Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Rugby World Cup 2023

On 19/10/2023 at 11:28, Finnegan said:

Flip a coin. Whoever turns up on the day. 

Recent history between them is exceptionally close. You could make well researched, clever, tactical points about the strengths, weaknesses and form of either team and make an argument for them winning. 

The fact is they're two of the best teams of the last two world cup cycles (if not more) and it's a winner takes all cup game. Whoever turns up more switched on and up for it will probably win and if they both are it'll probably end up decided by a bit of luck or an official's interpretation of the rules. 

I reckon for the abs they peaked with beating Ireland, a bit like England did when knocking out the ABs 4 years ago and then had nothing left for the final. Then again you could make the same argument for SA. 

It's going to be a class game that's for sure. 

38 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I reckon for the abs they peaked with beating Ireland, a bit like England did when knocking out the ABs 4 years ago and then had nothing left for the final. Then again you could make the same argument for SA. 

It's going to be a class game that's for sure. 

The difference there is that England in 2019 had a game plan that was specifically perfect to counter the All Blacks. It's like Eddie had been preparing for that one game for the entire world cup cycle and didn't have a plan for the final. 

Those couple of games were a really good example of the rock, paper, scissors nature of sporting tactics. 

The idea that England gassed themselves in the semi has always been a bit of a myth. Their game plan just wasn't ever going to work as well against the Saffers who were better in every department at almost everything England wanted to do. 

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not sure I see the logic behind that one tbh.

My logic has been flawed all through this tournament to be honest BUT the Argentina have recent history of beating New Zealand (twice). Teams who beat Ireland in a QF, historically always lose the SF and last week will have exhausted New Zealand. IF Argentina don't fall behind early then they can frustrate the All Blacks and in an arm wrestle it's 50/50. But I don't think that'll happen and New Zealand will probably be too strong as they can score out of nothing.

As for the other, I just don't see a single way that England can beat South Africa besides some freak events happening. They kick better, they attack better, they defend better, they hit harder etc. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

My logic has been flawed all through this tournament to be honest BUT the Argentina have recent history of beating New Zealand (twice). Teams who beat Ireland in a QF, historically always lose the SF and last week will have exhausted New Zealand. IF Argentina don't fall behind early then they can frustrate the All Blacks and in an arm wrestle it's 50/50. But I don't think that'll happen and New Zealand will probably be too strong as they can score out of nothing.

As for the other, I just don't see a single way that England can beat South Africa besides some freak events happening. They kick better, they attack better, they defend better, they hit harder etc. 

That's fair, thanks for the explanation.

Personally I think it'll take freak events, like red cards, to give a chance for Argentina or England in both of their matches.

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

Agreed with this. If Arg vs NZ becomes a physical game of attrition then you'd fancy Argentina as NZ are a little lacking in size and power. However England can't drag SA into that game as SA are the world's most powerful side and on top of that they are quick and creative like NZ. 

Don't like this ref.

He's letting NZ run over the ball without forming a ruck and getting in the way of the Argies trying to ruck properly.

It won't make a difference to the result but I can see why Montoya isn't happy.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1

Argentina…are/were never as fit through the tournament,than All blacks,or other teams.

The forwards were too cumbersome. They have found some great individuals over these last few years,

but despite small successes, 10-12 players have to reach that high minimum & power & technic to hit back..

At present,gaps have been closed,but top 4 needs have more mental physical power in Rugby,than other other sports,

Once breaking through..Argies reaching XXx-semi-finals,has been a great lift, but some of those players just couldn’t take

a 3-4 season consistent power season..

Aussies’NZ,England’ Ireland ,then occasionally France can find that type of turn over…

Welsh often major injuries stopped them.

Scots..their media are big talkers..

SA…have found deservedly a few more seasons high peaks’ and quality, quality players, covering through the whole squad.

which could lead to an English big defeat,but the English aren’t short of skill,on the days they show that stubborn strength.Low penalty counts will keep England in the game..

Edited by fuchsntf