Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

So who's next?

I'm undecided about the Rob Kelly situation myself.

But let lighten the mood on the forum and have a chuckle at some of the managers people suggest they want at the club, because i'm struggling to think myself, even if I could think of any managers that are decent and not currently with a club I then have to ask the question why on earth would they want to come to LCFC when yeah after year its like Groundhog day when we yet again sack ANOTHER manager....

Let see you ideas then :rolleyes:

For the meantime Kelly should defenatly stay, we don't want to do anything rash like Leeds/ WBA. I blame the board for this mess not RK. they havn't given us a chance to compete at all with other teams in this league for bringing in new faces.

we dont want to sack kelly for the sake of sacking someone. I think we still need him at the club, doing what he was before. Just little things like being out with the players warming up etc. He seems to have a good communication level with them. I just dont think hes the best manager, tactical decisions and such.

But as i said, who else can come in... Time for lennon and walshie perhaps? That would certainly get the fans back in the ground

Which he is clearly much better at doing.

Really?!

I mean i hear it a lot that he's a good coach, just a poor manager... but, and forgive me if I'm missing somthing here, but wasnt he the same coach who led us through that great Lavign ear :rolleyes::blink:

I'd say get rid... but who the hell else is there?!

Lennon, perhaps a manic depressive is just what we need... then again i may be being harsh, on balance i could see him making a good manager and he'd certianly get more fans into the ground (at least to start with).

But the fact is that before we get rid of the manger, which on balance we probably should do with RK we're going to have to give the Board the push... but we need a viable alternative...

...so, who's up for photocopying a load of A3 "Board Out" Placards for the next home game? :P:ph34r:

The exact same as last season will happen. RK will eventually get sacked in Jan '07 with first-team coach Ian Miller taking charge. He will keep us up, get the job, and have the same start to this next time around. The cycle will then continue. We are stuck in a hole that only money or inspiration will get us out.

Eventually in this cycle we will get relegated.

Eventually in this cycle we will get relegated.

Quite possible. I'd still say leave RK in for a little while longer, but if and when (cos I fear it's only a matter of time now) RK is relieved of his duties, we need to bring in a gaffer who can stamp his authority on the team, and get performances out of them every week. If we don't manage that, we'll do a Forest, only we'll take a LOT longer to bounce back.

I said Kelly should have gone with Levein et al, he was part of the problem.

There seems to be some sort of urban myth surrounding him that he is a good coach, well that is clearly complete claptrap. The players don't play to any clear system and they are still not fit enough to compete at this level.

He is clueless out of his depth and a damn sight worse the CL, he at least had a vision but lost sight of it when it hit the rails for the first time. Kelly has no idea whatsoever.

As for managers we could get -

Alan Curbishley

Mark McGee

David Penny

John Aldridge

David O'Leary

Alex McLeish

Joe Royle

Neale Cooper

Not great, probably will never be the Martin O'Neill mark II so many hanker after, but a damn sight better than the muppet we have a the helm now. Also all of them out of work and in need of a pay packet.

I said Kelly should have gone with Levein et al, he was part of the problem.

There seems to be some sort of urban myth surrounding him that he is a good coach, well that is clearly complete claptrap. The players don't play to any clear system and they are still not fit enough to compete at this level.

He is clueless out of his depth and a damn sight worse the CL, he at least had a vision but lost sight of it when it hit the rails for the first time. Kelly has no idea whatsoever.

As for managers we could get -

Alan Curbishley

Mark McGee

David Penny

John Aldridge

David O'Leary

Alex McLeish

Joe Royle

Neale Cooper

Not great, probably will never be the Martin O'Neill mark II so many hanker after, but a damn sight better than the muppet we have a the helm now. Also all of them out of work and in need of a pay packet.

We wouldnt get Mcleash, Curbs has said he's looking to get a "top job" at the end of October, O'Dreary or Mcgee come anywhere near this club im heading to the nearest railway bridge, Aldridge is a prize ****.

Dave Penny would be a excellent appointment, but if we do sack Kelly we will need to compete with WBA or Leeds should any of the above be on their potential managers list. Wages is a big question mark as well, as well as the fact that all we can offer any new manager no money and a big challice filled with Anthrax.

Indeed but he is a damn sight better than this muppet we have in charge just now.

Rob Kelly is a disgrace.

Well on the payoffs he's had from his last two jobs (for being crap) I don't reckon he needs the money - so we'll never find out.

The problem for me is not knowing what I'd get from whoever's appointed. I want a visionary manager, someone who can take a group of players and get the most out of them. Someone who sees the way they will best play and does all the things required to make that happen.

Way back months ago I questioned Kelly's abilities as a coach, complaining that we didn't score enough goals especially from set plays, didn't pass and move, didn't do crossovers and didn't support well enough. Kelly even referred to some of these problems promising work on the training ground but the benefits of such work seem to have been sparse indeed.

And yet I see most of these things in abundance when I watched Steve Beaglehome's Academy team yesterday, and indeed every time Beagleholm's involved. And I saw it when Mike Stowell controlled the reserves at Hinckley. Yet all these players had been involved with Kelly too.

I've no idea if either Beaglehome or Stowell can do it at senior level because it requires real conviction and astuteness but they certainly know how and Beaglehome has won things or is winning things as a result and winning is winning at whatever level.

