Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Manager dilemma

It's alot easier to throwout sides that shout "attack" when your squad list reads "considerable better than yours"

It goes deeper than that. Some people are naturally cautious.

They are afraid to expose themselves by attacking in numbers. It comes across in the threads.

Commitment to attack = risk.

too soon for Ince, but agree.... they were dead and buried, to get them where they are is little short of miraculous.

Agreed, also he has a habit of blabing to the media too much and sulking to the media, but may make a good assistant manager, in hope of making manager in the future!!!!!

Give Kelly a little bit of money and see what happens at the end of the season. This is when the real work needs to be done as we clearly are not making the top 6 this season. If we finish in the bottom 5 then bye bye Kelly, but if we finish 10,9,8th I'd be inclined to stick with him.

NEWS FLASH!!!

Mandy will not blow Kelly out for someone from the lower leagues with no pedigree in this league...

Dowie is his ONLY option of any credibility, unless we start wanging names like ranieri, etc etc around..

I think there is more chance of Jim Smith and some other ex Pompey blerk appearing on the scene... Harry Redknapps in a 2&8 with Gaydamak isnt he?

The club is desperately short of experience both off and on the field.

Hopefully MM can offer the much needed nouse or appoint somebody other than a Goalkeeping coach and a coach from Bury (Miller) to back Kelly.

The currant regime are out of their depth, but in fairness Kelly did show signs on Saturday that his thinking was in line with the average supporter

which is why we should wait til summer before doing anything because i am confident we will stay clear of relegation and finish safely in midtable under kelly. there will be more names around and people are more liekly to leave their current clubs in summer.

I think there is more chance of Jim Smith and some other ex Pompey blerk appearing on the scene... Harry Redknapps in a 2&8 with Gaydamak isnt he?

I'd put my house against that happening, he's one of the people who own Oxford United nowadays so he won't be going anywhere apart from upstairs at the Kassam Stadium if he steps down as manager.

I'd definatly choose Kelly over Dowie anyday, and there don't seem to be many other options available right now.

For me i'd give Kelly until the end of the season at least, give him half a million to a million to bring in some players now and see what happens. If it goes tits up? Well we can get rid at the end of the season and bring in someone else, I can't see us getting relegated under Kelly so im not worried.

don't know a lot about him, i know he was grimsby manager and now yeovil i think. what has he achieved?

First appointment he saved Scarborough from a Macclesfield like situation, they finished midtbale, season after just missed out on the play offs, he was also manager during that fantastic Cup run they had when they only just lost to Chelsea. Slade leaft, Scarborough relegated a couple of seasons later.

Went to Grimsby and despite getting a shed load of stick from the fans he got them to the play off final and they beat Spurs in the League cup, after failing to negotiate a new contract this season he went to Yeovil, ( Grimsby now lie 18th) and they're 5th and are on a good run.

I don't see the point in appointing a big name, there are none available that appeal for a start, and it hasn't worked for us since Taylor was here.

What's the big deal with Paul Ince? Am I missing something here :unsure:

His current team have one team below them in the whole of the football league and the press are making out that he's turned them into Giantkillers!

I wouldn't want him stepping foot in Leicester never mind The Walkers stadium.

Couldnt agree more. Arrogant as a player who thinks he is better than he actually was and it seems the same as a manager. I must admit he has done well to reserect a poor Macca side and has gone on a decent run but he has already come out to say that he wants to manage Inter Milan one day and if he had stayed there as a player would probably be manager by now. Too much confidence is a bad thing lol.

I`d keep Kelly there and see what he does when it comes to adding players. He has pulled afew goodies out of the hat like Cadamateri and McAuley for nothing and isnt afraid to punt them out of they dont hack it, like Josh Low.

I dont think he will get much time beyond the summer to show what he can do though as MM likes high profile players and managers to advertise his club.

Of the incomers, it wont be Souness who is buying Wolves it seems (weird), Dowie buys shite players so I wouldnt want him, Megson is a ginger and no one wants that, Worthington has failed at this level already and my pick would be big Alex McLeish, thats if he somehow doesnt land the Rangers or Scotland job.

First appointment he saved Scarborough from a Macclesfield like situation, they finished midtbale, season after just missed out on the play offs, he was also manager during that fantastic Cup run they had when they only just lost to Chelsea. Slade leaft, Scarborough relegated a couple of seasons later.

