Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

Another part to the RK urban myth

Maybe I don't notice the graft that he puts in. It is much easier to notice a player like Gradel at Academy level because when he gets the ball he can be greedy and sometimes it comes off but not always. King is more of a team player and maybe that's what makes me miss some of the stuff he does but it may put him up in Rob Kelly's estimation. Tejan-Sie has come on a lot and I don't mean this as excuse but he'll have to work that bit harder to make it at first team level because of his size. He's going the right way about things this season though and he can look to Levi as an example that you can still push on at this club even if you aren't the biggest. You might not agree but I think Levi has made a big step forward this season even though he's not starting every game. He's still on his learning curve and I think if players like King and Tejan-Sie keep on like they are, they will eventually reach a similar position on their curves too.

Maybe I don't notice the graft that he puts in. It is much easier to notice a player like Gradel at Academy level because when he gets the ball he can be greedy and sometimes it comes off but not always. King is more of a team player and maybe that's what makes me miss some of the stuff he does but it may put him up in Rob Kelly's estimation. Tejan-Sie has come on a lot and I don't mean this as excuse but he'll have to work that bit harder to make it at first team level because of his size. He's going the right way about things this season though and he can look to Levi as an example that you can still push on at this club even if you aren't the biggest. You might not agree but I think Levi has made a big step forward this season even though he's not starting every game. He's still on his learning curve and I think if players like King and Tejan-Sie keep on like they are, they will eventually reach a similar position on their curves too.

TJ might not be the biggest but he's a lot bigger than when I first saw him. At that time he was easily the smallest in the Reserves team. He was tiny and I thought he'd be swamped. In some ways he was. But even though the game largely passed him by he simply never stopped working and never thought of hiding.

I've rarely seen anyone with so much running in him.

Next time he played he was better and thereafter he's just improved game by game to become the energetic, skilled and effective midfield player he is now.

I totally agree about Levi though not everyone seems to accept it. To me he's much that you want in a modern day footballer. Good close control, quick and accurate passing, enough energy to support others and presence of mind in less familiar positions.

Had such a dramatic upheaval not been about to take place the idea of Gradel, Porter, TJ, Kingy and Weso forming the basis of our midfield would but be much more heartening than what we've got right now.

I appreciate what you say Manwell but my (stupid) point was that if they were so highly regarded then how come they hadn't been snapped up earlier by a Premier League outfit or promotion seeking Championship side. Who knows.....We might even have overpaid for them? My (stupid) point, in context of my reply to Thracian, is that they are playing at their level......The Championship.

On the other hand, Premiership clubs might rather wait for the player to prove themselves at a higher level before purchasing them. It's not as if money is a great problem with most premiership clubs. Why wasn't Neil Lennon signed by a premiership club when he was at Crewe. Why was David Nugent not instantly bought by a premiership club. I'll tell you why! It's very rare that a premiership club will take a risk on a lower league player. They'd rather wait until they are at least plying their trade at a club in a division close to the level they play in. Premiership clubs will sign players from the Championship if they are exceptional at that level, but i'm struggling to remember the last time a premiership club with money went out and bought a League One or Two player with the intention of playing them straight the way.

Fryatt was linked with several premeirship clubs, but although there was a rumoured bid from Villa the summer before we signed him. There wasn't real interest in getting him there, they'd rather wait and see how they develop. So had Fryatt of started this season well after his impressive start to his Leicester career then you could guarantee that the papers would be heavily linking him with a move to the premiership this January. Likewise with Hume, who probably isn't far off some serious interest from the premiership clubs.

On the other hand, Premiership clubs might rather wait for the player to prove themselves at a higher level before purchasing them. It's not as if money is a great problem with most premiership clubs. Why wasn't Neil Lennon signed by a premiership club when he was at Crewe. Why was David Nugent not instantly bought by a premiership club. I'll tell you why! It's very rare that a premiership club will take a risk on a lower league player. They'd rather wait until they are at least plying their trade at a club in a division close to the level they play in. Premiership clubs will sign players from the Championship if they are exceptional at that level, but i'm struggling to remember the last time a premiership club with money went out and bought a League One or Two player with the intention of playing them straight the way.

Fryatt was linked with several premeirship clubs, but although there was a rumoured bid from Villa the summer before we signed him. There wasn't real interest in getting him there, they'd rather wait and see how they develop. So had Fryatt of started this season well after his impressive start to his Leicester career then you could guarantee that the papers would be heavily linking him with a move to the premiership this January. Likewise with Hume, who probably isn't far off some serious interest from the premiership clubs.

Dudley Campbell and Jon Stead spring to mind.

As I said, when premier league clubs sign lower league players they normally regret it.

:thumbup::thumbup:

And with that in mind it makes it the more remarkable that Fryatt started the season less than fully fit. You'd have thought in his position and after such a good start for Leicester, he'd have got himself into tip-top condition ready for what could have been one of the most important seasons of his career.

Right now, frankly, he doesn't even deserve to be in our team let alone have hopes of Premiership interest.

I hope for his sake and ours that he quickly comes to realise that and to realise how quickly you can become the forgotten man in football.

