Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Last youngster to be sold/released

After someone mentioning it in another thread, it's got me thinking. When was the last time this club either released or sold a youngster before they'd really been given a chance at the club and the player has gone on to show that it was a mistake? The only one that springs to mind is Scott Oakes, but I don't think we wanted to sell him. But Pleat was sneaky in what he did with Steve Thompson so that we'd sell him. That was 16 years ago!

I honestly can't think of many.

Does Russell Hoult count?

After someone mentioning it in another thread, it's got me thinking. When was the last time this club either released or sold a youngster before they'd really been given a chance at the club and the player has gone on to show that it was a mistake? The only one that springs to mind is Scott Oakes, but I don't think we wanted to sell him. But Pleat was sneaky in what he did with Steve Thompson so that we'd sell him. That was 16 years ago!

Not really, we've generally speaking had good keepers during his career.

I vaguely knew Pleats daughter and she assured me at the time that Scott Oakes and one other player whose name I can't remember were part of Pleats compensation package when he left city!

Don't know how much truth there is in it but it did strike me as strange that we got rid of him so soon after Pleats departure.

I vaguely knew Pleats daughter and she assured me at the time that Scott Oakes and one other player whose name I can't remember were part of Pleats compensation package when he left city!

Don't know how much truth there is in it but it did strike me as strange that we got rid of him so soon after Pleats departure.

Des Linton?

did we ever have chris kirkland or dion dublin when they were youngsters? :dunno:

Think they joined Cov and Norwich from school

I think if you inc kids and failed trials it could be interesting

Varney?

Leicester watched a young teanager in the 70s at S.unthorpe, decided against it .(couldn't spell it as it has C..t in it)

Story in the Merc read along the lines of 'Keegan failed to impress'

Think they joined Cov and Norwich

I think if you inc kids and failed trials it could be interesting

Varney?

Leicester watched a young teanager in the 70s at S****horpe, decided against it .

Story in the Merc read along the lines of 'Keegan failed to impress'

That's just reminded me! Pat Bonner was on City's books very early in his career, but never made the break through. Or was it just an extended trial? Either way, we missed out a little.

looks like we're struggling for anwers!

just to widen it out i'd be interested in knowing which clubs have made that mistake and the players involved...

Newcastle with Shearer. Paid £15 million for him about 7 years after they'd released him as a kid.

Liverpool did a similar thing with Jason McAteer. Let him go as a kid then ended up buying him for about £5 million from Bolton a few years later.

Ian Baraclough (now with S****horpe) has been plying his trade in the lower two divisions and also Tony Thorpe used to score lots of goals (especially at Luton and QPR???).

Who can still remember the Norweigan lad on loan, Kjetil Oswald in 1987/88 - must be one of my most depressing seasons although it improved just at the end when Pleat came in.

:dunno:

Ian Baraclough (now with S****horpe) has been plying his trade in the lower two divisions and also Tony Thorpe used to score lots of goals (especially at Luton and QPR???).

Who can still remember the Norweigan lad on loan, Kjetil Oswald in 1987/88 - must be one of my most depressing seasons although it improved just at the end when Pleat came in.

:dunno:

How many other sides are edited due to containing swearing??

(Ex Forest)

Archived