Went to Grimsby and despite getting a shed load of stick from the fans he got them to the play off final and they beat Spurs in the League cup, after failing to negotiate a new contract this season he went to Yeovil, ( Grimsby now lie 18th) and they're 5th and are on a good run.

I don't see the point in appointing a big name, there are none available that appeal for a start, and it hasn't worked for us since Taylor was here.

Yeah feck it...lets have im!!

Slade in.. Slade in!!

Hey its a cool name as well... "off to bed Nissa or there's now cup a soop for yow!

Of the incomers, it wont be Souness who is buying Wolves it seems (weird), Dowie buys shite players so I wouldnt want him, Megson is a ginger and no one wants that, Worthington has failed at this level already and my pick would be big Alex McLeish, thats if he somehow doesnt land the Rangers or Scotland job.

McLeish has no more experience of English football than Craig Levein did. Why should we take success in a Mickey Mouse league as serious credentials?

And I think you'll find he's just as ginger as Gary Megson is...

McLeish has no more experience of English football than Craig Levein did. Why should we take success in a Mickey Mouse league as serious credentials?

And I think you'll find he's just as ginger as Gary Megson is...

As I've said to you before Ultra CHAMMPPIIONNNS LEAAAGGUUUEEEE

It's getting mighty close to decision time and one of the biggest questions facing our club is, if Mandaric takes over, should he appoint a new manager or not.

And for me one of the most frustrating things over recent weeks has been that the few people I might genuinely have liked as manager of Leicester City don't appear to be options any longer, if they ever were.

The only name being persistently linked with the job is Ian Dowie and I can't see any particular reason why he should be better than Kelly.

They both do some seemingly strange things.

But I often quote statistics as being an important guide and Kelly's record quoted on Soccerbase is 48 games played of which he's won 18, lost 17 drew 13.

Apologies if those figures aren't perfectly accurate or up to date but they equate to 67 points from 48 games.

And that's not so bad for a novice manager.

Much of what he's done, many of his team selections, his tactics on some occasions and the apparently bizarre background situations have frustrated me no end.

So has his persistence with what I consider to be ineffective players, his habit of giving us handicaps in certain positions and his often-apparent pre-occupation with defence.

But Babylon hinted that Kelly was an attacking manager when he did well with Blackburn's youth. The playing of Porter, two strikers, and Cadamarteri suggests a slightly bolder approach even if Porter, one striker and Hughes on the right continue to overload the defensive insurance.

The question is, can one believe we'll be even more attacking if MM facilitates the bringing in of better players and can/will Kelly be capable of making them win with a bit of style.

Given the choice of Dowie or Kelly I might surprise a few by saying I'd prefer Kelly.

That record of Kelly's has never lifted us very far up the table as yet but it is an increasingly sizeable statement that the man is at least capable of doing alright. There are no great black spots on the record.

Yet some of Dowie's record doesn't look so good at all despite some success at Championship level and, given that he doesn't seem any more attacking, high profile or personable than Kelly, and keeping Kelly will save another unnecessary upheaval then, given those two as the choice I'd stick.

The only reason I'd change my mind is if we could get an attack-minded, high profile, demostably capable alternative. Trouble is such people are not likely to be running around jobless and looking for work in the Championship.

Someone like Paul Ince might make me think again though. Been there, quality performer, lots of contacts and knows how it's done at the top.

I'm not amazed that I agree with this post, but just how completely I agree with it. Kelly isn't going to take us down, of that I'm certain. If we took on a new manager now, he might take time to settle, might take weeks to find any form and bring in signings that upset the balance of the team. Of course it's only a might, but in our current league position, we can't really risk that. In the summer, if he's still keeping us hovering around 18th, fine, we can part on decent terms. We'll have given him a leg-up onto the managerial ladder and he'll be remembered as the man who saved our club last season. If he signs a couple of decent players and sneaks inside the top half, fantastic.

Paul Ince is another good point. I said here a couple of days ago that he could be good, dependant, of course, on whether between now and the end of the season he can prove that he really is talented and not just having 'The Rob Kelly Effect', where once clear of danger we lose all motivation. Until summer, though, we should sit tight.

I really don't think that we can afford to bring in the likes of Keegan or any other people who don't have the ability to motivate, buy wisely and get the tactics right...

We need a good manager that is capable of sorting us out in every aspect...

What? When he first took over we showed play-off form, now we're shit. :blink:

We played well until we were mathematically safe, and we've been in roughly the same form ever since, sitting in the bottom 1/3rd of the league nearly constantly.

Archived