Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Manager dilemma

It's getting mighty close to decision time and one of the biggest questions facing our club is, if Mandaric takes over, should he appoint a new manager or not.

And for me one of the most frustrating things over recent weeks has been that the few people I might genuinely have liked as manager of Leicester City don't appear to be options any longer, if they ever were.

The only name being persistently linked with the job is Ian Dowie and I can't see any particular reason why he should be better than Kelly.

They both do some seemingly strange things.

But I often quote statistics as being an important guide and Kelly's record quoted on Soccerbase is 48 games played of which he's won 18, lost 17 drew 13.

Apologies if those figures aren't perfectly accurate or up to date but they equate to 67 points from 48 games.

And that's not so bad for a novice manager.

Much of what he's done, many of his team selections, his tactics on some occasions and the apparently bizarre background situations have frustrated me no end.

So has his persistence with what I consider to be ineffective players, his habit of giving us handicaps in certain positions and his often-apparent pre-occupation with defence.

But Babylon hinted that Kelly was an attacking manager when he did well with Blackburn's youth. The playing of Porter, two strikers, and Cadamarteri suggests a slightly bolder approach even if Porter, one striker and Hughes on the right continue to overload the defensive insurance.

The question is, can one believe we'll be even more attacking if MM facilitates the bringing in of better players and can/will Kelly be capable of making them win with a bit of style.

Given the choice of Dowie or Kelly I might surprise a few by saying I'd prefer Kelly.

That record of Kelly's has never lifted us very far up the table as yet but it is an increasingly sizeable statement that the man is at least capable of doing alright. There are no great black spots on the record.

Yet some of Dowie's record doesn't look so good at all despite some success at Championship level and, given that he doesn't seem any more attacking, high profile or personable than Kelly, and keeping Kelly will save another unnecessary upheaval then, given those two as the choice I'd stick.

The only reason I'd change my mind is if we could get an attack-minded, high profile, demostably capable alternative. Trouble is such people are not likely to be running around jobless and looking for work in the Championship.

Someone like Paul Ince might make me think again though. Been there, quality performer, lots of contacts and knows how it's done at the top.

I think RK has done a great job considering what he has to play with and the money he has had to spend which is nothing really, this is his 1st proper managers job in football and i think once he has some money to spend and the player he brings in, it will all click for him. i been a few games i found it hard to go to leicester matches as i live in a different country but since kelly has been in charge and i have been to the games iv'e seen positive football and good football, like against ipswich, plymouth etc..

i hope they keep kelly as manager i think he deserves to have one shot at the league and gets the chance to spend money and buy proper players not freebie's

i hope they keep kelly as manager i think he deserves to have one shot at the league and gets the chance to spend money and buy proper players not freebie's

I think I agree as well.

Leicester fans (myself included) still hark back to the days when we had a demi-God as manager (MoN), and over achieved.

Bearing in mind we have no money, dwindling crowds etc. I think Kelly is doing a good job. We're better off than we were at this point last year don't forget, and some performances this season have been truly excellent (not all - I've been bored to tears in some games).

It's widely accepted that promotion isn't an option this season, so take the pressure off him and see where we actually do end up??

KELLY IN! :)

Just say no to Dowie.

How about Calderwood from Forest? :ph34r:

He loves the 4-3-3 and 3-4-3. :ph34r:

Don't think I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 and am a committed believer in 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. I love 4-4-2. I just don't think we have the players for it and that a manager needs to be able to use other systems when the need arises.

I can't put my finger on it but I feel there's something missing with Calderwood. He's done fine at a modest level it might just be a bit of ruthlessness that's lacking.

Don't know as I'd want him over Kelly at this stage - I really believe it is a serious and fraught business changing managers too often - but Ince seems to tick a lot of the boxes I believe might make a good manager.

Boxes a lot of the alternatives - at least those who might be attracted to us - couldn't tick.

I threw Calderwood out there as his formations seem to shout 'attack' more than the 4-4-2 does.

That's not to say he doesn't hamstring his 4-3-3 with a very defensive midfield... or a 3-4-3 with two defensive midfielders (think Johnson/Tiatto for us) lol

I just don't know.

He wouldn't be a popular appointment anyway... he's too Scottish and works for Forest. lol

:ph34r:

i would love us to take a risk with one of the younger managers doing well in lower leagues and for it too work for once (except MON).

preston have done it with stimpson or is it simpson :dunno: and it has worked well for them. i've always liked martin allen and believe he should be at a biger club than MKDons.

The most succesfull managers we've had, mon, little and in a way mcghhee in the last say 20 years, all learn't their trade in lower divisionsand spent little money and bought in some great buys. If we have loads of money which we may have, get someone in who knows what they are doing, and has contacts. If we are gonna go on the cheap route and get lower league players for a small amount of money, then we need someone from the lower leagues, who know the players.

Don't think I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 and am a committed believer in 4-3-3 or 3-4-3. I love 4-4-2. I just don't think we have the players for it and that a manager needs to be able to use other systems when the need arises.

