Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

Winter Olympics - Torino 2006

I must say that, as a big ice hockey fan, I'm very much looking forward to the men's hockey tournament, which starts on Wednesday. I'm not too high on the United States' chances at gold--one generation of stars is too old, and our next good generation of players is still a few years away from hitting the next level.

Canada and the Czech Republic are definitely the top two teams and I think they'll finish 1-2 in Pool A before meeting in the gold medal game. I think the Canadian players will get the hang of the larger ice surface by the time the medal round arrives and repeat as gold medal winners. Sweden, although suffering from a few injuries, will also be a dangerous team because they're solid all around and backed by perhaps the best goalie in the tournament--Henrik Lundqvist. In a short tournament, good goaltending is extremely important, and I was tempted to pick them as a finalist, but I think they'll take home the bronze instead. Russia, loaded with talent but often lacking good team chemistry in recent years, is also good enough to win but also inconsistent enough to get knocked out early. Finland is like the anti-Russia; not as flashy as any of the other big European teams but they should be a physical, cohesive unit. Slovakia is a decent side with some top-class forwards but I don't think they have enough depth to make a run. Out of the rest--Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Latvia and Kazakhstan--I've got a feeling that the Swiss will be the team that sneaks out an upset win somewhere.

It looks like our top downhill skiiers Daron Rahlves and the drunken master Bode Miller sucked today :thumbdown:

I'll watch the short-track speedskating if I'm home while it's televized--it's like roller derby on ice.

Well well, it looks like Michelle Kwan isn't going to skate this year. Not that I really care all that much about figure skating, but that means Emily Hughes, 2002 gold medalist Sarah Hughes, will take her place. I used to go to school and play hockey with one of their brothers and I remember when Emily was just a baby--now she's skating in the Olympics :o

Loved it in Lillehammer, followed it enthusiastically in Nagano, less bothered about the games in Salt Lake and didn't even notice the games this time around until I zapped past it. Says it all doesn't it?

If I see some Ice Hockey though, I'll most likely watch it. I'll be rooting for our Swedish blood brothers like I've always done..:)

Curling rocks! And its probably Team GB's best chance of a medal (men and women). Good luck to all GB curlers, or curlists, or curlernators, or what ever they're called. :)

Its not really our forte, the Winter Olympics. Unless they introduce some more traditional British winter past-times, such as Throwing The Sickie, Scraping The Car Windscreen With The Credit Card or that old favourite, Joining The Gym And Quitting By February, we will most likely be medal-less.

Seriously though, I don't normally follow ice-hockey but will try to watch a bit as its a brilliant TV spectator sport. :thumbup:

Have no interest in the Winter Olympics whatsoever. Most of the events are pointless.

Curling? What the hell is all that about? No skill involved at all.

If you want to watch some proper athletes, watch the Summer olympics.

Have no interest in the Winter Olympics whatsoever. Most of the events are pointless.

Curling? What the hell is all that about? No skill involved at all.

If you want to watch some proper athletes, watch the Summer olympics.

Bet you couldn't hit the midde of the target :P

The winter olympics tonight was shit but the Top Gear after made me laugh like a twat!

:laugh:

That had me in stitches all night!! Especially when they were trying to get the last event set up (The rocket powered Mini) :thumbup:

Extremely enjoyable and probably one of the only TV programmes which both myself and my good lady both enjoy.

It's the sort of family programme where people who don't even know anything about cars or even have an interest in cars enjoy.

Extremely enjoyable and probably one of the only TV programmes which both myself and my good lady both enjoy.

At least you've got that. Friday night was like a bloodbath chez-NW. Bits of remote control and "What's On TV" everywhere. The sooner Santa brings me 6-room Sky+ multi-room, the better.

At least you've got that. Friday night was like a bloodbath chez-NW. Bits of remote control and "What's On TV" everywhere. The sooner Santa brings me 6-room Sky+ multi-room, the better.

She loves soaps and things like Holby City/Casualty/Friends/Frasier/Will and Grace etc.

I prefer documentaries, comedies and murder mystery type things.

I've managed to make her like Family Guy, otherwise it really is restricted to Top Gear, Jonathon Creek, Midsomer Murders (who'd live there) and anything about child psycology/behaviour (she is going to be a teacher and loves that sort of thing)

Can't imagine why you'd be interested in any of this, but I've spent 2 minutes typing it now and it seems such a shame to delete it all now.

Good luck with that.

If there's one thing harder than doing a teaching degree/PGCE, its being the other-half of someone doing a teaching degree/PGCE. :(;)

Don't worry - I plan to hibernate, being woken only when I am required for sexual servicing or fixing electrical household items (usually changing batteries).

Ha! Last night, late-night TV comic Jay Leno was commenting on Bode's DQ and said, "now he's really got a reason to drink!"

I'm happy for Ted "Shred" Ligety, the Yank kid who came back with two nasty runs on the slalom to win.

Canada crushed Italy and Sweded did the same against Kazhakstan (Both 7-2 scores.) in men's hockey as expected... I've got Finland-Switzerland on now--Florida Panthers forward Oli Jokinen just put Suomi 1-0 up after his shot took a lucky bounce. Finland has doing a good job getting the puck deep in the Swiss zone and deserve the early lead.

I'm about to leave for work so I'll miss the rest of this one, as well as the USA's opener against Latvia later. I'll get to catch the whole slate of games tomorrow--Sweden-Russia should be a good one, though USA-Kazhakstan should be a laugher (Jagshemash!)

Ha! Last night, late-night TV comic Jay Leno was commenting on Bode's DQ and said, "now he's really got a reason to drink!"

I'm happy for Ted "Shred" Ligety, the Yank kid who came back with two nasty runs on the slalom to win.

Canada crushed Italy and Sweded did the same against Kazhakstan (Both 7-2 scores.) in men's hockey as expected... I've got Finland-Switzerland on now--Florida Panthers forward Oli Jokinen just put Suomi 1-0 up after his shot took a lucky bounce. Finland has doing a good job getting the puck deep in the Swiss zone and deserve the early lead.

I'm about to leave for work so I'll miss the rest of this one, as well as the USA's opener against Latvia later. I'll get to catch the whole slate of games tomorrow--Sweden-Russia should be a good one, though USA-Kazhakstan should be a laugher (Jagshemash!)

Well I'm watching GB v Sweden in the Curling - riveting! No honest it is :yesyes:

I've got a feeling that the Swiss will be the team that sneaks out an upset win somewhere.

It happened today--Switzerland 3, Czech Republic 2

What a great win for the Swiss... David Aebischer was excellent in goal for the Swiss and their penalty-killing was superb.

USA had better get the win against Kazhakstan today after yesterday's crap 3-3 tie with Latvia.

Archived