Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Kelly eyes Tiatto stay

Please no. :cry::blink::ermm::angry::( <_<

Source

Kelly eyes Tiatto stay

Monday Apr 24 2006 14:20

Leicester City boss Rob Kelly is keen to retain the services of veteran skipper Danny Tiatto beyond the end of this season.

The former Australia international has been struck down by various injury problems this season, but Kelly recognises that his vast experience is of major use to the younger squad members at the Walkers Stadium and wants him to extend his stay when his current deal expires.

Kelly said: "I would want him to stay if possible because we are losing Joey Gudjonsson for certain and, if you look around the squad, there are a lot of young players who will need help from some older heads.

"I've had a couple of meetings with the board and there will be more this week. Nothing has been set in stone and I just want to see where we can go."

I've prepared myself for this ever since he walked back in to the side against Leeds and against Coventry. I just hope he's going to be offered a massive pay-cut and he either rejects it or accepts it and then really knuckles down next season and makes a valid contribution to the team. Not happy, but every manager makes a ridiculous contract renewal each season. Considering he's going to have to sell to buy and he wants to keep Tiatto that would mean that he will be looking to get rid of the fringe players like Douglas, Sylla and Elvis.

If he brings Brevett in, i'll throw an internet brick at him.

I've prepared myself for this ever since he walked back in to the side against Leeds and against Coventry. I just hope he's going to be offered a massive pay-cut and he either rejects it or accepts it and then really knuckles down next season and makes a valid contribution to the team. Not happy, but every manager makes a ridiculous contract renewal each season. Considering he's going to have to sell to buy and he wants to keep Tiatto that would mean that he will be looking to get rid of the fringe players like Douglas, Sylla and Elvis.

If he brings Brevett in, i'll throw an internet brick at him.

More worrying is the Mercury's "Kelly want's Tiatto to stay" article!! (Can't link it as my work PC won't let me right click??? :huh: )

In it is a quote saying how he's worried that Wesolowski is good, because he wants experience, and if it were up to him Stearman would never had played 30 odd matches!! Or words to that effect.... Oh dear... Micky's over 30 club here we go!!!! :cry:

Though Tiatto has been useless this season it is true that he has been injured for the majority. He provides experience, wont cost us anything, and will probably have to take a massive pay cut anyway. it would be difficult to find another player with those attributes and on a free.

Selling the fringe players. We will lose money on Elvis, we'd be lucky to get £50-75,000 for him, maybe a League 1 side will come in for him.

Sylla we might get £250,000 if Hearts are still interested.

Can't see Douglas commanding much of a fee so we might be stuck with him.

I'd let Gerrbrand go though he's looked promising in certain aspects I don't think he has the right strengths for the Championship. I think we'd get more for him than the players above.

KELLY: I'LL DO WHAT I CAN TO KEEP SKIPPER

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

Be the first reader to comment on this story

Leicester City boss Robert Kelly is hoping to find a way to keep club skipper Danny Tiatto next season.

The Australia international is out of contract but would give the squad much-needed experience if he stayed.

Kelly said: "I would want him to stay if possible because we are losing Joey Gudjonsson for certain and, if you look around the squad, there are a lot of young players who will need help from some older heads.

"I have had a couple of meetings with the board and there will be more this week. Nothing has been set in stone and I just want to see where we can go.

"Joey will be hard to replace and I know money is going to be very tight, so it is a problem."

Teenager James Wesolowski looked a good prospect in the central midfield role this season and has been unlucky with injury, but he can hardly be asked to step up to being a regular.

In fact, Wesolowski's emergence is a sign of the problem. Kelly added: "We are going to need experience. If you had told me Richard Stearman would play 30-plus games this season, I wouldn't have believed it, but he has had to."

The other young players on the fringes, like Alan Sheehan and Chris O'Grady, were not scheduled to be considered full-scale squad members but circumstances have dictated that they have had to step up.

Kelly believes this would not be the right recipe for making progress next season and is determined to work towards a solution which he can work with and the club can afford.

He is also formulating plans for his own staff. Kelly's right-hand-man in the City revival, Mike Stowell, will definitely be part of the set-up, but he also needs at least two coaches to help with the workload which has been shared between Kelly, Stowell and Ray Graydon.

The main task of survival has been achieved, but the hard work appears to be only just beginning.

That is a very disturbing article from Kelly. I'm sorry but the reason why Stearman has played over 30 games is because he's been brilliant this season and kept his place on merit like all players should do if they play well. Forget how old they are, articles like this won't help the youngsters at all. I imagine he's been mis-quoted here because I didn't think Stearman would play over 30 games this season but that was only because I didn't think Levein would allow him the opportunity to do so not because of whether he was good enough or old enough because quite frankly he's shown how good he is and Wesolowski has done aswell.

Though Tiatto has been useless this season it is true that he has been injured for the majority. He provides experience, wont cost us anything, and will probably have to take a massive pay cut anyway. it would be difficult to find another player with those attributes and on a free.

Selling the fringe players. We will lose money on Elvis, we'd be lucky to get £50-75,000 for him, maybe a League 1 side will come in for him.

