Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

Steve Cotterill

I think that the appointment of Steve Cotteril has its plus points, but also its negative points: -

Plus- Could get us scrappy, ugly 1-0 wins which we are in desperate need of

- Could get the players motivated- after all, he made Akinbadbuyi score goals!

- Decent eye for a player

Negative- Perhaps may not play 'football'. But then again, we've played half decent football this season(apart fom when de vries plays) and look where its got us?!

- Doesnt really have the experience of handling such a 'big' club

- Doesnt have the experience of a relegation battle with a club the size of ours

Any thoughts?

If Cotteril came to LCFC he could become great if he kept us up, but not so great if we go down.

Has he got the balls to take the chance?

I think that the appointment of Steve Cotteril has its plus points, but also its negative points: -

Negative- Perhaps may not play 'football'. But then again, we've played half decent football this season(apart fom when de vries plays) and look where its got us?!

- Doesnt have the experience of a relegation battle with a club the size of ours

Any thoughts?

If Cotteril came to LCFC he could become great if he kept us up, but not so great if we go down.

We aren't that bigger club, and I certainly think he'd be able to handle us!

Ade was scoring goals for Stoke before he moved to Burnley.

He was doing alright at Stoke, he certainly scored more regularly at Burnley. Maybe not quite enough to double his price tag IMO :blink::smile:. How much of his form was down to Cotterill we will never know.

Ugly football saw us promoted bet then relegated straight away, I thought the whole aim of putting Levein in charge was to see us get in the Prem and stay there. I think this would be like putting Adams in charge all over again.

I'd rather yo yo between the prem and the championship than in and out of league 1.

Any thoughts?

He won't get many scrappy 1-0 wins with these players. Just not big and powerful enough. It's footall or nothing with our squad. I've been trying to explain that all season. If the fans want the rugged approach (though there's not much logic to it with today's interpretation of the rules) then they've got to fill the team with genuinely rugged players.

We just don't have that sort of side. So it's football or nothing and if it's football it's got to be right through the team not a sort of half-way house approach.

How many truly rugged players do we have and perhaps more important, rugged players who can stay on the field when they play rough? Tiatto can't.

That leaves McCarthy. DeVries is rugged enough but slow. Stearman's a survivor with enough skill and brains to cope with anything. Joey might do, Weso, and Hume might do. O'Grady can cope.

That's two or three definite's and four maybe's.

The rest are either not good enough anyway or not in any way rugged.

I'm half anf half.

He'd certainly organise us and keep us up (in my opinion) but I don't think he'd excite and embrace the attacking football I want to see us play.

Levein was playng that at one point, that didn't get us far :P

Ugly football and 3 points is better :D

Even better would be great football and 3 points, but wouldn't that be too greedy for us.

Whether we go down or not, the question we should ask of any potential new boss is whether he could take us to the Premiership within five years and keep us there.

Nothing in Cotterill's record suggests that he could do so.

At Burnley his two main tasks are to balance the books and keep the team up. The fact that he's done both should not blind us to the fact that there are FAR better candidates out there who have done likewise at their clubs (Newell, Allen and Parkinson spring immediately to mind.

It looks once more as if our board are once again prepared to appoint someone more capable of managing a budget than a team.

I hope their hillbilly counterparts stand firm and force us to search elsewhere!

Whether we go down or not, the question we should ask of any potential new boss is whether he could take us to the Premiership within five years and keep us there.

Nothing in Cotterill's record suggests that he could do so.

At Burnley his two main tasks are to balance the books and keep the team up. The fact that he's done both should not blind us to the fact that there are FAR better candidates out there who have done likewise at their clubs (Newell, Allen and Parkinson spring immediately to mind.

It looks once more as if our board are once again prepared to appoint someone more capable of managing a budget than a team.

I hope their hillbilly counterparts stand firm and force us to search elsewhere!

Well if you look at it from that perspective, Newell and Allen have done similar jobs at their respective jobs and have nothing to suggest that they either posess the qualities.

Premiership in 5 years time anyway? Forever the optimist Ultra!

They're not tarnished by the record of failure that Cotterill has with us and Sunderland.

I think if he wants to join us he'd quit the clarets - after all he's walked out of clubs before, as Cheltenham and Stoke fans will confirm.

It's not THAT hard to guide us back to the top flight. After all, Brian Little managed it!

SkySports

urnley have rejected an approach from Leicester to speak to manager Steve Cotterill about the vacant post at The Walkers Stadium.

Under-fire boss Craig Levein was sacked last week after a series of poor results, leaving The Foxes looking for their sixth manager in as many years.

Many names have already been linked with the position, including former Sunderland boss Peter Reid and Nigel Clough, but Leicester have identified Cotterill as their number one target.

Burnley have made it clear that Cotterill is going nowhere, but will be wary that the coach, who spent six months on the staff at Leicester before taking the reins at Turf Moor in 2004, could be interested in pursuing the opportunity.

Rob Kelly has been in charge of the struggling Championship side on a caretaker basis, but the club are looking to bring in a new manager as soon as possible.

Archived