Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Suffolk_fox

Big Phil being offered the England job!

The FA have offered the England Manager's job to Big Phil Scolari, manager of the winning Brazillian team in 2002, currently managing Portugal.

I think he will be a great national coach for us, but I would have preferred Big Sam or MoN though...

Would have preferred MON, but am still happy at this choice. He has international experience with both Brazil and Portugal and I think that is very important. I dont think we have ever signed a new manager who already has international experience?

And all this "must be English" nonsense - none of them are good enough/experienced enough. McClaren, Curbishley, Allardyce, Pearce - I wouldn't want any of those.

The FA have offered the England Manager's job to Big Phil Scolari, manager of the winning Brazillian team in 2002, currently managing Portugal.

I think he will be a great national coach for us, but I would have preferred Big Sam or MoN though...

They are pretty much my feelings too. If the FA are going on experience and track record, they've got their man. I can't help thinking now that Phil will take us through to 2010 before handing over the reins to Steve McClaren.

Scolari is a notoriously awkward character, so he must have given one hell of a convincing interview to go alongside his CV. O'Neill fell away because he basically wasn't interested in the England set-up as a whole, and said a load of stuff (probably far too uncomfortable and truthful) that the FA didn't want to hear - he just wanted to manage the senior squad. And quite right too.

I can't exactly see Scolari being arsed about attending coaching seminars or running the rule over the U-16s either, so the FA are brave to appoint him in the face of public and professional opinion, their own original selection criteria and the fact that they've invested hundreds of millions of pounds into improving the standard of English coaches - Scolari's appointment is a bit contradictory in that respect.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter where you're from as long as you do the job well. Good luck to him - after the World Cup, that is.

i suppose he is the most qualified candidate but can the guy even speak english ?

i would prefered an englishmen, people say nobody experienced enough around but van basten and klinnsmann , how much did they have ? none

i suppose he is the most qualified candidate but can the guy even speak english ?

i would prefered an englishmen, people say nobody experienced enough around but van basten and klinnsmann , how much did they have ? none

Exactly, cop out IMO. :angry:

I like the sound of Big Phil to be honest he can speak Engligh which is certainly better than my portugese!!!

but the best thing I like about him is that he doesn't pick players on reputation alone!! he is not scared to take off a star player who is having a sh it game (Beckham take note!!!) unlike SGE he does whats best for the team!!

I like the sound of Big Phil to be honest he can speak Engligh which is certainly better than my portugese!!!

but the best thing I like about him is that he doesn't pick players on reputation alone!! he is not scared to take off a star player who is having a sh it game (Beckham take note!!!) unlike SGE he does whats best for the team!!

Again agreed Jaylington! :thumbup:

Good posting Jaymeister Junior.

You'd prefer either Sam Alledyce, Alan Curbishley or Steve McLaren then? Them and their teams style of play doesn't fill me with any confidence at all. Also, England isn't the right job for Martin O'Neill. Imagine all the press after him all the while, that's not for him.

I'd be happy with Scolari if it turns out to be him.

Even though I'd prefer an Englishman, Scolari is definately a better choice than McClaren.

McClaren- A few months ago was pilloried for getting his team demolished by Arsenal 7-0, but he was a managerial God when he got Boro to two semis- ridiculous!

Allardyce- Boring, unattractive football. Seems to beat some big teams, but loses important matches i.e.

UEFA Cup against Marseille.

MON- The best choice out of these. Probably the most international experience, but that shows how little really the first two have. The best motivator, but what do these players need motivating for? Not ready.

Big Phil- The best choice by a country mile. Although his English is not great, you dont think the F.A approached him about 4 months before he will actually take over for nothing did you? By far the most experience. Has won a World Cup and got to a Euro Final. Not afraid to make big decisions i.e. taking off Portugals best player against us in 2004 (Figo).

I thinl that pretty much settles it really. Rant over!

I give it a month before he leaves in disgrace. This is the man who is on record in his support for General Pinochet and who said that he wouldn't pick homosexuals in his football team. He won't get away with voicing opinions like that with the English press.

Having said that, he has an extremely impressive track record and certainly better than any of the English dross.

A couple more interesting stories about 'Big Phil':

He has pucnhed a journalist in the face!!

He once punished his league side for not fouling enough during a match! :o

Archived