Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Why Wortho could be the right man for the job...

Also we've seen a caretaker turn this club around before and look how that turned out.
You are right in what you say Disco/Daggers/Lemond/Le Mans 24 but we've had our fingers burnt several times before with managers who've got off to a decent start here.

:D

He is not a coach stepping up to the plate, and so I refute the analogy that he is Kelly MkII.

In the past we had a club run by committee, not anymore. Mandy has a plan - he is a successful man demanding success from his employees. If he decides to hire Wortho full-time then that is good enough for me.

:D

He is not a coach stepping up to the plate, and so I refute the analogy that he is Kelly MkII.

In the past we had a club run by committee, not anymore. Mandy has a plan - he is a successful man demanding success from his employees. If he decides to hire Wortho full-time then that is good enough for me.

he appointed Velimir Zajec ; that wouldn't be good enough for me

Give one good reason why George Burley would leave Southampton to come here.

Glad you asked that Manwell, I was beginning to think I'd missed something, like he'd been sacked or resigned :dunno:

I agree with Lemond.

Theres been alot of changes people have been crying for E.G players being dropped, Authority, Attacking football, fitness levels attempting to be raised and some youth being blooded.

Now the only reason people are on the Coleman bandwagon because he managed to keep fulham in the premiership and achieved a few mediocore finishes, though people seem to forget he has the same defence minded attitude as Kelly, Fulham are one of the most boring teams in the Premiership, they rarely win away etc.

So Worthy in, Coleman no thanks.

As far as I remember Rob Kelly did exactly this at the back end of last season and look what happened. Ok, so Worthington has a much better pedigree than Kelly and might just carry this through for his entire stay at Leicester long or short term and could be a success. But let's not jump the gun, we've won one game under him. Attacking football is a myth as well, we've still only scored 3 goals in 3 games under him and conceded 4. I think our fans are desperate for a hero, but there are a lot of wannabe's and blaggers in this game. Let Mandaric choose the right candidate.

As far as I remember Rob Kelly did exactly this at the back end of last season and look what happened. Ok, so Worthington has a much better pedigree than Kelly and might just carry this through for his entire stay at Leicester long or short term and could be a success. But let's not jump the gun, we've won one game under him. Attacking football is a myth as well, we've still only scored 3 goals in 3 games under him and conceded 4. I think our fans are desperate for a hero, but there are a lot of wannabe's and blaggers in this game. Let Mandaric choose the right candidate.

At least we've scored at all... we've had a few too many nils to our name this year. :whistle:

True but we conceded them goals before he had a proper chance to stamp his authority, the team was still reeling.

We've also had more attempts at goal and an actual urge about the team to venture.

Expect within the next few games to see an actual team playing Football, something that never really happened under Kelly.

And it has also got the fans behind them which is also a major lift.

At least we've scored at all... we've had a few too many nils to our name this year. :whistle:

But it hardly constitutes to therm analogy 'attacking football' does it? People are over-reacting yet again. I applaud the work Worthington has done so far, he's making a name for himself, but I just hope Mandaric isn't swayed by the odd decent result and looks at the bigger picture. If he decides Wortho has what it takes then fair enough i'll back him, but I need more to go on.

I'd like to know who is actually available before I nail my colours to any particular mast.

We'll all have to accept whoever MM brings in I also reckon there's a fair chance of it not being any of the favourites.

But it hardly constitutes to therm analogy 'attacking football' does it? People are over-reacting yet again. I applaud the work Worthington has done so far, he's making a name for himself, but I just hope Mandaric isn't swayed by the odd decent result and looks at the bigger picture. If he decides Wortho has what it takes then fair enough i'll back him, but I need more to go on.

Well no, of course not... but it's not a bad place to start.

Part of it is down to the squad itself, though. We don't have many regular goalscorers - up front or in midfield. I'd have thought, anyway...

Hume's goals have come in fits and starts, Fryatt hasn't scored much at all... Horsfield, Hammond, Cadamarteri don't score that often and have also blobbed easy-ish chances on occasion. Our midfielders don't chip in with that many goals, either.

In fact, as far as contributions to the goals for tally go... our defenders are probably the most effective over the course of the season - relative to expectations I mean. McAuley and Kisnorbo have chipped in with a fair few... and even Kenton and Nissa have bagged lately.

It's interesting that of the three goals we scored under Wortho, two were from defenders, and one from a winger.

Perhaps with the right emphasis our midfield will score more... or set up more for the strikers... but over the course of the season, they've not exactly demonstrated they're the most able attackers. Right?

Still, as mentioned above... looking at the stats, we seem to be trying a little harder to score than in previous games. Didn't we have about 20 attempts on goal during Birmingham or Norwich? We had a fair few at Preston - 12 I think - which is a vast improvement on the Wolves game earlier this season (just the two attempts, wasn't it?)

Another point of note would be the bench at Preston - Horse, Cadders, Hammond... three strikers on the bench, only one defender and one keeper. As benches go... that's about as attacking as it gets at Leicester. I reckon that shows some intention at least.

