've noticed he had a few spells in your first team in September and November, but then got completely dropped. Can you shed some insight on him?

He was injured for a while, and during that time Mavadidi and Fatawu became nailed on starters.

• Like 1