Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Scouting System to be Revamped - The first step

According to the Merc

Milan Mandaric rates Leicester City's current squad - but reckons they need "a little bit of help".

And City's new owner also wants to improve the club's scouting system which he believes will provide a solid foundation for strong growth.

Mandaric will support manager Robert Kelly rather than, as speculation had suggested, replace him - and he has seen enough of the team so far to feel optimistic.

He said: "On the positive side, I see the players are playing for their manager in an enthusiastic team and I think there is a lot of young quality players there and I think they need a little bit of help.

"I would like to revamp and add some more experienced players.

"We will give support when it is needed and in a sensible way."

For that to happen, another big change will be needed.

Since the financial straits following administration, City have not had a proper scouting system. It has been very much make-and-mend through the sterling efforts of current scout Lil Fucillo and a gallant band of helpers.

Mandaric wants to bolster that department as soon as he can, and said: "That is what football is all about. You have to have contacts all over the world these days, and I have a relationship with the football community everywhere, starting in the Premiership here and also in South America, Africa and the whole of Europe.

"So I want to put together a very strong, well organised scouting system so we can build up the assets. It will need more staff but we have to build that network."

According to the Merc

Milan Mandaric rates Leicester City's current squad - but reckons they need "a little bit of help".

And City's new owner also wants to improve the club's scouting system which he believes will provide a solid foundation for strong growth.

Mandaric will support manager Robert Kelly rather than, as speculation had suggested, replace him - and he has seen enough of the team so far to feel optimistic.

He said: "On the positive side, I see the players are playing for their manager in an enthusiastic team and I think there is a lot of young quality players there and I think they need a little bit of help.

"I would like to revamp and add some more experienced players.

"We will give support when it is needed and in a sensible way."

For that to happen, another big change will be needed.

Since the financial straits following administration, City have not had a proper scouting system. It has been very much make-and-mend through the sterling efforts of current scout Lil Fucillo and a gallant band of helpers.

Mandaric wants to bolster that department as soon as he can, and said: "That is what football is all about. You have to have contacts all over the world these days, and I have a relationship with the football community everywhere, starting in the Premiership here and also in South America, Africa and the whole of Europe.

"So I want to put together a very strong, well organised scouting system so we can build up the assets. It will need more staff but we have to build that network."

Excellent. Badly needed, incouraging that he's identified this problem so early.

I think this is a very positive move and shows that he isn't just here to throw cash at the problem. I would expect that bringing in quality backroom staff (now that we can finally afford to employ people) to be his main priority and this makes sense. After all whats the point in bringing in good players if we don't have good coaches?

I would be happy to see people being brought in over the next few months and I think it would be a great help to Rob Kelly. I think that would certainly make us a much more attractive prospect once the summer comes around so that we can get some good players in then.

You reckon Taggs might get a paying job? lol

In all seriousness this is excellent news. The scouting network certainly needed looking at. I'm sure this begins an overhaul of a number of the coaching staff (though hopefully not with the youth set-up too much). Although I think we'll be stuck with Kelly till the end of the season I reckon we'll end up with a Director of Football before then...

i'd be prepared to do a bit of scouting in south america for him ; there's sure to be a lot of untapped talent on say......... copa cabana beach :P

Sorry - I've already offered to scout Copacabana - and I'll even pay 10p in the £ towards my fares / costs !

Don't forget the day in the summer when we got lucky and managed to bag Johnno and JLow on the same day.

Yeah! You cannot disregard that fact. We had been watching those players for quite some time according to Kelly. Brilliant example of some fantastic scoutmanship there

Takes me back to something Birch said on the moan-in that actually made sense, about how every aspect of the club as a whole was tight, kit men, tea-ladies, the academy, the coaching, the scouting, as well as the players.

Good to see it all being addressed, not just the pitch affairs.

i'd be prepared to do a bit of scouting in south america for him ; there's sure to be a lot of untapped talent on say......... copa cabana beach :P

I've been there :cool:

And I hope we don't start getting problems with work permits or anything now :rolleyes:

Great news.

I`d like us to exploit the central European market a little better than in recent years (stand up Gerrabrand or whatever his name was). Its arguably the best way to being in quality players, especially when D1 strikers like Billy Sharp are quoted at being rated at over £2m and Championship players like Nugent are rated at £6m and £4m+ for Southends Eastwood. I would still like to see the bulk of the squad being British or foreigners who have been here for years but I can see MM raiding Eastern and Central Europe for International class relative cheapies.

Archived