Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Why Wortho could be the right man for the job...

Find me a manager who's easily available, who's got a team promoted from this division and not relegated them from the top division. :thumbup:

I think you'll find that managers who promote teams and keep them in the top flight soon find another job in the top flight should they lose their job. :whistle:

Other popular names of late have included Adams - who relegated us from the Premiership... Dowie who relegated Palace... Keegan, who's staying out of football... Coleman who hasn't actually promoted someone yet (and will no doubt be credited with Fulham's relegation, should it happen) and Ince who hasn't done anything at all yet. Hoddle's got one promotion to his name but never kept that team in the Premiership either. He hardly bathed himself in glory in his second stint in this league with Wolves, either. Let's not even give Robson the time of day... :whistle:

which 1 is the personality that has/will best learn from the errors they made to become better at their jobs? we all make mistakes - its how we learn from them that counts. Older and Wiser :)

There is much to consider regarding Worthington as our potential manager - his overall record, why he has been successful at times and why he has not been at others.

But for now I'm celebrating his first win.

I'm not only celebrating the win but the improvements he seems to have made in his short time here.

I'm celebrating the change of mood in our team - and the effect it has had on our fans.

The inclusion of a new young player.

The restoring of confidence in other young players.

The re-emergence of Wesolowski as a player of immense promise.

The involvement of fringe players like Gradel and Sheehan.

A manager with the courage to make tough decisions.

A positive atmosphere returning to our club.

A manager who seems at least understandable in what he does.

A manager who doesn't play people out of position.

A manager who tries to balance our team sensibly

A manage who has probably saved our season.

In doing all this Worthington has done no more than restore our club to a state it should have been in as a matter of expectation.

The question now is can he, given the chance, bring genuinely good players in to blend with the genuinely talented players that are fast emerging from our own ranks and which at least some of us are starting to appreciate judging by an increasing number of comments.

Cos I don't want all this ability throwing away for some more indiferent loanees or for a coachload of random signings.

There was mention in the museum of how Liverpool became "the most successful side in England" by carefully picking players who they knew could be improved at Liverpool.

Well I'd like to see our players being improved - instead of treading water or being wasted - and that improvement will be hastened by quality coaching and if we can give them genuinely talented team-mates to practice with.

Can Worthington do that, while maintaining the other attributes of his team and while adjusting his tactics and team systems to suit different circumstances?.

If he can he'll be the sort of manager I'd like here. I don't want the massed ranks of mercenaries thanks. I want something to be built properly. Something that will be ongoing and give us lasting success. Something worthwhile.

Some say our players are "shit" but I have long maintained that our foundations are already in place. And today I saw some confirmation of that and what I want now is for the momentum to continue whether Worthington takes the reins or anyone else.

It would be a massive mistake appointing Wortho.........however watch this space. He has already pulled the strings on a decision regarding the academy scholars. Surely someone who is only meant to be here for 5 games should concerntrate on the first team not the academy !!! Yes Wortho will keep us up, but that doesn't merit him ngetting the job, look what happened last time we fell into that trap......RK !! rest my case.

It would be a massive mistake appointing Wortho.........however watch this space. He has already pulled the strings on a decision regarding the academy scholars. Surely someone who is only meant to be here for 5 games should concerntrate on the first team not the academy !!! Yes Wortho will keep us up, but that doesn't merit him ngetting the job, look what happened last time we fell into that trap......RK !! rest my case.

I recko0n its more a case of bringing some fresh legs in and, potentially legs of the future.

...look what happened last time we fell into that trap......RK !! rest my case.

That case has been discredited enough by now that I am amazed anyone is still bringing it up.

Pack the case, put it in a taxi and send it to Heathrow (to be disposed of by the baggage handlers)

Argue against Wortho if you wish, but not with that tired argument - please. :thumbup:

He's also got a relegation from the prem and nearly ruined 2 clubs to his name, where the fans of both clubs fought tooth and nail nearly having strokes trying to get him out. :rolleyes:

Norwich fans were spoilt, expecting to go straight back up again, any manager who gets a promotion and prior to that playoffs shouldnt be turned down lightly. Worthington like it or not has a good record in this division. Coleman has NO record in this division.

Getting relegation from the prem doesnt make you a bad manager, do you think the watford boss is a bad manager?

We keep saying this again and again.

If Worthington gets the job it wont be just because of these 5 games, he has experience in this league, he can win games in this league, he has a promotion to his name, before that he achieved playoffs more then once.

You and others dont want worthing based on a bad last year out of 5 years? Getting relegated from the premiership on the last day doesnt make him a bad manager sorry, and he is a far better choice then coleman who has no experience in this league and a horrid away record.

