Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Filbert Street, before your time -

Circa 1971

• Before the North Stand had the 'boxes' added.
  • Before the Carling Stand, note the standing area in front of the West Stand & the TV gantry.
  • Note the flood lights
  • Note the 'revolutionary tent'

filbo_1971.jpg

Training Under the tent

filbo__tent_1971.jpg

when I first started going to Leicester we used to stand in the West stand terracing closest to the Kop looking over in amaezment at the kop and I couldn't wait until my dad thought I was old enough to stand in there!!!

I remember the tent. Cutting edge it was back then.

Fookin' miserable when you were a nipper standing on the old popular terrace. Unless you get down the front about an hour before kick off you spent the match examining the back of someone's overcoat.

And then you had to put up with the taunt of 'shit ground no fans.' At least now that's song ironically...well, most of the time.

Fookin' miserable when you were a nipper standing on the old popular terrace. Unless you get down the front about an hour before kick off you spent the match examining the back of someone's overcoat.

And then you had to put up with the taunt of 'shit ground no fans.' At least now that's song ironically...well, most of the time.

You had to make sure you didn't need a piss else you were f#*ked in those days trying to fight your way to the front again.

Ahhhh memories.........

speaking of davieG just picked up a WBA Vs Leicester FA Cup semi final 1969 programme including ticket stubs for the nominal price of £2.00 from the red cross charity shop in Grantham!! with number 8 being the original DavieG himself!!!!

speaking of davieG just picked up a WBA Vs Leicester FA Cup semi final 1969 programme including ticket stubs for the nominal price of £2.00 from the red cross charity shop in Grantham!! with number 8 being the original DavieG himself!!!!

No! No! No! Don't mention that game! I was at the grimmest boarding school in the world oop north. Colditz had more comforts. We were allowed to stay up on the night of that game to watch the Eurovision song contest (Lu Lu finished joint top with three others with 'Boom Boom Bang A Bang Bang'). I remember leaving the TV room really pissed of that I couldn't watch our triumph on MoTD.

A few weeks later the parents came up and had a chat with the headmaster. After the serious shit about my multiple failures in everything from maths to latin a spot of light relief: 'I see that Leicester City have reached the FA Cup Final. I scoured the school looking for your son when they won the semi final to let him stay up to watch it on TV but I couldn't find him anywhere...'

To this day, 37 years on, I still haven't got over the disappointment.

WBA semi. Was at that match. When Clarkie scored 'twas madness. Sheer brilliance. We had the Leppings Lane End and I was right down at the front. That was in the days before fences. I thought about that game a lot when the Liverpool tragdy happened.

Now that has really brought a tear to my eye.Fantastic memories....

absolutely priceless - cheers!!!too many good memories to recall them all. I started going when we played Atalanta in the Anglo-Italian cup and you could actually walk around from the Kop to the Filbert St end. We whooped them 6-0

why is that woman in the tent with her handbag??

Robkellysblue and white army :whistle:

A good few of us used to get passed horizontally over the fans heads to the front where we literally sat around the outside of the shale track which ran around the pitch. Health and Satety would have gone ballistic - how did we ever survive as clearances were being belted into our ranks and players were being tackled so hard they landed in the main crowd, and sometimes with a bit of help from the kids around the outside if they were visitors. The big moments were when the ball came to you and could kick it back - what a feeling at eight years old!

A good few of us used to get passed horizontally over the fans heads to the front where we literally sat around the outside of the shale track which ran around the pitch. Health and Satety would have gone ballistic - how did we ever survive as clearances were being belted into our ranks and players were being tackled so hard they landed in the main crowd, and sometimes with a bit of help from the kids around the outside if they were visitors. The big moments were when the ball came to you and could kick it back - what a feeling at eight years old!

although I have to admit to feeling pathetically elated when I caught a skied clearance in a home match against Wolves a couple of years. I was 37 at the time. My 7 year old son nearly died of embarrassment at how pleased I was with myself

Archived