Attacking football is a myth as well, we've still only scored 3 goals in 3 games under him and conceded 4. I think our fans are desperate for a hero, but there are a lot of wannabe's and blaggers in this game. Let Mandaric choose the right candidate.

C'mon Ric...maybe people want a hero but no one asked for a magician. Attacking play refers to the change in the style of play not the end product.

I started to write about half-full glasses and was reminded of the Richard Herring sketch about half empty glasses being good if they are full of poison or monkey semen. "Hmm...only half a glass of monkey semen to go..." :D

It was always going to be hard for him when he got the job. The team were playing awful and didn't look like getting a point from anywhere. He shouldn't have been expected to perform miracles with a failing and incompetent squad like ours was.

To be fair to him, I think he's done fairly well. He's not been afraid to make changes, bringing in Mattock etc and I can't really fault him for it.

I'm sure Manadaric will pick the best man for the job and should it be Worthington I wouldn't be too disappointed. With some cash in the Summer who knows what he can do? That goes for any manager. We've not had money like this for a good while and any manager that comes in will need to spend it wisely if we are make any claim for a promotion push.

Well no, of course not... but it's not a bad place to start.

Part of it is down to the squad itself, though. We don't have many regular goalscorers - up front or in midfield. I'd have thought, anyway...

Hume's goals have come in fits and starts, Fryatt hasn't scored much at all... Horsfield, Hammond, Cadamarteri don't score that often and have also blobbed easy-ish chances on occasion. Our midfielders don't chip in with that many goals, either.

In fact, as far as contributions to the goals for tally go... our defenders are probably the most effective over the course of the season - relative to expectations I mean. McAuley and Kisnorbo have chipped in with a fair few... and even Kenton and Nissa have bagged lately.

It's interesting that of the three goals we scored under Wortho, two were from defenders, and one from a winger.

Perhaps with the right emphasis our midfield will score more... or set up more for the strikers... but over the course of the season, they've not exactly demonstrated they're the most able attackers. Right?

Still, as mentioned above... looking at the stats, we seem to be trying a little harder to score than in previous games. Didn't we have about 20 attempts on goal during Birmingham or Norwich? We had a fair few at Preston - 12 I think - which is a vast improvement on the Wolves game earlier this season (just the two attempts, wasn't it?)

Another point of note would be the bench at Preston - Horse, Cadders, Hammond... three strikers on the bench, only one defender and one keeper. As benches go... that's about as attacking as it gets at Leicester. I reckon that shows some intention at least.

Weso's a gem when he's fit and Hughes is looking re-motivated but don't expect either to get many goals - cos they won't.

And seeing they won't pick Kingy they might as well get resigned to the fact that they'll have to buy someone else to score from midfield.

It's also a pointer to Worthington's style away from home.

It's much more balanced and we defend higher cos we're fitter than with Kelly but it's still safety first with the whole idea being not to concede and to grab a goal somewhere.

So appointing Wortho would be short term if we're aiming for the Premiership. Cos if he thinks we'll hold out for 1-0 wins away from home in that League he's kidding himself.

I don't kow cos I didn't follow em closely but perhaps that's why they came down.

Not that he's different from lots of others. But somehow we have to find the exception. The guy like Steve Coppell who believes in doing a bit more than that.

Wortho's done himself no harm but Burley, Newell, Ince have more appeal and what about this guy at Rochdale?. They've come through like an express train scoring goals galore and are now just within shouting distance of the play-offs.

How long is it since Rochadale ever scored 7's and 5's. One-one was always a drama there. That's not a proposal but if I was MM and I hadn't made a decision, I'd be checking him out and one or two more because I can't imagine that sort of run is a fluke.

I might check their striker's out too. Because if they're as good or better than Dodds then they're no mugs and undoubtedly better than some we'e got.

I don't kow cos I didn't follow em closely but perhaps that's why they came down.

They certainly weren't short of goals at home. Dreadful away form cost them in their Premiership season.

They scored 29 goals at home during 04/05 (although they conceded 32) - 1.5 goals per game at home.

They only scored 13 goals away (conceded 45) - 0.7 goals per game.

I don't remember them being very defensive at home or away - and I was following them with something of an interest at the time. They just weren't very good away from home... they could score goals at home, definitely... they had to because their defence just wasn't up to it. With the defence they had at the time, trying to hold on wasn't really an option. Their defence was - far and away - the worst in the league, conceding 77 goals.

But, if they did go defensive away from home - and conceding more than three times as many goals as scored was the result - then you'd really hope he's learned his lesson. I'm pretty sure they picked up a bit towards the end of the season, I'm sure they caused a lot more problems for teams as the season wore on - perhaps he learned his lesson in 04/05, just not soon enough?