But I had faith in them the same as I've faith in Weso and Joe Mattock. Far more faith than I'd ever have in so many of the people who wear our shirt today.

Like the faith you had in Sheehan until he proved he couldn't cut the mustard in division four. Obviously all RK's fault due to bad coaching.

I admire you optimism about the kids Thracian I really do. There doesn't seem to be many that you don't champion, no doubt at one point you will be proved correct about one of them. Fire enough arrows and you'll hit with one of them eventually.

Like the faith you had in Sheehan until he proved he couldn't cut the mustard in division four. Obviously all RK's fault due to bad coaching.

I admire you optimism about the kids Thracian I really do. There doesn't seem to be many that you don't champion, no doubt at one point you will be proved correct about one of them. Fire enough arrows and you'll hit with one of them eventually.

I reckon thats why he does it. If you back every horse your guranteed to win :D

:thumbup::thumbup:

And with that in mind it makes it the more remarkable that Fryatt started the season less than fully fit. You'd have thought in his position and after such a good start for Leicester, he'd have got himself into tip-top condition ready for what could have been one of the most important seasons of his career.

Right now, frankly, he doesn't even deserve to be in our team let alone have hopes of Premiership interest.

I hope for his sake and ours that he quickly comes to realise that and to realise how quickly you can become the forgotten man in football.

I think there is various reasons why Fryatt hasn't had a good start to the season. None of the players looked fit when they started the season, even Hume looked off the pace. Now if all of them looked un-fit, perhaps it was the training regime in pre-season that was at fault and the level of teams we played our friendlies against?. I'm not making excuses up for Fryatt, the longer he continues to mis-fire just makes it an even bigger shame that a player with his ability hasn't managed to carve out a successful career here.

I'm still not writing him off, if he fails here i'm sure he'll re-discover his potential elsewhere. I would just rather him do it here as he's fantactis when he's on his game. Man management needs to come in here, get him back to his best.

I've every faith in all the young players I've mentioned - and people like Wesolowski and Stearman who others mentioned well before me.

If you think I mention any of these kids for some sort of reflected appreciation you don't know me very well. I've had all the accolades I need for one lifetime and every trophy I ever won got heaped into half a dozen boxes and dumped.

I watch and enthuse about the youth team and the Reserves because I like the way they play football. I used to like the way the first team played football.

As for individuals I'd like them all to succeed but the ones I've mentioned - eight or 10 of them in the main I have great belief in.

Even with Sheehan I've not lost faith completely. I don't think he's always helped himself and he certainly wasn't handled in the best way in my view but that's all in the past. Another point with Sheehan is that whenever he might have the chance to do himself some good he's invariably injured.

There's no way I can anticipate that. Ashley Chambers was a wonderful prospect - I'd no idea he was going to be our for a good chunk of the season with who knows what effect on his career.

With Sheehan he had a long term groin injury when Kelly took over and having got himself fit at Mansfield then went down with a toe injury which has likely set him back most of the way to the fitness levels he was at when he went on loan.

These things happen. I'm not a soothsayer.

So who do we have left: Logan, Stearman, Wesolowski, Porter, O'Grady. I think some of them have already made their own statements so its hardly a case of waiting for arrows to hit..

Then, in the wings, there's Andy King, Eric Odhiambo, Tom Tejan-Sie, Joe Mattock, Max Gradel and maybe Billy McKay.

Yes I've got faith in them. They are talented, positive and often entertaining players. They are not my "discoveries".

They are people who look to have the pedigree we used to expect as a matter of course at Leiceter. That's all and I make no apologies for perhaps having lifted their profile a bit on here.

Judging by the turnout at Academy matches, I'm not the only one who appreciates their abilities. Everyone I talk to enthuses over these players as much as me. It's nice to see a Leicester team topping their lead and with such cavalier football. It's something we are perpetually starved of at the Walkers.

How are we all expected to feel? Convinced that all our youth internationals are really losers in disguise. I don't think so.

PS: Were you the school snitch? Or do you always go running to your pals on TB to take the piss? One things for sure - if I was going to take te mickey out of you - which I wouldn't cos I think it's a cheap shot - I'd do it to your face.

And why would I not use Fryatt and Kisnorbo as "young" players. I have consistently advocated "young and hungry" not just Academy young.

As for the fringe players I've mentioned they might not be ready for someone like Reading's team of last season but they're sure as hell better than people getting selected in our team right now.

How some of them ever get picked I've no idea. As for putting slants on things I think you've cornered the market with your last sentence because Keegan and Newcastle were simply mentioned as a concept, as you well know.

There is no way anything to do with Leicester can be mentioned in the same breath football wise as anythiung to do with Newcastle under Keegan these last few years - and yet people defend those responsible.

Attacking as a concept is in the head not in the wallet. Any idiot can attack when they've got Chelsea's millions.

We should call you Teflon Thracian... impossible to make him stick to his original point. If you are now going to use a 25/26 year old in the context of one of your "young and hungry" players then one can only wonder what textual gymnastics you might resort to in the future!!!

Archived