Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

A Squad of 16 Experienced Players

A journalist mate of mine was at a County FA meeting over the weekend - and Rob Kelly turned up ! At the end of the meeting a couple of the members asked RK a few questions - nothing too 'controversial' - but he did manage to ask one more important question, which got an interesting reply. When RK was asked about what he considered his 'ideal size of squad' for the coming season, he replied, "about 22 players who have had FIRST TEAM INVOLVEMENT, but definitely 16 players with SIGNIFICANT LEAGUE EXPERIENCE". A follow-up question clarified this - he is looking for a main squad of 16, supported by 5/6 Youth Team players - the reason - NO RESERVE TEAM THIS YEAR (HE didn't want to drop the Reserves, but was TOLD by the Board/Tim Davies !) and only 16 'older' players could get regular football (the youngsters could get Academy games). Work it out for yourselves, who are/could be the 16 experienced people !

A journalist mate of mine was at a County FA meeting over the weekend - and Rob Kelly turned up ! At the end of the meeting a couple of the members asked RK a few questions - nothing too 'controversial' - but he did manage to ask one more important question, which got an interesting reply. When RK was asked about what he considered his 'ideal size of squad' for the coming season, he replied, "about 22 players who have had FIRST TEAM INVOLVEMENT, but definitely 16 players with SIGNIFICANT LEAGUE EXPERIENCE". A follow-up question clarified this - he is looking for a main squad of 16, supported by 5/6 Youth Team players - the reason - NO RESERVE TEAM THIS YEAR (he was told by the Board/Tim Davies - he didn't want that !) and only 16 'older' players could get regular football (the youngsters could get Academy games). Work it out for yourselves, who are/could be the 16 experienced people !

Can you work it out for me please?

A journalist mate of mine was at a County FA meeting over the weekend - and Rob Kelly turned up ! At the end of the meeting a couple of the members asked RK a few questions - nothing too 'controversial' - but he did manage to ask one more important question, which got an interesting reply. When RK was asked about what he considered his 'ideal size of squad' for the coming season, he replied, "about 22 players who have had FIRST TEAM INVOLVEMENT, but definitely 16 players with SIGNIFICANT LEAGUE EXPERIENCE". A follow-up question clarified this - he is looking for a main squad of 16, supported by 5/6 Youth Team players - the reason - NO RESERVE TEAM THIS YEAR (he was told by the Board/Tim Davies - he didn't want that !) and only 16 'older' players could get regular football (the youngsters could get Academy games). Work it out for yourselves, who are/could be the 16 experienced people !

SIGNIFICANT LEAGUE EXPERIENCE is more than ambiguous it's as wide open as the Grand Canyon.

significant = 10, 50, 100, 150 games

league = championship, leagues 1 & 2, conference, SPL etc

I'm struggling to understand what you have put here? The board told him he wasn't allowed any reserve games or he told the board he didn't want to arrange reserve games?

And he's said he only wants a squad of 16 first team players and the rest will be from the academy? Good grief.

I'm struggling to understand what you have put here? The board told him he wasn't allowed any reserve games or he told the board he didn't want to arrange reserve games?

And he's said he only wants a squad of 16 first team players and the rest will be from the academy? Good grief.

What I THINK RK was saying (this is 'second hand' knowledge !), was because the Board told him there would be no Reserve Team this year, he has drawn up a 'strategy' in which he will have 16 experienced players (give everyone a game - as Sub if nothing else - and have a Wage Policy with only 16 'Senior' players !) - and rely on the Youth/Academy players to fill the 'gaps' - injuries/suspensions etc. For example, the 'Dons' list of 16 - minus O'Grady & Wesolowski (not 'Senior' players, but in the 'add-on' Youth list) - sounds to me, like the sort of thing RK's aiming for.

Depends on your interpretation really, if you don't count Stearman, Weso, Fryatt or O'Grady as experienced, then we have 20 decent Pro's, which is about what we have now. If he is counting them as experienced, then i echo, GOOD GRIEF :o

No Kisnorbo, do you know somthing we don't? :o

Probably, but not not about kisnorbo.

Just that if what RK said above is true, and if we are still after McCauley, then it sort of makes sense that we have too many defenders. As Kis has had a lot of interest, and some decent money has been mentioned, it would seem sensible to get rid of him??

Probably, but not not about kisnorbo.

Just that if what RK said above is true, and if we are still after McCauley, then it sort of makes sense that we have too many defenders. As Kis has had a lot of interest, and some decent money has been mentioned, it would seem sensible to get rid of him??

Agreed, but wiping him off your list and adding McCauley is a bit presumptuous and you should be reprimanded for it. :P

What I THINK RK was saying (this is 'second hand' knowledge !), was because the Board told him there would be no Reserve Team this year, he has drawn up a 'strategy' in which he will have 16 experienced players (give everyone a game - as Sub if nothing else - and have a Wage Policy with only 16 'Senior' players !) - and rely on the Youth/Academy players to fill the 'gaps' - injuries/suspensions etc. For example, the 'Dons' list of 16 - minus O'Grady & Wesolowski (not 'Senior' players, but in the 'add-on' Youth list) - sounds to me, like the sort of thing RK's aiming for.

Interesting, but it has been said that the club would try to arrange friendlies for the reserves. I think we'll see 3 new players arriving possibly 4 and I think de Vries or Elvis and one other will depart. What does that leave us with?