That case has been discredited enough by now that I am amazed anyone is still bringing it up.

Pack the case, put it in a taxi and send it to Heathrow (to be disposed of by the baggage handlers)

Argue against Wortho if you wish, but not with that tired argument - please. :thumbup:

:worship:

This is the argument I greatly disagree with - it's doing Worthington great disservice to tar him with the RK situational likeness brush. 400+ games of experience doesn't come quickly or easily, and people seem just a little too willing to discount the fact he has the very experience we claim to be looking for!

We keep saying this again and again.

If Worthington gets the job it wont be just because of these 5 games, he has experience in this league, he can win games in this league, he has a promotion to his name, before that he achieved playoffs more then once.

You and others dont want worthing based on a bad last year out of 5 years? Getting relegated from the premiership on the last day doesnt make him a bad manager sorry, and he is a far better choice then coleman who has no experience in this league and a horrid away record.

Basically echoing what I said a few replies up - in fewer words. ;)

After three games, Worthington still has a worse record at this stage than both Craig Levein and Rob Kelly.

We should be grateful to him for keeping us up, once our survival is mathematically assured.

But I'm not convinced that he is the way forward for us in the long term. I certainly can't see him building a side ready to challenge for promotion any time soon.

However, those hoping for Chris Coleman are likely to be disappointed. i reckon he'll turn up at Palace at some time in the summer. Taylor is surely on his way out there after failing to produce a decent side with the money he's spent..

Ha. I love it. I swear we would have a different manager every week if it was up to some of you lot. He's come in and done okay so far but so did Kelly. Let's see how the Barnsley and Wolves games go and I'll give you an opinion. But virtually any new manager will see a renewed sense of purpose from his team.

As fans, we should be careful about knee-jerk reactions when it comes to making decisions about the clubs manager. Despite Wortho making some brave and IMO very good decisions (ie Logan and Mattock in and seemingly fallen out with the donkey that is AJ), the facts are he has attained 3 points out of a possible 9 with two of those games being home encounters.

Its clear that the lads seem to have more focus and at times we have played some good football (first half vrs Norwich, second vrs Birmingham and most of Preston) but the bigger picture is once the dust has settled and we stay up, can Wortho be the manager to spend MMs millions and tempt big names to our club and can he manage them to another level. I personally have my doubts. I would like to see a high profile manager here who can spend some cash but I must admit that Wortho has leap-frogged the other donkey managers mentioned like Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Gary Megson, Peter Reid etc as a strong candidate if we cant get someone like Kevin Keegan or Chris Coleman.

Instead of arguing against Wortho.......you tell me WHY he is the man for the job ? What has he really done? And don't tell me about getting Norwich promoted etc..........we need someone with real passion.

I must admit that Wortho has leap-frogged the other donkey managers mentioned like Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Gary Megson, Peter Reid etc as a strong candidate if we cant get someone like Kevin Keegan or Chris Coleman.

I think thats it... Wortho has done some good things since he's been here, but thats more of a reflection on the fact that Kelly was even more utterly usless than even most of us thought, but i'd favour him over the likes of Hoddle, Ince (probably lump Newell with that tier as well) and certianly Robson, Reid etc... although were Coleman a possibility it should definatly be explored, but in the main i trust Milan on this (plus from what he's said he seems to have learnt from the whole Kelly debacle :thumbup: ).

Yeah your right Coleman has a terrible away record in the prem........so do alot of other managers in that division!! I agree though he isn't the answer, but Wortho isn't either.

Lets concerntrate on this years problem first though.....the HOME record.......2nd worst behind Southend. Guess that must be the fans fault!!!

You could make an argument (only just) for Worthington pre-Mandaric. But next season, with a fresh start, surely Leicester City Football Club can attract a more experienced, charismatic and high profile manager than him. Ask Blackpool and Norwich fans their opinion of Mr. Worthington after he had been at those clubs longer than 3 games.

You could make an argument (only just) for Worthington pre-Mandaric. But next season, with a fresh start, surely Leicester City Football Club can attract a more experienced, charismatic and high profile manager than him. Ask Blackpool and Norwich fans their opinion of Mr. Worthington after he had been at those clubs longer than 3 games.

Ask any group of fans about any manager that was sacked rather than leaving on a high on his own volition...what's that meant to demonstrate?

If every time you went for an interview all your past mistakes followed you then you wouldn't have an awful lot of success would you - I like to believe that some people learn from their experiences...it's what makes them better people.

It appears that you are arguing Worthington has learned nothing from his experiences of relegation and promotion. :dunno: Doesn't seem that sound to me.