Sylla we might get £250,000 if Hearts are still interested.

Can't see Douglas commanding much of a fee so we might be stuck with him.

I'd let Gerrbrand go though he's looked promising in certain aspects I don't think he has the right strengths for the Championship. I think we'd get more for him than the players above.

I think would like to keep Tiatto, but the IF is dependant on what Tiatto wants in terms of salary. If this season is something to go by on then it would be a waste of money but potentially he could be a midfield driving force which city needs!!!

Elvis will sit in the reserves, and i can't see many faces leaving

More worrying is the Mercury's "Kelly want's Tiatto to stay" article!! (Can't link it as my work PC won't let me right click??? :huh: )

In it is a quote saying how he's worried that Wesolowski is good, because he wants experience, and if it were up to him Stearman would never had played 30 odd matches!! Or words to that effect.... Oh dear... Micky's over 30 club here we go!!!! :cry:

I've put in on here, it is worrying but Kelly is a reasonable man and if someone plays well then they'll keep their place. What will be hard is for the other youngsters to break through, luckily Stearman and Wesolowski are well established and if they didn't play then there would be an uproar.

I can see us signing 2 or 3 experienced players this summer which isn't such a problem as we do lack abit of it the only thing that concerns me is if Kelly forgets whether they are any good or not like Adams did.

I would interpret Kelly's reference to Stearman as meaning partly that in an ideal world he could have rested him towards the end of the season and partly that he didn't expect him to play so well and demand re-selection.

Well I hope that's what he meant. The bit about Wesolowski being the problem is shocking though, why's it a problem that we have a player that has broken through that has cost us nothing and could potentially be the best midfielder we've had since the O'Neill days? He's right it's a ****in nightmare, what a dilemma Kelly must have.

Well I hope that's what he meant. The bit about Wesolowski being the problem is shocking though, why's it a problem that we have a player that has broken through that has cost us nothing and could potentially be the best midfielder we've had since the O'Neill days? He's right it's a ****in nightmare, what a dilemma Kelly must have.

Again maybe I'm being optimistic but I kind of agree with Kelly again, in the right context. Managers tend to want to introduce players gradually whereas Wesolowski came in as soon as he recovered from a serious injury and was playing full games, mainly because we didn't have anyone else who was as good as he was. In that sense, the midfield is a problem (especially when Joey's gone), although the Merc's hazy reporting has clouded the issue a bit. The fans would love to see Weso play a whole season but as I say, managers tend to like to introduce players more gradually. If that makes sense?

Again maybe I'm being optimistic but I kind of agree with Kelly again, in the right context. Managers tend to want to introduce players gradually whereas Wesolowski came in as soon as he recovered from a serious injury and was playing full games, mainly because we didn't have anyone else who was as good as he was. In that sense, the midfield is a problem (especially when Joey's gone), although the Merc's hazy reporting has clouded the issue a bit. The fans would love to see Weso play a whole season but as I say, managers tend to like to introduce players more gradually. If that makes sense?

I do know what your saying but it would have been better if Kelly had said that although he has been surprised at how many games certain players have played it isn't just down to the fact that they've had to but also because they've earnt the right to do so. He bangs on about players have to earn the right to wear the shirt then an article like this gets published. I think he's been stitched up abit here as he won't have meant what's been said, but even so it hardly inspires fans when you read something like this.

I do know what your saying but it would have been better if Kelly had said that although he has been surprised at how many games certain players have played it isn't just down to the fact that they've had to but also because they've earnt the right to do so. He bangs on about players have to earn the right to wear the shirt then an article like this gets published. I think he's been stitched up abit here as he won't have meant what's been said, but even so it hardly inspires fans when you read something like this.

Time will tell, I take it with a pinch of salt, i'm not impressed with what he has said but he's not giving false hopes etc, I find it hard to believe he would be so open about some issue ie weso!!!

Time will tell, I take it with a pinch of salt, i'm not impressed with what he has said but he's not giving false hopes etc, I find it hard to believe he would be so open about some issue ie weso!!!

He hasn't actually mentioned Weso that was whoever wrote the article and that's why it sounds like Kelly has been stitched up with it. Kelly has gone on record to say that the team lacks a little bit of experience and then whoever wrote the article has said that Wesolowski is part of the problem because with the lack of experience he has broken through and he either means he was rushed back and that has resulted in injuring him again or the fact that because we've got so many good youngsters it's hard to fit any experienced heads in there.

Either way it's bollocks and I doubt Kelly is another Adams Mark II, I hope not anyway.

He hasn't actually mentioned Weso that was whoever wrote the article and that's why it sounds like Kelly has been stitched up with it. Kelly has gone on record to say that the team lacks a little bit of experience and then whoever wrote the article has said that Wesolowski is part of the problem because with the lack of experience he has broken through and he either means he was rushed back and that has resulted in injuring him again or the fact that because we've got so many good youngsters it's hard to fit any experienced heads in there.

Either way it's bollocks and I doubt Kelly is another Adams Mark II, I hope not anyway.

i just read it too. kelly does not even mention Wesolowski, so what is everyones confusion?

Archived