Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Last youngster to be sold/released

i wonder if scott lycett will go on to have a good career

Have we just released him? I somehow doubt he will.

Did we release him?

I know Jay Smedley moved on a few weeks back... he's got a brilliant career ahead of him.

Plays for Eastwood Town FC... in the Unibond league or something. :ph34r:

On a bigger scale, Atletico had Raul on the books but then let him go as a kid, Real quickly snapped him up.

Rooney also had Liverpool trials, but the reason they rejected him was because he wore his Everton shirt (he claims)

Ashley Ward, although he didn't really rise through our ranks, rather we bought him in as a promising youngster who didn't really get a fair chance.

Mind you, we had a formidable front pairing in those days :P

i think brian little signed him from man city iirc. the reason he didn't make it here was that he was a fat b@stard then.

On a bigger scale, Atletico had Raul on the books but then let him go as a kid, Real quickly snapped him up.

Rooney also had Liverpool trials, but the reason they rejected him was because he wore his Everton shirt (he claims)

They didnt reject him exactly - they scrapped their youth team for a year or two for some crazy reason and so he went to the next closes club - Real

Indeed thanks for that lildave, I hate how on internet forums people try to incessantly discredit what anyone says at any opportunity, without knowing the facts. :angry:

Sorry to embarrass you, but Barcalona did buy him from Real Madrid, where he was co-owned with Mallorca. Madrid got £12m, Mallorca the other £12m. Hardly 'released', as you say.

Players develop differently at different times. Some players are unrecognisable from season to season also. A decent domestic example is that lad at Wycombe who has scored in every round of the league cup this season (Jermaine Easter). He has had 3 free transfer moves in 2 years anf all over a sudden looks like a new bloody Les Ferdinand! Also, a striker on the move this week has been Jon Stead. At one stage in the premier he looked awesome and then went off the boil.

The point is its extremlely difficult to judge players abilities and there are thousands of examples of players being released as kids or fringe players only to become quality players in the future.

One thing about the Leicester youth system is it does allow for players to breakthrough into the first team but in recent history, there arent many that I can think of who have made me feel gutted that we lost out. I know Heskey was mentioned by we sold him at his peak for £9m or so and he hasnt improved IMO

Players develop differently at different times. Some players are unrecognisable from season to season also. A decent domestic example is that lad at Wycombe who has scored in every round of the league cup this season (Jermaine Easter). He has had 3 free transfer moves in 2 years anf all over a sudden looks like a new bloody Les Ferdinand! Also, a striker on the move this week has been Jon Stead. At one stage in the premier he looked awesome and then went off the boil.

The point is its extremlely difficult to judge players abilities and there are thousands of examples of players being released as kids or fringe players only to become quality players in the future.

One thing about the Leicester youth system is it does allow for players to breakthrough into the first team but in recent history, there arent many that I can think of who have made me feel gutted that we lost out. I know Heskey was mentioned by we sold him at his peak for £9m or so and he hasnt improved IMO

Top post, well said.

The worst ones got to be Barce selling Cesc Fabregas to Arsenal.

I thought Arsenal stole him. I'm sure Barca weren't very happy about it.

Well sort of, it went to a tribunal I think. They paid for him in the end, wasn't alot though. (they used the sneaky tatics Chelsea now employ to sign every promising player in the football league)

Archived