Ask any group of fans about any manager that was sacked rather than leaving on a high on his own volition...what's that meant to demonstrate?

If every time you went for an interview all your past mistakes followed you then you wouldn't have an awful lot of success would you - I like to believe that some people learn from their experiences...it's what makes them better people.

It appears that you are arguing Worthington has learned nothing from his experiences of relegation and promotion. :dunno: Doesn't seem that sound to me.

I think you'll find that Blackpool and Norwich fans were discontented with Nigel Worthington a long time before either of his sackings. In fact, I think you'll find their persistent demonstrations were a major factor in those decisions. Furthermore, I suggest sometimes you have to learn from history to avoid making the same mistakes in the future.

Name some managers that we could get that have more experience then Worthington and are better? Alex Ferguson perhaps.

My problem with the situation is that MM doubts his abilities because he only got him in on a temp contract. He is basically on a hiding to nothing as his hands are tied in what he can actually do on the training pitch in weeks and he cant obviously bring any players in but I`ll play devils advocate and list the things that he has done correctly in a short while.

- Recalled Danny Cadamateri and actually used him as aposed to RK who signed him, used him once and then forgot about him.

- Put Mattock into the team. RK wasnt that brave.

- Seemingly ended AJ careers at City

- Re-introduced Weso to the heart of midfield. RK had the choice but kept on playing the old timers.

- Put Logan in goal. Yes I know at time she looks shaky at crosses and Hendo was playing OK but Logan should never have been dropped in the first place and he is our future. I just got the feeling in January when the likes of Villa were sniffing around Hendo that RK panicked and offered him the No1 shirt if he signed a new deal. I may be well off the mark but I think thats what happened.

- Has seemed to get the academy lads involved pre-match. They are also always around the bench. It happened on occasions when I have seen City but Wortho seems to be using them alot more.

- He seems to be getting the best out of Hughes. Hughes seems to be away from the right-side and looks to get in more attacking positions from the middle of the park. RK played him as a right-winger which made him look like a worse player than he actually is.

- He doesnt defend the undefendable. He seems to be quite straight-talking and to the point from his interviews unlike RK who sat on so many fences that his ar$e was full of splinters.

- Seems to have added some steel to us. If RK was here and we went 2-0 down to Brum I would have expected a 4-0 by the end of it. The players at Preston and second half at Brum seem to be up for it.

Thats about what I can find thats positive in a short while lol. I think he has done OK in a short while but once again, I`d prefer a high profile bloke to come in and tempt some good players here. Whoever is incharge must tap into the academy setup though to test some more of these lads. You cant win divsions and batter sides like West Ham without having some good kids there. See what we have and punt out the ones that wont make it (like COG)

Name some managers that we could get that have more experience then Worthington and are better? Alex Ferguson perhaps.

That would be impossible as you would have clearly made your mind up to oppose whoever I named. But are you seriously suggesting that Nigel Worthington should be the managerial limit of our ambitions? Do you seriously think Chris Coleman is not a far more accomplished manager, for one?

After three games, Worthington still has a worse record at this stage than both Craig Levein and Rob Kelly.

I rather think this is because of RK and CL. The rot has been there and getting worse for years, NW has managed to work wonders reversing this process. Yeah, we have only won one out of 3, but more importantly our players seem different - more 'up for it', fitter, in the right positions etc. It isn't so much the result of the matches, more the manner. If we had been 'gifted' wins under NW with no improvement anywhere then I would be worried.

Ha. I love it. I swear we would have a different manager every week if it was up to some of you lot. He's come in and done okay so far but so did Kelly. Let's see how the Barnsley and Wolves games go and I'll give you an opinion. But virtually any new manager will see a renewed sense of purpose from his team.

I agree, us fans can be bloody fickle, but NW IS a fresh start - he wasn't an assistant under the last regime, unlike RK. And he has experience in this league, unlike CL. Also, I remember another ex manager who didn't do great in his first few games...

That would be impossible as you would have clearly made your mind up to oppose whoever I named. But are you seriously suggesting that Nigel Worthington should be the managerial limit of our ambitions? Do you seriously think Chris Coleman is not a far more accomplished manager, for one?

What do you mean by accomplished? Managed in the Prem?

I wouldn't mind Coleman here. But he doesn't have the experience that Worthington has. Worthington has the added experience of this level and what is required to get us out of it.

To what extent i wonder are people underestimating Doug Livermore's impact, good coach and is bound to be playing a key role at the moment... having watched the highlights of the Macs game, while i still dont think Ince will get the job in the summer i now bloody well hope he doesnt!! :unsure:

Archived