Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jack_LCFC

Paddy M -overrated

Everyone seems to love McCarthy, but I don't even think he's worth a first team place anymore because:

He's not physically strong enough

Not dominant in the air

Too slow

He was battered off the ball with a shoulder barge in the first half by the Burnley striker.

We're still rubbish on set pieces and maybe a airially dominant centre back (e.g McAuly) would be better

Does anyone else agree?

Everyone seems to love McCarthy, but I don't even think he's worth a first team place anymore because:

Not dominant in the air

Too slow

He was battered off the ball with a shoulder barge in the first half by the Burnley striker.

We're still rubbish on set pieces and maybe a airially dominant centre back (e.g McAuly) would be better

Does anyone else agree?

Yes.

He is over-rated but that's not to say he doesn't deserve a place in the starting line-up.

McAuley is a fine replacement but he has it all to prove at this level.

Remember Paddy is only 23 and will have learn't a lot last season giving him the captaincy will tell you one thing McAuley wasn't brought in as a replacement (unless we sell him)

Give him time and I'm sure he'll improve

Not dominant in the air

Too slow

Does anyone else agree?

I doubt he'd get in the top 20 of City centre-backs - not competing against the likes of Ian King, Tony Knapp, Matt Elliott, Steve Walsh etc, but he's probably the least of our problems and I don't think we've got any saviours in that department waiting in the wings.

I doubt he'd get in the top 20 of City centre-backs - not competing against the likes of Ian King, Tony Knapp, Matt Elliott, Steve Walsh etc, but he's probably the least of our problems and I don't think we've got any saviours in that department waiting in the wings.

I agree, I think it's pointless pointing fingers at players when the whole teams performance and it's individuals are poor and the fact that they have been hindered by poor tactics and selections!!!

As others have said, I think the whole team look slow, lacklustre and unfit. Compare players now to how they were performing last season.

Good players like McCarthy, Hume, Fryatt, Stearman. Players with a bit of pace are now consistently second to every ball. Players who were consistently holding off players and holding the ball up are now being barged off the ball. Players who were winning things in the air are not doing so anymore.

I think there is a general fitness level problem.

To succeed in this division you need a dominant CB and a dominant forward. This is something we dont possess. Maybe moving Hume out wide and playing O'Grady up front with Fryatt would give us more options in attack and I think playing McAuley at CB is a good option due to his size and should hopefully prevent goals from set pieces being scored. Maybe moving Kisnorbo to left back would accomodate McAuley into the team

Over rated by whom, every fan has a different opinion of players and rate them accordingly. So to the individual they can't be over rated.

If you think it's the club over rating them, I haven't heard anyone from the club rate one player over another or indeed against players of other teams.

This can only be based on the fact that he has been made captain, by implication making him the best captain. not the best player and not even the best CB. For all we know RK might think Kiso is the best centre back.

Essentially it's all subjective and down to the individual.

My opinion on McCarthy changes frequently. I think what he lacks in talent he makes up for in passion, I think as he gets older he'll get better. He's not premiership class and probably won't ever be but at this level he should become solid and reliable.

I hope Stearman can fulfill his potential, I know it's only 2 games but he's looked well off key so far and I hope he isn't levelling out. Youngsters do do this though, we've had a great season out of him for nothing. I just hope we get plenty more aswell because he has the ability to be a very good player. But if his form doesn't improve he should be dropped.

I think a lot of it is psychological with Stearman.

Previously, he was battling against Maybury to establish himself. Most thought that one or other would be dropped.

But Kelly did the unexpected and accommodated both to the point where neither has really been battling for a place. The two shake hands in a bonding ritual and operate as a pair.

Result for Stearman is he's got complacent. He's achieved the first ambition of any Academy footballer by becoming a first team regular.

What Kelly should be doing is pointing to Chris O'Grady as an example and making sure that Stearman has one thought on his mind from Monday morning until Saturday's kick off and that is to become a better and more consistent player because he's proved nothing as yet.

And if Maybury stays, the sooner he becomes simply the rival to Stearman for his right back place, the sooner you guarantee that Stearman fully focuses on his work once more.

It took me a while to warm to McCarthy, originally I thought he was too hot-headed, got out of position too much, was too slow and was a yellow/red card waiting to happen.

I still have a couple of reservations about him but on the whole I think he's grown into one of the better players at the club over the last season, and definitely a player worthy of the captain's armband.

Every time the opposition get towards our penalty area or score a goal you see Paddy McCarhey diving in too late to do anything.

Why is he diving in? Because he is too slow in getting there in the first place.

How on earth he was made captain is beyond me, he is about as inspirational as wet kitchen towel.

Every time the opposition get towards our penalty area or score a goal you see Paddy McCarhey diving in too late to do anything.

Why is he diving in? Because he is too slow in getting there in the first place.

How on earth he was made captain is beyond me, he is about as inspirational as wet kitchen towel.

:D

May I ask what analogy you'd give to Tiatto's inspirational capabilities?

Adams i think :blink:

...I'd have expected him to know better, then again up until Adams left i can imagine Tiatto actually looked promising, but you'd have thought after Muzzy there would have been a better sodding choice than Tiatto :rolleyes:

...I'd have expected him to know better, then again up until Adams left i can imagine Tiatto actually looked promising, but you'd have thought after Muzzy there would have been a better sodding choice than Tiatto :rolleyes:

Thats bollocks any way it was Levein who made him club captain. Adams made Dion club captin.

Archived