Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Why Wortho could be the right man for the job...

...i was speaking to a work colleague today who runs an Aylestone Park FC team. Joe Mattock played under him and spoke to my mate on wednesday. Mattock says that everything has changed now Worthington's come in, things are run a lot more professionally and people are kept on their toes rather than in the comfort zone.

Its not a lot but if the players are already giving him the respect then who knows if we stay up!!!

Anything would have been an improvement.

Mattock is on a roll now and must be delighted with the changes and the fact that Worthington appears to be more interested in picking a balanced team than ensuring all his mates get a game.

But there's invariably praise for the new guy. Twelve months ago the fans would have screamed in protest had Kelly been sacked.

For all his efforts - and I've little to say against any of them - he's still got to come up with a winnign formula. MON took ages so we could still go down and it wouldn't prove anything about Worthington.

But I'll say this. After all the shit he's had to shovel, if he does keep us up he'll deserve some praise.

I might have to agree with this thread title here.

I don't think Worthington's done a lot wrong in his time here so far. He's made changes, positive ones, and I cannot fault him for that. He's had the balls to drop players who Kelly wouldn't have dropped. If he keeps us up comfortably then there's no reason why he shouldn't become our next boss.

Yeah the players are shittin themselves with fear from Worthington :rolleyes:

Proformances have improved loads :rolleyes:

The only thing these players respect in there bank account. They can all fuk of in the summer.

I think Hume might have something to say about that. And a few more.

But not many. Which is why I hope Worthington picks people who have a future here or have shown they'll give their all.

Perhaps we could play five-a-side! :D

What about in the long run when he's signing oldies like Dublin and Docherty, and useless players like Peter Thorne and Dickson Etuhu? Worthy may be good for now but in the long run no way, we'll be back to the Adams days.

What about in the long run when he's signing oldies like Dublin and Docherty, and useless players like Peter Thorne and Dickson Etuhu? Worthy may be good for now but in the long run no way, we'll be back to the Adams days.

Where we won promotion? I wouldn't mind that to be honest.... :whistle:

And people have been moaning on here that we havn't got enough experience here.

Your never gonna please everyone I know, but the moment we sign a "oldie" (alot of) people moan, and when we are in the situation like we are now (alot of) people moan that "we havn't got any experience"...when tbh the truth is at the moment we just have shite players.

I'd hate to manage here, no matter what you do you get slagged off. Every manager that is employed by LCFC is compared to MON, Face it, No-one is gonna beat MON (Very unlikly anyway) and we were spoilt under the MON days.

And people have been moaning on here that we havn't got enough experience here.

Your never gonna please everyone I know, but the moment we sign a "oldie" (alot of) people moan, and when we are in the situation like we are now (alot of) people moan that "we havn't got any experience"...when tbh the truth is at the moment we just have shite players.

I'd hate to manage here, no matter what you do you get slagged off. Every manager that is employed by LCFC is compared to MON, Face it, No-one is gonna beat MON (Very unlikly anyway) and we were spoilt under the MON days.

MON was successful because he played to people's strengths.

First and foremost players were selected to do what they were good at.

And MON blended those skills into an effective unit by shrewd observation and the strength of his own personality.

Lately though we've had a system first then asked the players to fit into it.

What we need is a manager who looks at his jigsaw and says this is the way to fit em together.

And if there's pieces missing he goes out and gets a particular replacement that fills the gap perfectly.

He doesn't get chancers from Spurs who turn out for a few minutes here and there or passing clouds like Lombard, or horses that can't jump and can't run.

Pieces like that aren't what we need because they don't really fit in any of the holes and therefore make the picture look more complete.

If you cannot find a piece you either have to be patient or make one of your own.

Age/experience doesn't really come into it - just ability, reliability, enthusiasm and determination.

Think about those qualities. There's not many of em.

Then think of the best veteran players around - people like Giggs, Scholes, Neville.

All three have those qualities in abundance.

And that's what our manager needs to be sure of when he brings players in - whatever their age.

Sadly we've been lucky to muster 1/4 or those qualities with many of our signings and choice of first teamers.

Whether Worthington can do it consistently and blend them together I don't know.

If he did people would appreciate him.

But I don't think he'll get the chance if Ince is in waiting?

I might have to agree with this thread title here.

I don't think Worthington's done a lot wrong in his time here so far. He's made changes, positive ones, and I cannot fault him for that. He's had the balls to drop players who Kelly wouldn't have dropped. If he keeps us up comfortably then there's no reason why he shouldn't become our next boss.

OH MY GOD.. :cry: :cry:

Players begin to grasp what I want - boss

worthington130407.gif

Nigel Worthington says he is delighted with the "transformation" he has achieved at Leicester City in a little over a week.

Worthington, appointed caretaker until the end of the season after the sacking of Robert Kelly 10 days ago, believes he has made the right impact with his squad.

While he lost his first two games, against Norwich and Birmingham, there were signs of a renewed spirit, albeit only for one half of each.

Worthington says he has seen a change from the tension-filled negativity he first encountered.

And, having put a smile back on some players' faces in training, he needs to put a smile back on the faces of City's long suffering fans.