I can't put my finger on it but I feel there's something missing with Calderwood. He's done fine at a modest level it might just be a bit of ruthlessness that's lacking.

Don't know as I'd want him over Kelly at this stage - I really believe it is a serious and fraught business changing managers too often - but Ince seems to tick a lot of the boxes I believe might make a good manager.

Boxes a lot of the alternatives - at least those who might be attracted to us - couldn't tick.

and herein lies the real problem. even with mandaric on board i cant see our choices expand beyond kelly and dowie. like thracian i would have to say i'd rather see kelly stay in the job then dowie, who i've never been particularly impressed with (especially after reading that article in the sun!)

I threw Calderwood out there as his formations seem to shout 'attack' more than the 4-4-2 does.

That's not to say he doesn't hamstring his 4-3-3 with a very defensive midfield... or a 3-4-3 with two defensive midfielders (think Johnson/Tiatto for us) lol

I just don't know.

He wouldn't be a popular appointment anyway... he's too Scottish and works for Forest. lol

:ph34r:

It's alot easier to throwout sides that shout "attack" when your squad list reads "considerable better than yours"

What's the big deal with Paul Ince? Am I missing something here :unsure:

His current team have one team below them in the whole of the football league and the press are making out that he's turned them into Giantkillers!

I wouldn't want him stepping foot in Leicester never mind The Walkers stadium.

And of course, the Sun NEVER prints anything except the truth, does it?

If Mandy is serious about his ambition for the club then RK has to be shown the door, or at least offered a job back with the academy, where he'd be more suitable.

His overall record this season, even allowing for injuries and lack of cash, does not suggest that he'll be the man to take us back to the Premiership.

As with Levein, too many posters are allowing the euphoria induced by certain games and and results to cloud their judgement of the bigger picture. There have been far too many games where Kelly's team selection and tactics have been found wanting.

Having an accidental manager in charge of the team might be enough to keep us in this league but it does not give us the strength we need to escape from it.

Let's hope this "great football mind" of Mandaric is put to use in appointing a suitably experienced and able replacement.

Kelly Out.

As for a replacement, i'll leave that to Milan to decide. I get the feeling he'll be choosing a new manager quite a few times during his stint at Leicester.

I'm still drawn to Mike Newell for some reason, although I don't see Newell being a Mandaric sort of manager. Dowie, i'm unsure about, but he does have success at this level. 2 seasons in this league, one promotion and one play-off defeat. N

Kelly Out.

As for a replacement, i'll leave that to Milan to decide. I get the feeling he'll be choosing a new manager quite a few times during his stint at Leicester.

I'm still drawn to Mike Newell for some reason, although I don't see Newell being a Mandaric sort of manager. Dowie, i'm unsure about, but he does have success at this level. 2 seasons in this league, one promotion and one play-off defeat. N

Piece of piss, Russel Slade.

What's the big deal with Paul Ince? Am I missing something here :unsure:

His current team have one team below them in the whole of the football league and the press are making out that he's turned them into Giantkillers!

I wouldn't want him stepping foot in Leicester never mind The Walkers stadium.

Let's not forget Macc were without a win and TEN points adrift at the bottom of the league when Ince took them over. He must have done something special to turn around that bunch of no-hopers.

It may be a little premature to talk of him coming here but he definitely has Premiership potential - something that cannot be said of our current incumbent.

This is really a tough one, not only for us fans but Mandaric!! Has Kelly done enough to win Manadaric over, he seemed pleased with the draw against Fulham, but then again he is also a admirer of Dowie, both reports are from the media.

At the moment, I would love Mandaric to bring someone new, with fresh ideas and abit of cash to spend, but like the most of you, there aren't many that fit the bill!!

Let's not forget Macc were without a win and TEN points adrift at the bottom of the league when Ince took them over. He must have done something special to turn around that bunch of no-hopers.

It may be a little premature to talk of him coming here but he definitely has Premiership potential - something that cannot be said of our current incumbent.

too soon for Ince, but agree.... they were dead and buried, to get them where they are is little short of miraculous.

And of course, the Sun NEVER prints anything except the truth, does it?

If Mandy is serious about his ambition for the club then RK has to be shown the door, or at least offered a job back with the academy, where he'd be more suitable.

His overall record this season, even allowing for injuries and lack of cash, does not suggest that he'll be the man to take us back to the Premiership.

As with Levein, too many posters are allowing the euphoria induced by certain games and and results to cloud their judgement of the bigger picture. There have been far too many games where Kelly's team selection and tactics have been found wanting.

Having an accidental manager in charge of the team might be enough to keep us in this league but it does not give us the strength we need to escape from it.

Let's hope this "great football mind" of Mandaric is put to use in appointing a suitably experienced and able replacement.

i'm not claiming The Sun is a gospel but at the same time the article suggested that Dowie has some potentially damaging 'eccentricities'.

you're right, kelly is not the best man for the job, just the best of a bad bunch (of 2).

Archived