Beaglehome had his Academy side regularly committing seven and eight players into and around the opposition penalty area and yet maintaining commitment to fast covering play whenever the ball was lost. He never let up on what the team was expected to do for a minute, not even at 8-0.

That is what I want to see because Leicester have the players to do that. Furthermore I believe many members of our team like Hume, Fryatt, Porter, O'Grady, Weso, Stearman, Hammond also want to do that.

Looking through Barton Fox's list I'm not certain any of those names will advocate such an approach, though I must admit I know little about Dave Penney.

But I do know we need someone who is not afraid to take an attacking outlook. Someone with the charisma to make players believe in themselves and someone with the PR skills to create some real atmosphere around the club again.

We may also need an inspiring coach to hone the skills which will benefit the new philosophy because trying to do both jobs seems fraught with difficulty. Occasionally someone can be brilliant at coaching and managing but it poses special problems.

Whatever comes about Louise, Barton Fox and others are right. We will get relegated if we don't learn and don't change.

And I wouldn't want us to take long to effect those changes because the chance of repeating a run such as we had in the second half of last season is highly unlikely. People know Kelly's general approach and it always errs on the side of caution. Far too predicatable to my mind.

someone who can take a group of players and get the most out of them. Someone who sees the way they will best play and does all the things required to make that happen.

I think that is what everybody is after Thrac, and I do believe that many people thought RK was this person seeing as he transformed a doomed side into one that believed they could go places and beat teams towards the end of last term. However, when he realised we were safe last term, his tactics changed and we stopped thrilling again and scoring goals, we regressed and went back to how we played under CL. Maybe RK doesn't think we're in trouble yet, and so he doesn't feel the need for us to play attacking football, entertain the fans and score goals. My guess would be his priorities are all wrong, and he needs to wake up and smell the danger.

Beaglehome had his Academy side regularly committing seven and eight players into and around the opposition penalty area

we need someone who is not afraid to take an attacking outlook. Someone with the charisma to make players believe in themselves

Which is how the most successful sides play their football - highlighted perfectly on MOTD last night during the Reading - Man Utd game, when it showed still images of United's attacking after Saha came on. They regularly had 7 or more men in the picture, and could quite easily, were it not for Reading defending with 10-11 men behind the ball and the amount of time left, scored a hatful of goals. Now obviously I'm under no illusions that our players are of the same quality as Man Utd's, but there's no reason we couldn't try to attack in the same way they do, pushing men forward, throwing caution to the wind, and burying teams when we're on top. Cautious teams rarely, if ever, win anything. They are normally mid-table or lower teams, content with where they are and without any real ambition - just the sort of side we are atm. I said in another thread that we have the players capable of playing quality attacking football, and killing teams off, it's just a shame we lack an attack-minded, confident manager prepared to take risks once in a while. This could also be a reason why morale and performances aren't very good as well. Certain members of our squad thrive on fast-paced, attacking football, but they are being made to play cautious, defense minded games with little service and support. The bold bits sound like our manager? I'd say so.

People know Kelly's general approach and it always errs on the side of caution.

It's begining to get to the point where people are losing patience with his cautious approach. Caution will cause us nothing but trouble. The best way to get out of this division and gain promotion back to the Premiership is to play ATTACKING FOOTBALL, SCORE A LOT OF GOALS and not be AFRAID to do this. If you look at teams who have won the league in recent times, they have scored many a goal, and prioritised their team on attacking, scoring more than the opposition. Sure their defence was good as well, but they attacked so much that they rarely needed to defend and so rarely conceded, but were always sure of scoring. Cautious approaches would be understandable in the Premiership if you wanted to avoid embarassment or coming straight back down, but this league needs to be attacked in order to be left, that much has been proven.

id hate to see RK to get the sack. i think previous managers, since MON have been digging a hole for the club and the guttless bored have decided to drop a manager with absolutly no experience in the hole and expect him to get himself out of it.

I think there has to be big changes made at the club and i think it needs to start at the top. get the bored out and get new people in with new fresh ideas and take our club forward because if we stay how we are now theres only one way we'r going and it isnt upwards!

on the subject of mangers, if it came to that i think its time to give someone with a bit of experience a chance, we'v tried these mangers who have done well at smaller clubs and with the exception of MON who is just obviously special, it hasnt worked for us. We should be looking at the likes of Kevin Keegan, Joe Royal, Peter Reid.

id hate to see RK to get the sack. i think previous managers, since MON have been digging a hole for the club and the guttless bored have decided to drop a manager with absolutly no experience in the hole and expect him to get himself out of it.

I think there has to be big changes made at the club and i think it needs to start at the top. get the bored out and get new people in with new fresh ideas and take our club forward because if we stay how we are now theres only one way we'r going and it isnt upwards!

on the subject of mangers, if it came to that i think its time to give someone with a bit of experience a chance, we'v tried these mangers who have done well at smaller clubs and with the exception of MON who is just obviously special, it hasnt worked for us. We should be looking at the likes of Kevin Keegan, Joe Royal, Peter Reid.

It he could get a coach to help him I'd love Keegan too. He's exactly what Leicester needs. The atmosphere he created around Newcastle in his time has never been repeated since. Yes, he's tactically nieve at times but his passion and belief is infectious.

And a few other things which are important to me. He knows about attacking, he could play a bit in his time and he knew about winning things as well as coming close.

Archived