Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Kelly Sets 16 Point Target

Leicester City 1 v 1 Luton Town

Leicester manager Rob Kelly has set his side a 16-point target from their next 16 games to secure their Coca-Cola Championship status for another season after they were held to a 1-1 draw by fellow strugglers Luton. The Foxes, now seven games without a victory in all competitions, lie just three points clear of the drop zone on 34 points.

Kelly believes his side will have to dig deep if they are to break the magic 50-point barrier which should guarantee their future in England's second tier for another year.

He said: "Myself and my players have to approach the remainder of the season knowing we need a minimum of 16 points from our remaining 16 games. I think everyone looks at the 50 points initially and they're not going to be easy to get.

"You saw today there's going to be a lot more games in this division between teams at the wrong end of the table scrapping away. I didn't think there was a lack of effort or commitment from either side, they both battled.

"I can understand the supporters' frustrations. We just have to focus and make sure we win football matches."

Mark Yeates enjoyed a dream debut scoring the Foxes' opener after six minutes before substitute Dean Morgan rescued a point with a 33rd-minute header.

Kelly was delighted with the contribution of Yeates, a loan signing from Spurs, and another new arrival from the Premiership, Sheffield United forward Geoff Horsfield.

"For Geoff to get 90 minutes was 20-25 minutes more than I thought he would. He's a naturally fit individual and he actually looked like he was getting stronger as the game went on," he said.

"Mark is a talented player. It was great for him to score with probably his first touch for the club, but he has not played a great deal of football either. But there are some promising signs there."

The result leaves Luton, now seven league games without a win, just one point clear of the drop zone, but manager Mike Newell insists his team have nothing to fear once their injury worries subside.

He said: "If you look at the bottom half of the table, there's a lot of clubs that could get dragged into this. There are 15 games to go, it's an awful long time - a third of the season.

"We're not kidding ourselves, we're not playing great, or anywhere near as well as we can play, but that's because we're short of players.

"When you've got all your players fit, you pick the players who are in form. At the moment we are having to pick the players who are fit.

"There's miles to go. I'm not looking or thinking about relegation. I know that when we have our players fit, we are capable of winning."

And while the Hatters' search for an away win continues - they have not won away in the league since defeating Barnsley at Oakwell on September 30 - Newell was pleased to see his side end a run of three straight league defeats.

"It was a scrappy affair. At the end of the day I'm quite pleased with the point because we gave a bad goal away having started the game quite brightly. Sometimes you think here we go again.

"The players are working hard and they are rolling their sleeves up, which is all you can ask for.

"We have played better and got beat. Just because we've got a point doesn't mean it's a better display - results mask things sometimes. We have got a point and we are competing in games."

And the Hatters boss believes on-loan Fulham forward Bjorn Runstrom has a part to play in that revival.

"I think he has got more to come. He had two very good chances in the first half, he basically hit them too well if you can do that. What you often find is if you don't hit them so well they go in.

"He has come into a side that is not doing particularly well at the moment and it's difficult. He has shown a good attitude and he never ever looked at the league table when we asked him to come. He just wants to play football."

You're welcome to revive my suggestions from last week because they've been totally ignored and we've lost two more precious home points.

If I were manager and that was my team I would be truly ashamed.

In fact I couldn't ever imagine presiding over that sort of performance. I couldn't face my family afterwards never mind the fans.

You're welcome to revive my suggestions from last week because they've been totally ignored and we've lost two more precious home points.

If I were manager and that was my team I would be truly ashamed.

In fact I couldn't ever imagine presiding over that sort of performance. I couldn't face my family afterwards never mind the fans.

:laugh: :appl::worship::Dlol

I think that Kelly has set his stall out now for the remainder of this season. We'll be playing even more negatively than usual now - trying to tighten up our defence so we don't concede and are guaranteed of a point. He'll be hoping to nick goals on the counter attack from now on and hope that 1 is enough to win every game. It'll never work. He's approaching this all wrong.

I've just looked at our remaining fixtures and i think we'll get 18 points. Some tough games in there.

Leeds, Norwich, Cov, Wolves, Southend, Barnsley. All winnable. there's 18 points.

So was today :(

In my opinion, a win today was crucial for us. I said a few days ago that if we didn't win today, we'd go down. I think it was a bit exaggerated, but I honestly now think we're going to find it extremely hard to stay up.

16 points from a possible 48? Kelly is a complete ****wit. That's fooking pathetic. What kind of ambition or positive vibes does that send out? None. It's a recipe for disaster. If we aren't going out every week with the intention and passion to win every game, then we shouldn't go out at all. We're basically asking for teams to batter us every week so long as we can nick a goal along the way.

we'll stay up

I don't buy it. If we can't take a team like Luton today then we are going to have to rely on luck with other teams results for the remainder of the season...are you feeling lucky punk? Well are you?

dirty_harry.jpg

I don't buy it. If we can't take a team like Luton today then we are going to have to rely on luck with other teams results for the remainder of the season...are you feeling lucky punk? Well are you?

dirty_harry.jpg

I couldn't give a shit tbh, I've always wanted to go to Yeovil.

I couldn't give a shit tbh, I've always wanted to go to Yeovil.

It's over-rated.

The squash courts are a let down and, quite frankly, the opening hours of their Tesco Superstore leaves a lot to be desired.

16 points from a possible 48? Kelly is a complete ****wit. That's fooking pathetic. What kind of ambition or positive vibes does that send out? None. It's a recipe for disaster. If we aren't going out every week with the intention and passion to win every game, then we shouldn't go out at all. We're basically asking for teams to batter us every week so long as we can nick a goal along the way.

It's basically the same target he set this time last year. Once that was achieved and safety assured the team switched off and never performed again. Same old..same old.

As for Kelly being a ****wit...Idon't think you are too far from the truth!

It's basically the same target he set this time last year. Once that was achieved and safety assured the team switched off and never performed again. Same old..same old.

As for Kelly being a ****wit...Idon't think youare too far from the truth!

He's a wuckfit. :ph34r:

As for Kelly being a ****wit...Idon't think you are too far from the truth!

I have serious concerns about him trying to perform the Great Escape for a second year in a row though. It is a similar situation and he was able to get us playing half-decent football, scoring goals and scraping wins. My fear is that he used his get-out-of-jail-free card last season. I know we'll struggle more this season to get out of the mess than we did last term - the lack of goals scored by both Fryatt and Hume tells me that. Same old same old? Meh. I think we could be experiencing something new this time around. And it will not be a nice experience.

This just sums up Kelly. Happy with average. Happy to stay up. Happy to draw. What a load of b0ll0cks. He constantly shows no ambiton to try and win the game and when he finally does he has left it too late.

This just sums up Kelly. Happy with average. Happy to stay up. Happy to draw. What a load of b0ll0cks. He constantly shows no ambiton to try and win the game and when he finally does he has left it too late.

At this current rate, i think i'd be happy to just stay up.

Archived