Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

fitness levels

To suggest a lack of fitness as a major cause of City's problems is just clutching at straws. You can be the fittest player on the planet but without that 10 yards in your heart it is all useless. Similarly, a lack of confidence and belief and tension makes players freeze - creating the illusion of being unfit. The simple fact is that the players are out of their depth.

3 problems in my mind

Fitness

Desire

Ability (or really organisation - so ability to do 'their job' in the side).

Poor management + too much guff in the squad = awful morale, ordinary unfit side.

3 problems in my mind

Fitness

Desire

Poor management + too much guff in the squad = awful morale, ordinary unfit side.

In a nutshell Mr. TPH.

3 problems in my mind

Fitness

Desire

That i can agree with! but with the academy lads given free reign to gain that all important league expereince in Leauge 1 we will have half the England Squad in our team by next season....

In a nutshell Mr. TPH.

Right, super, now that's sorted.

Good stuff.

So work tomorrow. Pah.

Anyone got anything exciting planned for the week coming up?

I'm going to see Bob Dylan tomorrow night. I have an exam on Thursday.

Otherwise just working as per usual.

Oh and music for this week in the car - Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate.

Right, super, now that's sorted.

Good stuff.

So work tomorrow. Pah.

Anyone got anything exciting planned for the week coming up?

I'm going to see Bob Dylan tomorrow night. I have an exam on Thursday.

Otherwise just working as per usual.

Oh and music for this week in the car - Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at the Astoria Wednesday night. Mum's birthday Thursday. Charlton v Sheffield United next Saturday. All of which seem like insurmountable tasks at the moment.

Also, I hate my job.

Erm... Richard Stearman.

Its not just this lot that haven't been fit, Levein's and Adams teams were also unfit. Training ground contact highlights the little training they really do..........the scottish mob of Levein were too bothered about horse racing bets for the day......says it all doesn't it.......they are only bothered about money.

Its all bollox IMO.

Every new manager comes in and the first thing he works on is fitness and set-pieces. Its a standard new manager line. All we need is 8 players of quality and a manager who can make strong decisions. Its that simple PMSL

Without fitness, you may as well take half the team off for the last 20 minutes.

Many here are slating Worthington, but at least he is a manager who has admitted that the side's fitness is not good enough. Which is more than RK, CL etc did.

Without fitness, you may as well take half the team off for the last 20 minutes.

Many here are slating Worthington, but at least he is a manager who has admitted that the side's fitness is not good enough. Which is more than RK, CL etc did.

It takes a huge man (moron?) to admit publicly that the players you've been coaching for months (or, indeed, over a year) is the least fit squad in the league.

It takes a huge man (moron?) to admit publicly that the players you've been coaching for months (or, indeed, over a year) is the least fit squad in the league.

But not much wisdom, common sense or down-to-earth-intelligence needed to rectify the problem early on....

Oh Fu...

You were told at the end of game one by me they were unfit and it is taking Nige to point it out now to some of you :blink:

What do you see when you go to games :dunno:

I pointed it out on radio leicester phone in after the luton game at the start of the season, but i was wrong according the birch and barber.

If you are not the best side, the least you have to be is fit. It can go along was in this league. That and set peices which we are also pants at.

how is wortho supposed to get all the squad fit in such a short space of time [1 day]

i was one of the first to point out the lack of fitness.

one tatic i would employ is shock and ore, if we dont have the legs and minds to last 90 mins. play for 45 with everything - play to get atleast 2 goals in front then make 2 half time subs - most prob in mid to keep things as fresh as poss and then hope the opposition do not score 2 (or howmany ever we score). save the last sub for the last 20 mins either in defence or up front depending on where we need it most.

youthful energy will be required - the risk of no experience is high but not as high as tired legs + minds.

the alternative is counter attack football, that bases our game on a sound defence - erm no thanks.

hope you read this 1 wortho - save our club and history.

3 problems in my mind

Fitness

Desire

i always remember a quote by the greatest task master we have ever had Jock Wallace -

"Once my players are fit we are only dependant on ability and form, Healthy bodies breed healthy minds."