I don't see how this fits in with the "Young and Hungrey" Strategy.

:D Don't tell Thracian. Only joking Thrac.

I think Kelly means he wants 16 first team players and the rest will be made up of youngsters from the academy or lower leagues? Just because he said the 16 would be experienced he probably doesn't mean they all must have played 300+ games. We have a very young side and unless he's going to dismantle it by signing x amount of oldies that's not going to be an issue hence his statements about trying to keep a settled side and not buying and selling frantically like in previous seasons.

Plus out of the players we've been linked with: Two have been under 22 (Harding and Green) and McAuley and Lunt are both 25/26, a decent age.

I don't see how this fits in with the "Young and Hungrey" Strategy.

It fits in well. '16 Senior players' doesn't mean 16 OLD players - eg Harding from Leeds with (I don't know exactly) 50 or so league appearances and 22 years old; Stearman with similar, etc etc, would be in the list. And with only 16 Experienced players, the Youth Team players like Sheehan, Porter, Chambers, Logan would be given many more chances.

It fits in well. '16 Senior players' doesn't mean 16 OLD players - eg Harding from Leeds with (I don't know exactly) 50 or so league appearances and 22 years old; Stearman with similar, etc etc, would be in the list. And with only 16 Experienced players, the Youth Team players like Sheehan, Porter, Chambers, Logan would be given many more chances.

I was takeing the Micheal any way.

This all depends on what you mean by significant. By my definition of a significantly experinced player, I wouldn't class Stearman, weso, Harding, Elvis even Mcarthy as being such.

I was takeing the Micheal any way.

This all depends on what you mean by significant. By my definition of a significantly experinced player, I wouldn't class Stearman, weso, Harding, Elvis even Mcarthy as being such.

Sorry Manwell, I didn't understand your sense of humour !

I would have thought 'experienced' is anyone who has had a season or more's league experience. So perhaps Elvis doesn't qualify (or ever will ?!), same with Weso - but Stearman, Harding and McCarthy would.

At the moment, the 16 players could be:

Douglas

Henderson

Johansson

McCarthy

Kisnorbo

Gerrbrand

Stearman

Maybury

Williams

Sylla

Hughes

Tiatto

Fryatt

Hume

Hammond

O'Grady

De Vries

Tiatto possibly signing a new contract and de Vries possibly moving on.

Then you've got players like Hamill, Sheehan, O'Grady, Logan, Wesolowski and Porter.

That would be a 22 man squad

At the moment, the 16 players could be:

Douglas

Henderson

Johansson

McCarthy

Kisnorbo

Gerrbrand

Stearman

Maybury

Williams

Sylla

Hughes

Tiatto

Fryatt

Hume

Hammond

O'Grady

De Vries

Tiatto possibly signing a new contract and de Vries possibly moving on.

Then you've got players like Hamill, Sheehan, O'Grady, Logan, Wesolowski and Porter.

That would be a 22 man squad

But we will also be signing a new centre half or left back or both and a new winger and central midfielder. I still think we'll have a squad of 18-20 first team players then a bunch of academy players with squad numbers (Dodds, Porter, Logan, Sheehan, Chambers and Gradel)

But we will also be signing a new centre half or left back or both and a new winger and central midfielder. I still think we'll have a squad of 18-20 first team players then a bunch of academy players with squad numbers (Dodds, Porter, Logan, Sheehan, Chambers and Gradel)

Well I think it's still possible that Sylla may go. We got a few offers for him when he got back from the African Cup of Nations but he decided to stay with us. After hardly featuring since he may move if an offer comes in again. Maybe a Scotish club or a small French club? I also think another few months of being left on the sidelines will make Joe Hamill consider going back to Scotland if an offer comes in. I think there's still a few players that could move out at some stage to make way for others.

looks frighteningly too small, 5+ injuries and we got problems. This scrapping the reserve team will hunt us and bite us in the ass.

In all fairness, any team in our division is struck by 5 injuries and they'll have problems.

I don't think 22 is too small. If we are careful about the fitness of the core players, we wont have too much trouble. I imagine the coaching staff will keep in mind the importance of keeping a small squad fit - and you'd think they'd legislate for serious injury lists by keeping some funds available for short term loans as cover.

NO RESERVE TEAM THIS YEAR (HE didn't want to drop the Reserves, but was TOLD by the Board/Tim Davies !)
It's got bugger all to do with our board, the Premier League has excluded all clubs not in the top flight (which is old news now), so stop trying to sensationalise and/or scaremonger.

It's got bugger all to do with our board, the Premier League has excluded all clubs not in the top flight (which is old news now), so stop trying to sensationalise and/or scaremonger.

Great word.

Perhaps the board have since told Kelly to forget about the possibility of arranging friendlies for the reserves though? I doubt that's the case either and I doubt we'll only have 16 recognised first team players.

Great word.

Perhaps the board have since told Kelly to forget about the possibility of arranging friendlies for the reserves though? I doubt that's the case either and I doubt we'll only have 16 recognised first team players.

Not so much the board but other clubs perhaps?

It wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to go beyond friendlies to forming your own league, but perhaps other clubs aren't interested? Maybe the costs would escalate? Who knows?

Or maybe it's a steaming pile of cow poo?

Archived