Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
worth_the_wait

50 years ago today. "Oh yes for the youngster!"

8 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

One of the great days in Leicester City's history.    But where have those 50 years gone?     I remember it like it was yesterday.

I got crushed behind that goal. Couldn't even get my hands in the air! I'd never heard of the Youngster (he was older than me!) before that. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

50 years ago….

jesus ,now I am here…70 tomorrow,

Big Day!! 
Those Joe Waters goals..Upto our title year then FA.cup win

Was for none trophy years,one of my top 5 memories from the foxes.

Many Happy returns for tomorrow. As a 72 years old we must have experienced the same highs and lows - even now but never a dull moment 🙂.

16 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

What a cup run that was!

Last minute winner by Earle v Spurs at home 3rd round.

37000 at filbert Street for the 4th round 2-1 replay win against Fulham, after we drew 1-1 at their place, with Mullery scoring goal of the season for them.

Demolition of soon to be promoted Luton away 5th round, when City fans were all over the ground.

Joe Waters debut and 2 goals away at QPR in the quarters, then a bit of a damp squib at old Trafford for the 0-0 in the first semi game with Liverpool, when we didn't really turn up, and should have lost, but then the heartbreaking defeat in the replay at Villa Park, where we played much better, and we were daring to dream, until Keegan scored out of nothing to knock the stuffing out of us. 

Their 3rd goal doesn't happen if we were still level at that point, we just got caught chasing the game.

I was only a kid in 1974, but still remember the buzz around the City that, that Cup run brought. 

Great days!

I went to every one of those games in the '74 Cup run as a 15 year old. Convinced that we would win it after growing up with the heatbreaking FA Cup stories told by my dad and uncles. Probably why our eventual win was so special even though I couldn't go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

One of the great days in Leicester City's history.    But where have those 50 years gone?     I remember it like it was yesterday.

I remember watching that first goal on Match of the Day.  I was only 7.  Memory is weird; it seemed/seems like I was already established as  Leicester fan at that time.  I'd only been to one or two games.

Seeing the players come over.  Instantly recognising Rofe, Worthington, Sammels, Weller...   I'd forgotten about Sammels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

50 years ago….

Big Day!! 

Happy birthday for tomorrow 

50 years ago….

Big Day!! 

Happy Birthday for tomorrow bud.

i think grimsby town pulled out some unusual stops to get joe up their and i don't blame them , we should have kept him and sent birch up to cleethorpes who he had replaced that day . thanks for the video wtw:schmike:

Another example of Barry Davies's brilliant commentary.

As discussed recently, his commentary of the 1982 FA Cup Quarter Final v Shrewsbury Town was perfect.   None of the sycophantic pre-rehersed cliche rubbish; just observational comments at their finest.   I always thought he was the Richie Benaud of football.

This was 8 years earlier, when he was still relatively inexperienced.   But his "oh yes, for the youngster" on the first goal just captured the moment.   And after the 2nd goal, he can see Joe Water's face and just comes straight out with the observation "I don't think he can possibly believe it."

Word perfect.

I was there behind the goal with my then girlfriend and my mate. We all threw bog rolls that we had nicked from the football special we travelled down on when the second goal went in.

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

50 years ago….

Big Day!! 

Happy birthday.

Before my time but family talk about that game a lot and I always enjoy seeing the goal.

2 hours ago, smudger63 said:

What a cup run that was!

Last minute winner by Earle v Spurs at home 3rd round.

37000 at filbert Street for the 4th round 2-1 replay win against Fulham, after we drew 1-1 at their place, with Mullery scoring goal of the season for them.

Demolition of soon to be promoted Luton away 5th round, when City fans were all over the ground.

Joe Waters debut and 2 goals away at QPR in the quarters, then a bit of a damp squib at old Trafford for the 0-0 in the first semi game with Liverpool, when we didn't really turn up, and should have lost, but then the heartbreaking defeat in the replay at Villa Park, where we played much better, and we were daring to dream, until Keegan scored out of nothing to knock the stuffing out of us. 

Their 3rd goal doesn't happen if we were still level at that point, we just got caught chasing the game.

I was only a kid in 1974, but still remember the buzz around the City that, that Cup run brought. 

Great days!

Yes probably that season for my generation at the time ,WAS something special,

that was the base of several top games in a season….Wellers goal of the decade,

Liverpool-Leicester fans got on well & even bonded before and after the game,

( considering the times)

I believe we shared our dislike at the time for Newcastle

• Like 1

Support during that cup run was awesome. Was a pleasure being part of it. Not so much a pleasure getting insulted these days as the  blanket and flask brigade by ignorant and silly youngsters, but you can't legislate for ignorance. 

• Like 3

Here is a great 50+ minutes of Big match..

representing the good + the bad of the times..

Manutd relegation & Fans pitch invasion

Many small things…

seeing players,writers,commentators on the Panel being themselves

The presentation of the period,

The dress style or dress sense…

Major points towards the end 1974

BBC MOD was & still is my favourite..

but ITV big match had some good themes of the day coverage,

IMO better then than most of ITV coverage.

Though Roy Keane when on Panels are very interesting in a positive way

Both Weller & Birches goal competing with each other…

But as said the whole video would also be an interesting watch for modern fans

Though not Leicester based until the marvellous last 1/4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerry said:

Many Happy returns for tomorrow. As a 72 years old we must have experienced the same highs and lows - even now but never a dull moment 🙂.

Even in my bad days or down times,very few….never a dull moment

except they destroyed my School & kept Eton :mad:  :dunno:

Yes probably that season for my generation at the time ,WAS something special,

that was the base of several top games in a season….Wellers goal of the decade,

Liverpool-Leicester fans got on well & even bonded before and after the game,

( considering the times)

I believe we shared our dislike at the time for Newcastle

Didn't notice any of that lol

Some filthy Scouse blew his nose on my mates City scarf outside Villa Park. Hated them ever since. 

Wouldn't it be a cool touch to create a one off commemorative white and blue trim kit for this game and, in a way, for the quarter final at Chelsea in 1997.

Even better if we could resist daubing the obligatory Top tribute Thai elephant gold trinkets all over it 

28 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I loved that team and can still name all the players. I was only five but can’t believe it was fifty years ago. 

Me too. That's why I'd love to see some wall sculpture/art included in the stadium makeover celebrating the Bloomfield Boys. 

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Me too. That's why I'd love to see some wall sculpture/art included in the stadium makeover celebrating the Bloomfield Boys. 

Trouble is who would you have on the plinth. ?  Wallington whitworth weller and worthington. What about the likes of rofe Sammels kenber lee earl garland etc. too many to choose from. 

4 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Trouble is who would you have on the plinth. ?  Wallington whitworth weller and worthington. What about the likes of rofe Sammels kenber lee earl garland etc. too many to choose from. 

I wouldn't suggest a statue. Just some sort of wall art that could include the major characters from the era.