Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
reynard

What is our best midfield?

The loss of Weso has really put the balance of our midfield into question. so who would people play?

Assume Kisnorbo will now only play at the back the following players are all we have

smith wide player not great defensively and off form at the moment

sylla wide player still to prove his worth

hammill wide player not upto it according to most on this forum

hughes central midfielder high on occasional quality but imo looks a bit lightweight for a relegation scrap

williams an enigma

joey either good or awful even within the same match

maybury a full back playing right side midfield. very good v derby but can he do the same against better teams.

there doesn't seem to be any reserves coming through in these positions so imo our options are not great.

maybe

maybury

joey

hughes

smith?

is it time for a loan signing? the midfield area will be crucial to us if we are to stay up and I'm not sure we have all the options we really need.

We need a loan signing badly. I actually couldn't pick what our best midfield is at the minute.

Gudjonsson must start, as must Smith. Hughes on the right and Williams in the centre? Not sure.

I rather send Smith back to Arsenal, he's not the sort of player we need at the moment, plenty of tricks but no final product. Tuesday he beat 2 players ran into the box and then lost the ball because he wouldn't shoot!

We need a loan signing badly. I actually couldn't pick what our best midfield is at the minute.

Gudjonsson must start, as must Smith. Hughes on the right and Williams in the centre? Not sure.

Looking at Henderson I think the top priority as regards loan signings will be a keeper. I wonder if Walker would come back on loan at half wages? If not theirs always Keller..................

Maybe then we can look for a mid field player to replace Joey and stand in for Weso.

I understand that the departure of Dion and Deepfreeze has freed up some money for loan players.

Craig's payout might take some time to agree and would not jeopardise that.

I rather send Smith back to Arsenal, he's not the sort of player we need at the moment, plenty of tricks but no final product. Tuesday he beat 2 players ran into the box and then lost the ball because he wouldn't shoot!

Smith has been lacking in confidence big time because of the Levein era towards the end. He since has hardly played but I thought when he came on at Derby he showed glimpses of his old self. He might not track back all the while and get stuck in but there are ways of accomodating him in the team and they definately should do at home because he frightens defences. We aren't awash with natural wingers and sending him back would be stupid, the fact we aren't playing with a competent winger at the minute means we aren't finishing teams off. I know that sounds ridiculous considering we've won 3 of our past 4 games, but in most of those games we should have put the game to bed well before the end but the wingers haven't stretched the defence enough mainly because we've been playing a right back and a central midfielder out wide.

Looking at Henderson I think the top priority as regards loan signings will be a keeper. I wonder if Walker would come back on loan at half wages? If not theirs always Keller..................

Maybe then we can look for a mid field player to replace Joey and stand in for Weso.

I understand that the departure of Dion and Deepfreeze has freed up some money for loan players.

Henderson single handidly won us the cup game at Cardiff and was superb away at Derby earlier in the season. He might of looked shaky on tuesday but from all the games i've seen him in he's looked steady. I watch alot of the reserve games aswell and he's been remarkable in some of those aswell, at shot stopping he's second to none.

We have to give Smith a go, give him a few games and he'll be ripping teams to bits again.

Smith obviously has talent and the ability to take it past players, but recently he doesnt seem to want to shoot when he has good opportunity to and tries to pass it in low to a crowded area. Yes he has the ability to get past players, but is the end product up to scratch?

an intrigued to see what the midfield for next season will be.

williams has only a year left come the start of next season and joey will be history.

levi porter has been given a years contract so there must be something there.

weso hopefully will be back but we are definitely short in the center of the pitch.

Rubbish!

I'd rather find another 1st choice keeper and keep Hendo as no 2!

he was clearly expecting a runner to pass to there wasn't so the move lost its impetus, had hume, fryatt or hughes burst past him as he probably was expecting, we would of been singings his praises for creating something out of nothing

he was clearly expecting a runner to pass to there wasn't so the move lost its impetus, had hume, fryatt or hughes burst past him as he probably was expecting, we would of been singings his praises for creating something out of nothing

fryatt was in the box already and was making a run across the box. smith hesitated and before you could say corblimeyguvnor :P was surrounded by four derby players.

and before you could say corblimeyguvnor tongue.png was surrounded by four derby players.