Creating the right atmosphere for the remaining games was essential, and by disciplining midfielders Andy Johnson and Danny Tiatto for breaking club rules by not staying to watch the game against Norwich, he displayed a no-nonsense approach right from the start.

Worthington has had to stamp his own mark on things this week, and has been encouraged with the reaction of the players.

He said: "I have seen a transformation in the players since I came here.

"They are enjoying it and working hard, and the only thing that is missing is the win which is the most important thing.

"I must admit the way it has progressed has pleased me.''

He added: "The biggest change in the week has been turning it around, to getting the players to think what I and the staff are looking for, and I think they have grasped that.

"People may think you can't work and smile at the same time, and that was the case when we came into the club. I am a great believer if you are happy when you are working then more will come out."

Getting rid of the apprehension is a big ask for Worthington as today's trip to Preston was one, which on paper, was unlikely to yield anything.

After today, City have only two games left, against Barnsley at Oakwell next Saturday and at home to Wolves on Sunday, May 6, to secure their Championship status.

Worthington said: "The situation is still there, and we are aware of it.

"So it is a case of go out there, be strong, and concentrate on the finishing when we get chances. The signs are there and it will come."

All this philosophy and positive thinking is great and i pray it works BUT how do you alter the mindset of players who- A- don't think they will be playing at LCFC next season anyway(regardless of what division we are in!)...B.....Have not won a game in 10...REPEAT....HAVE NOT WON ONE GAME IN THE LAST 10!!!.......and C...Are CRAP!!!! :angry::dunno::dunno:

the results are testament to this so far :whistle:

Are you kidding?? He was thrown in to the Norwich game with no prior knowledge of how anything works at lcfc, nothing on the players or staff, then 3 days later against the best team in the league where we had 21 shots on goal and couldnt score - is that Worthingtons fault?!?!

Lets not base the season on 30 odd minutes of decent football( v Bham).Worto has done ok...BUT ITS STILL 2 DEFEATS OUT OF 2!!!! Perhaps even Jose M couldn't do better with these players...its all the players fault END OF.....These same players have now got 2 managers the sack,they are the same players(MORE OR LESS) who got us out the shit last year under Kelly,and they are now the same players who have not won a game in 10 and will be the players made famous fore taking us into the 3rd tier of English football for the 1st time EVER! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I really don't know who to choose... it would seem we have three choices:

Chris Coleman - Had a good deal of success at Fulham no matter how you look at it. He almost took them into the top 6 though difficult circumstances prevented him taking the club further and eventually led to them falling though they would never have gone down... he would certainly be my favourite due to his Premiership experience and seems to haved a good array of qualities.

Nigel Worthington - Is already here. Had success at Norwich taking them up and although they came straight back down he had done well to forge a good team together. He seems to be disciplining the team into action now (21 shots v Brum) though with a bit more time we might be able to get even better!

Paul Ince - Not really sure what to think of him... He's inexperienced and I'm unsure whether he has the tactical nouse to be able to organise a team as big a Leicester but we will see should he be appointed...

I'd take Worthington over Ince any day, particuarly in the light of what he has done since he has been here.

He seems a different kind of manager to either Taylor/Kelly or Levin.. He seems to want to put the ball on the floor and play, and he lets people know where they stand... Have to say the news that he disciplined Tiatto + Johnson for not staying to watch the Norwich match is the most positive thing I've heard, he seems to be creating the siege mentality that the players need... They have to feel like it's them against the world, all in it together. And, there have to be leaders within that group that will act as 'father figure' like role models to the younger guys... It's gotta be a family, a family that's willing go out onto the field once a week and die for one and other, for their name and for their pride...

thats what we need.. and if that is what Wortho is creating, then I'm all for it

I'd take Worthington over Ince any day, particuarly in the light of what he has done since he has been here.

He seems a different kind of manager to either Taylor/Kelly or Levin.. He seems to want to put the ball on the floor and play, and he lets people know where they stand... Have to say the news that he disciplined Tiatto + Johnson for not staying to watch the Norwich match is the most positive thing I've heard, he seems to be creating the siege mentality that the players need... They have to feel like it's them against the world, all in it together. And, there have to be leaders within that group that will act as 'father figure' like role models to the younger guys... It's gotta be a family, a family that's willing go out onto the field once a week and die for one and other, for their name and for their pride...

thats what we need.. and if that is what Wortho is creating, then I'm all for it

Agreed. He's surprised me with the amount he's done. I suppose he's got a limited amount of time to convince Milan he's the man.

We needed to get away from CL's and RK's almost identical approach and I'm pleased we seem to have a stricter taskmaster at the helm right now.

Personally, when he came in, I was certain he wasn't the right man for us. Even after two defeats, he's opened my mind. Now all he needs to do is convince me.

If he doesn't get results now, though, he'll never get the job.

What I do like is that many of his flaws pointed out by our friendly Norwich fan seem not to be evident. This either suggests he's learned from his mistakes or that the Norwich fans were exagerrating a bit. I suspect some of both, but it's still encouraging. His level of discipline also seems to be what we need right now.

Archived