Actually, looking at their results list, they definitely picked up the pace towards the end of the season. Five of their seven wins came in the second half of the season... perhaps even the final third of the season. In fact, their run in April is almost certainly what set up that spectacular finish that season - 10 points from 18 - scoring 12 goals in six games.

Anyways... I'm sure I've wandered off, so I'll shut up now. :blush:

i'll admit i wasn't impressed when NW was appointed but looking at the alternatives i think we could do worse. Newell and Robson weren't appointed even though they were unemployed so they seen to be out the equation, Coleman doesn't impress me at all, keeping an already good squad up with money to spend is an achievement but not a brilliant one. as for Ince i don't think he's tested enough, maybe 1 for the future.

Wortho's done himself no harm but Burley, Newell, Ince

What do ya know about Ince? He keeps getting named as a possible manager but I dont know that much about him. What is his style of play? Has he acually done that well at Macc's? Would he have more contacts then Worthington?

Another well thought out, factually based and supported argument to add to the repertoire. :thumbup:

Cheers. I apprieate your time to reply, but i have stated this in prevoius posts.

Im only going on past experiance, when the going gets tough Wortho adopts the long ball game, and that was one of the major factors Blackpool fans got one his back which ultimately ended his reign. I was there so it is FACT and although it was like 10yrs ago, once a hoofer always a hoofer.

Im not saying he'll adopt that here or even if he did at Norwich (But im sure he did at times and ive read he did from a few Norwich fans), but its a possibility that could arise if appointed long term.

Cheers. I apprieate your time to reply. Im only going on past experiance, when the going gets tough Wortho adopts the long ball game, and that was one of the major factors Blackpool fans got one his back which ultimately ended his reign. I was there so it is FACT.

Im not saying he'll adopt that here but its a possibilty that could arise.

That's fair enough, you were there and you've seen it happen. At least you have some foundation to your argument, although it's somewhat tenuous.

When the going gets tough, a lot of teams go for long ball. It's almost automatic for a lot of teams, whether they're instructed to or not is anyone's guess.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and when you're chasing a game it becomes all to easy to start pumping balls up the field. In recent times I've seen Tottenham, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Bolton and Man City pump balls up the field when they've been chasing a game in the latter stages. Tottenham, from what I've seen lately are among the worst offenders for long ball... just an opinion, like.

Even the mighty Arsenal have done it recently. Their lovely flowing football was well and truly thrown out the window against Man City in the early part of this season. They completely abandoned total football for the last 10-15 minutes while they desperately chased the game having gone a goal down. It was truly desperate stuff, made all the more amusing by the fact that not a single Arsenal player seemed to know how to handle a long ball game at all. This wasn't the only game where they lost their way near the end of a match, I just don't remember who the opposition was for the other games... but the Man City game was the best example of it.

I don't see "Plan B: Long Ball" as an issue - so long as it is a Plan B... and if it's used effectively. I could understand the objection to Plans A and B both being long ball, but I don't agree with the rejection of a manager just because he might go long ball if the going gets tough. That's my opinion - you may never want to see long ball ever - in which case, the last couple of seasons must have been gut wrenchingly poor for you. ;)

There's a sharp contrast between effective long ball (see Bolton) and ineffective long ball (Arsenal at Man City, Leicester with Hume and Fryatt up front). Effective long ball, used sparingly, isn't a huge issue in my opinion. Ineffective long ball used all the time isn't a happy combination, though. Again, it's all a question of preference - some might want to see the ball no higher than three feet off the ground etc etc.

I understand what your saying but they're was a major difference from when he arrived to when he left, he started out well enough like he has here, keeping the ball on the ground, passing it about, but when that failed and we lost a few games he ran out of ideas and just adopted a long ball game from the out-set of every game. The fans became tired of it and called for his head, which they finally got after months, and months of protests for want of a word. It really did seem like he worms his way in with the owner and became good friends.

If he gets appointed here, i'll support him as im a LCFC man and want us to do well.

I or anybody else won't make a difference with are opinions who Milan wants as manager.

I understand what your saying but they're was a major difference from when he arrived to when he left, he started out well enough like he has here, keeping the ball on the ground, passing it about, but when that failed and we lost a few games he ran out of ideas and just adopted a long ball game from the out-set of every game. The fans became tired of it and called for his head, which they finally got after months, and months of protests for want of a word. It really did seem hi worms his way in with the owner and became good friends.

If he get appointed here, i'll support him as im a LCFC man and want us to do well.

I or anybody else won't make a difference with are opions who Milan wants as manager.

You should tell that to the people who think a protest will help. lol:ph34r:

So when we get to the prem we will have a championship manager who knows how to get relegated !!!

greanted - Coleman's not the answer either.

My question is if NW does stay and has to work with these players (almost same as CL & RK) what would he achieve?

We may never know as we are all expecting some funds for a squad transformation. And therefore if NW stays or any other new manager comes in they will be in a far better position than any manager since the dreadful PT.

The 2nd time bolton got promoted was with a manager who knew how to get relegated. Look where they are now :)

Archived