Hence the actual problem. That's one thing I felt over Christmas when I was back in Leicester watching games. Other teams are starting to clock on to Smith, he finds himself closely marked often by multiple defenders with little room to move. He's still just a kid, to be fair, he'll develope experience and confidence with time and the longer he's here th emore he'll do so for us. Leicester rarely ever have glamour players - when one's dropped in our lap we should exploit it.

I've not been a fan of Maybury play right midfield but his contribution in the Derby game was about the best we've seen from that position this season. He also allows Stearman to get forward and can slip easily into a 5 man defence for specific periods of the game.

I don't think Kelly will start any game with both Sylla and Smith playing and I'm inclined to agree with that whilst we've got Fryatt and Hume up front as I'm sure they will produce the goods from intelligent passing from central midfield.

Williams for alll his talent is not a 90 minute player. Hughes will get stronger and more involved the more he plays, I doubt he's 100% match fit anyway after his injury plagued start.

Joey's a bit hit and miss at the moment but again was the main provider for the goals at Brighton.

Based on the above premise I'd go for:

Maybury, Joey, Hughes, Smith

Irrespective of who's the best, we need to get to a point where they are played for a number of games like the defence and forwards.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that when O'Grady went out on loan he played as a right winger and, to all accounts, did very well in that position. From what I've seen of him this season he seems a strong, intelligent player.

How about...

O'Grady - Joey - Hughes - Smith

...which leaves all players in a position that they feel comfortable with. It also leaves us with plenty of cover in CM and RM positions.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that when O'Grady went out on loan he played as a right winger and, to all accounts, did very well in that position. From what I've seen of him this season he seems a strong, intelligent player.

How about...

O'Grady - Joey - Hughes - Smith

...which leaves all players in a position that they feel comfortable with. It also leaves us with plenty of cover in CM and RM positions.

O' Grady will be a great player for us

Hammond - Hughes - Gudjonsson - Smith

Elvis has been pretty good down the right flank whenever he's played there, but with the amount of strikers we have it limits his use down the flank - I'd like to see him down there more next season. Hughes and Joey are the two in the middle - Williams just doesn't give in as many consistant performances. Smith is the only real choice for the left side so he's there. I wouldn't put Sylla or Tiatto anywhere near the bench - well unless Momo really gets his arse moving for the first time this season and gives it what he could. Maybury has been good down the right but I still would prefer Elvis.

I reckon-

Maybs

Hughes

Joey

Smudger

Not sure about Maybury though tbh. Can have his day in that position like Derby (even though i didnt think he was that good anyway!)

Hughes has to play, same with Joey. These are class midfielders, but they both like to go bombing forward. I hate to say it, but Joey played his best when Kisnorbo was in midfield, as it gave him the license to get forward. So these two might 'clash'. To me, they did against Derby.

We have to play Smith. It was only a few months ago that everyone on here was hailing him as the next George Best, and in a few years he would fill the England left wing position. Where are you lot now?

He does add an extra dimension. Sylla is crap, so Smith is our only natural winger really.

I reckon-

Maybs

Hughes

Joey

Smudger

Not sure about Maybury though tbh. Can have his day in that position like Derby (even though i didnt think he was that good anyway!)

Hughes has to play, same with Joey. These are class midfielders, but they both like to go bombing forward. I hate to say it, but Joey played his best when Kisnorbo was in midfield, as it gave him the license to get forward. So these two might 'clash'. To me, they did against Derby.

We have to play Smith. It was only a few months ago that everyone on here was hailing him as the next George Best, and in a few years he would fill the England left wing position. Where are you lot now?

He does add an extra dimension. Sylla is crap, so Smith is our only natural winger really.

Maybury may grow into the role. I'd drop Joey in favour of Williams though, since he normally sits a bit deeper than Hughes. Of course, if Weso wasn't broken, he'd naturally take that place.

i fink we should play, HUGHES GUDJONSSON SMITH TIATTO

because we have both good experience with hughes and tiattio, with the skills and pace of joey and smith, but as has been said, joey can play awful sometymes and smith is not rly on form atm, but maybe if he gets more starts he will have a chance to get back on form, cuz its hard 2 get on form when your not hardly playing and some games you just stay on the bench all game

FOXES 2 FINISH ABOVE THE SKY BLUE SCUM!!!!!! cmon leicester

Archived