Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Best Passer?

Scanning TB I noticed an interesting query about who posters felt was the best passer in the squad.

I believe there are people on the internet who actually compile statistics of player performances in relation to passes made, those which found a colleague etc.

Anyway Gareth Williams was strongly supported together with Iain Hume and James Wesolowski which slightly surprised me because I would have said Levi Porter was our most accurate passer, match for match.

Stephen Hughes might be up there too although that might expose the weakness of statistics in that the merit and accuracy of a players passing should also be considered alongside the difficulty of the pass and the potential effect of it should it be successful.

Rather like competition diving really. Many people can execute perfect dives - but very few can execute the best dives perfectly.

And so, yes, it might be that Williams is our best passer because he's one of the few who ever attempts difficult passes and gets some of them right.

But I'd be interested to see any accurate statistics.

How can you possibly say that Porter is our best passer ? ? ?

He plays about 10 minutes a game, and often loses the ball, both due to bad passing or bad decision making.

We don't really have a best passer in the team. It always panick stations and rushed ball.

Porter is a good passer, i'm not going to slate Thracian for saying so. He's not provided that many defence splitting passes since he's been in the first team, but there have been a few occasions where he's shown signs of being capable of doing it and in time hopefully this will be evident on a regular basis.

Williams is capable of an array of different passes when he puts his mind to it. His pass out of nowhere for one of Connolly's goals last season against Stoke was exceptional, again it would be nice if this could be a regular occurance.

Wesolowski for me though is the most consistent passer i've seen at Leicester when he plays. Rarely does he waste possession. Okay, he's not in the Williams or Porter mould who would look to open up defences but he's the kind of player to allow others to move in to space to create these openings. What a successful defensive midfielder should do.

Scanning TB I noticed an interesting query about who posters felt was the best passer in the squad.

I believe there are people on the internet who actually compile statistics of player performances in relation to passes made, those which found a colleague etc.

Anyway Gareth Williams was strongly supported together with Iain Hume and James Wesolowski which slightly surprised me because I would have said Levi Porter was our most accurate passer, match for match.

Stephen Hughes might be up there too although that might expose the weakness of statistics in that the merit and accuracy of a players passing should also be considered alongside the difficulty of the pass and the potential effect of it should it be successful.

Rather like competition diving really. Many people can execute perfect dives - but very few can execute the best dives perfectly.

And so, yes, it might be that Williams is our best passer because he's one of the few who ever attempts difficult passes and gets some of them right.

But I'd be interested to see any accurate statistics.

What a suprise.

Williams

How can you possibly say that Porter is our best passer ? ? ?

He plays about 10 minutes a game, and often loses the ball, both due to bad passing or bad decision making.

We don't really have a best passer in the team. It always panick stations and rushed ball.

I don't think how many minutes they've each played comes into it. Certainly Williams might be ruled out then, don't you think.

Williams.

You're bound to think Porter is our best passer though.

You probably think he's our best centre half as well.

Why on earth would I be "bound" to think that? I think Williams and Weso are good passers too - and McAuley for that matter, even Maybury on occasions. Hughes can pass well in what is too often, for me a rather negative fashion.

If you think while supporting our young players that I somehow want the rest to be duff you are quite mistaken.

I did try to find some statistics - which would have answered all the arguments - but where I looked they only had shots, goal assists, bookings etc.

Why on earth would I be "bound" to think that? I think Williams and Weso are good passers too - and McAuley for that matter, even Maybury on occasions. Hughes can pass well in what is too often, for me a rather negative fashion.

If you think while supporting our young players that I somehow want the rest to be duff you are quite mistaken.

I did try to find some statistics - which would have answered all the arguments - but where I looked they only had shots, goal assists, bookings etc.

Why on earth do you think anyone might think you'd think that.

Johnson for me. :ph34r:

Rather than just arguing everybody else's points, justify why you think Porter is the bet passer at the club !!!!

Why do you think he's the best passer in the club, and what have you got to back it up ?

Rather than just arguing everybody else's points, justify why you think Porter is the bet passer at the club !!!!

Why do you think he's the best passer in the club, and what have you got to back it up ?

a) I said I thought he was the best passer.

b) I was just trying to find statistics to back it up - do you know of any?

c) I've watched him often enough and formed that impression.

To quality that I've also tried to weigh up "definitive" passes alongside "general area" passes.

For the back two thirds of the field the requirement is not to give the ball away and in this section - also patrolled by Williams and Weso when there're fit, Porter hardly ever gives the ball away.

In the attacking third all players give the ball away more often because it is so often the final or near final pass and the space is closed down so tightly.

Against Colchester I felt Porter tried to take his man on unnecessarily and he couldn't get a worthwhile cross in no matter how hard he tried.

But otherwise he tends to pass rather than cross his final ball and is far more accurate giving the limited number of runners he has around him.

But, by defenition, midfield and defensive passing for all players is going to be more efficient than passing in the attacking third.

Archived