Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Rugby World Cup 2023

With England (and Wales) first warm up game this weekend, and the tournament a month away, I thought I might start the thread.

The Group Stage draw is a disgrace with the top 5 sides all on the same side of the draw, meaning only 2 will make the semi's. That's why it's a bad idea to do a draw three years out from the tournament.

Group A

France

New Zealand

Italy

Uruguay

Namibia

Group B

Ireland

South Africa

Scotland

Tonga

Romania

Group C

Australia

Wales

Fiji

Georgia

Portugal

Group D

England

Argentina

Japan

Samoa

Chile

I think France have to be the favourites on home soil, however Ireland have been amazingly consistent recently and are world no.1's for a reason. New Zealand have also looked fearsome over the past few weeks. I'd be surprised if one of those three didn't win it. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 2

It's quite close between France, NZ, Ireland and SA quality wise. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ireland and France win their groups but get beat by NZ /SA in the quarters. As you say France have to be slight favourites due to home advantage. 

No Sexton for our warm ups for his deserved ban.

More importantly, I discovered last week that I've got something on at the same day and time as the rugby world cup final that I cant get out of unless I upset some very close people. Great.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

It's quite close between France, NZ, Ireland and SA quality wise. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ireland and France win their groups but get beat by NZ /SA in the quarters. As you say France have to be slight favourites due to home advantage. 

No Sexton for our warm ups for his deserved ban.

More importantly, I discovered last week that I've got something on at the same day and time as the rugby world cup final that I cant get out of unless I upset some very close people. Great.

What for the close people?? When you watch the final??:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Never in my life have I been less excited for a RWC. 

It hasn't stopped my Welsh boss being booked up for a trip to France every weekend in Sept/October. His calendar is hilarious with flights, Eurostar trains etc. 

For the game in Marseille, he's on Eurostar to Lille and then TGV from Lille to Marseille. One trip is via Frankfurt Airport. 

17 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I was at the game on Saturday. England have got serious problems. On a sidenote, Cardiff when the rugby is on is incredible. 

You should go when it actually matters haha. Terrific match day during the 6N.

But yeah it's the best venue for NH rugby. Not only a great stadium but being so central and right next to the pubs in such a compact city where everyone goes bonkers for match day its cracking. 

Some big calls on big named players being made in country squads, Jones not picking Hooper or Cooper & Ikitau for Oz & Nienaber leaving out Pollard & Am for SA as well as Borthwick not picking Slade all players you'd xcpect to make the final cut.
Happy for Tigers to have Pollard fresh although doubts over injury issues still with him.

17 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I wonder who’s going to win the afters now Farrell v Biggar?

By rights, Owen Farrell should see an extremely long ban. He should get probably the longest ban that's legally possible. The longest one handed out to date for head shots.

I don't mean this as some sort of anti-England, chip-on-the-shoulder, typically Welsh thing. I don't give a fvck who won today, it's a friendly and a bit of a laugh, I've been having a giggle with English friends all afternoon about the card count in that match and I don't give a stuff we lost. But he's the biggest repeat offender in the sport, to the extent that it's actually become a meme. He got away with it, inexplicably, countless times historically before World Rugby really properly started to clamp down on head contact.

He's been to "Tackle School" already this year, which is like rugby's version of going on a speed awareness course when you're caught going over the limit.

His tackle again today was just horrific. It wasn't an accident, he wasn't caught unfortunately in a bad position, he wasn't unlucky because the ref was harsh on mitigation - he just shoulder barged yet another player in the head at full force because that's what he does. 

• Like 1

Ooh I agree he will get the 6 weeks for sure but the way Biggar was getting involved and the manner and words spoken considering they are probably friends(ish) being away with Lions for instance just seemed over the top & id imagine there might be something happening in the dressing room.