- Jock Wallace

rip

I agree and one or two comments suggest he is already working on that failing. He's also seemed more up front about our injury situation suggesting that his general communication and awareness of what fans need is better than Kelly's, which wouldn't be hard.

If he can get Dodds back to join Caders on our bench and also organises a proper midfield I'll be well pleased. As some have said, there are limits to the possibilities of the hand he's been dealt and I don't envy him some of the problems one bit.

But if we're genuinely fit by the start of next Saturday's match and the team can sustain 90 minutes of pressure football and give themselves a genuine chance of winning then you cannot expect much more for those last three games.

It is not Worthington's fault that our club is like a coalmine - with little more than slag on the top where the first team sits and precious seams of potentially burning energy deep down at Belvoir Drive.

But at least you can see and hear that Worthington is trying to do something about it.

I just hope he does enough. And I hope he's had time to talk to Beaglehole too so he gets to hear what Levein, Kelly and Stowell chose to ignore. At least he won't have to get any Beaglehole players fit and I doubt he'll have to get Dodds match fit now he's been at Rochdale.

Whatever folk thought of Chris O'Grady he was never more fit than when he returned from Rushden and what sort of advert is that for our club. Yet that was months ago and what have we done about it until now?

So after last nights performance are we really as unfit as everyone believed? I can't imagine NW will have made any significant difference in the short time he's been here. But the last 25 minutes showed that our problems are definitely not as simple as lack of fitness I'm sure they could be fitter but most of the team have been completing 90 minutes of play on a regular basis now.

To me it's mostly in the mind, when the players have belief they will discover they have the energy.

Last night the improvement and rediscovered belief coincided with the introduction of Hughes for Jarret :cool: and the Kop singing the Great Escape, ironically sung in desperation and the feeling of despondency that comes with the ever increasing belief that we're going down.

Hopefully a mistaken belief

So after last nights performance are we really as unfit as everyone believed? I can't imagine NW will have made any significant difference in the short time he's been here. But the last 25 minutes showed that our problems are definitely not as simple as lack of fitness I'm sure they could be fitter but most of the team have been completing 90 minutes of play on a regular basis now.

To me it's mostly in the mind, when the players have belief they will discover they have the energy.

Last night the improvement and rediscovered belief coincided with the introduction of Hughes for Jarret :cool: and the Kop singing the Great Escape, ironically sung in desperation and the feeling of despondency that comes with the ever increasing belief that we're going down.

Agreed!! Alot of desire and confidence has been missing!! And wortho has to be complimented for his part in getting that back!!

Stephen Hughes is very irratating, he cleary is a good player, one capable of being a very good midfielder at this level, but so rarely shows it.

Stephen Hughes is very irratating, he cleary is a good player, one capable of being a very good midfielder at this level, but so rarely shows it.

For once Mr Pablo I totally agree with you. He is a good player, but always seems to play badly!!???

Adrenalin can do a lot. We were only flat out for part of the time and some of our less fit players were missing for all or part of the match.

We need that sort of tempo for 90 minutes - not 20 minutes of meandering and pass backs.

We also need to recover quickly from that last 45 minutes and that will be an additional test of our fitness. There will b e a physical and emotional price to pay that might last several days.

Hughes` problem is he has been injury plagued all his career, thats why Rangers sold him as there fans thought he was a quality player when 100%. He seems to be the type to be running at 80% and being scared to give it his all because he might get injured again.

As for our fitness levels, they werent that evident in the first half yesterday. We showed alot more after the break but that must have had something to do with the adrenaline levels going up after Wortho pointed out the magnitude of getting something out of the game at halftime. I still cant work out why these to$$ers couldnt steam out like that from the first whistle as we may have got something out of the match.

For once Mr Pablo I totally agree with you. He is a good player, but always seems to play badly!!???

He's a player in my book who is lazy as the days long, albeit he does have the ability at this level and needs a good kick up the arse to bring it out of him.

Archived