Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Why Wortho could be the right man for the job...

The 2nd time bolton got promoted was with a manager who knew how to get relegated. Look where they are now :)

As Bolton were relegated from the Premiership under Roy McFarland/Colin Todd and promoted with Sam Allardyce, it is difficult to see what point you are trying to make!!!

Certain clubs are managed knowing that relegation is a possibility or even strong favourite and are managed accordingly, Watford was one of those this season and they plan to come up stronger. I personally have my doubts lol

As for us, we need to install someone in here who can not only motivate the current crop, but one to not be so pally like RK but someone who is quite stern when he has to be. Also someone with an eye for a player would help lol. Whether Wortho is the man to do it is open to debate but I think it all depends on what other choices we have in a few weeks. MM hasnt made his mind up thats for sure but Wortho is in with a shout http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...in+line+for+job

They certainly weren't short of goals at home. Dreadful away form cost them in their Premiership season.

They scored 29 goals at home during 04/05 (although they conceded 32) - 1.5 goals per game at home.

They only scored 13 goals away (conceded 45) - 0.7 goals per game.

I don't remember them being very defensive at home or away - and I was following them with something of an interest at the time. They just weren't very good away from home... they could score goals at home, definitely... they had to because their defence just wasn't up to it. With the defence they had at the time, trying to hold on wasn't really an option. Their defence was - far and away - the worst in the league, conceding 77 goals.

But, if they did go defensive away from home - and conceding more than three times as many goals as scored was the result - then you'd really hope he's learned his lesson. I'm pretty sure they picked up a bit towards the end of the season, I'm sure they caused a lot more problems for teams as the season wore on - perhaps he learned his lesson in 04/05, just not soon enough?

Actually, looking at their results list, they definitely picked up the pace towards the end of the season. Five of their seven wins came in the second half of the season... perhaps even the final third of the season. In fact, their run in April is almost certainly what set up that spectacular finish that season - 10 points from 18 - scoring 12 goals in six games.

Anyways... I'm sure I've wandered off, so I'll shut up now. :blush:

You touch on one of the main reasons I'm doubtful about Worthington. I mentioned even in relation to Preston that he goes away to keep a clean sheet first and foremost and pinch a goal as a bonus if he can.

He does it, not by sitting deep or with defensive overload (a la Kelly) but by pushing up quite high and giving the impression he's being quite positive in his approach which is true to a point.

Before the three points a game rule it might be an okay strategy.

Now you might just as well attack the away games.

I'm not criticising his approach at Preston - special situations can call for special measures - but, generally, fast counter-attacking in numbers is the strategy for away games and while we certainly had our share of the game, we never really attacked in numbers, nor on that occasion did I expect that we would.

But as a demonstration of what I mean think of Manchester United last night. They had recovered a difficult situation and could easily have sat in relief on a 2-2 til the end of the match.

But When Giggs won the ball and drove forward my son said "where's the back up" and just as he spoke four United players came into the picture, ignoring their exhaustion, and driving forward for all they were wotth to try and win the game. There was never a moment's thought about settlin for a draw.

If Worthington could convert his present thinking to that of Ferguson in this area, he might become a more exciting prospect as a manager.

Worthington at least appreciates the need to drive forward (which Kelly never did) cos he showed it at times against Birmingham. It is a vital component of a successful modern day team.

But the biggest question for Worthington is can he spot and can he buy the players to do it successfully and will he develop the ones we already have here?.

My mind is by no means made up on the issue.

...i was speaking to a work colleague today who runs an Aylestone Park FC team. Joe Mattock played under him and spoke to my mate on wednesday. Mattock says that everything has changed now Worthington's come in, things are run a lot more professionally and people are kept on their toes rather than in the comfort zone.

Its not a lot but if the players are already giving him the respect then who knows if we stay up!!!

I've never known why he's slagged off. Same with Dowie. Ok, here's to me getting shot down :dunno:

I've never known why he's slagged off. Same with Dowie. Ok, here's to me getting shot down :dunno:

Sometimes I think fans treat managers like a pair of trainers and want the latest and best looking ones instead of the ones that are best for the job! Wortho looks like a pair of Bukta`s that can be bought from JJB for £9 on sale whilst someone like Ince is a £150 only available from Footlocker lol. Ive said it before and i`ll say it again, what has Paul Ince achieved?? Lets get someone in that knows his stuff, even if it it a Dunlop lol

Sometimes I think fans treat managers like a pair of trainers and want the latest and best looking ones instead of the ones that are best for the job! Wortho looks like a pair of Bukta`s that can be bought from JJB for £9 on sale whilst someone like Ince is a £150 only available from Footlocker lol. Ive said it before and i`ll say it again, what has Paul Ince achieved?? Lets get someone in that knows his stuff, even if it it a Dunlop lol

What has Ince achieved? That's a classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ince

What has Ince achieved? That's a classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ince

You know full well I am talking about in management. Of course he was a great player who won plenty but that doesnt automatically make someone a great manager. You keep going on about the magnificent job he is doing with Macclesfield but with two games to go they could still go down which is hardly an amazing job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/6591589.stm

Not sure if this has been done but Mandaric says Wortho has done his chances no harm.

Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric says caretaker boss Nigel Worthington is in the frame for the permanent post.

Worthington was put in charge until the end of the season following Rob Kelly's dismissal earlier this month.

Mandaric told the Leicester Mercury: "He has made a difference and he will be considered.

"The response he's had from the players has been good in a short space of time, if we keep doing well, he would have a good chance of the job."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/6591589.stm

Not sure if this has been done but Mandaric says Wortho has done his chances no harm.

Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric says caretaker boss Nigel Worthington is in the frame for the permanent post.

Worthington was put in charge until the end of the season following Rob Kelly's dismissal earlier this month.

Mandaric told the Leicester Mercury: "He has made a difference and he will be considered.

"The response he's had from the players has been good in a short space of time, if we keep doing well, he would have a good chance of the job."

Yeah someone put the link up from SS as well yesterday. I must admit I am getting more impressed by the day and his running of first team affairs. He seems quick in seeing what we see and booting out players like AJ and Yeates and bringing in Mattock, Logan and Weso into the team is what many would call for on here.

Hold on, I see whats happening here. Wortho reads this forum and then acts!!

Yeah someone put the link up from SS as well yesterday. I must admit I am getting more impressed by the day and his running of first team affairs. He seems quick in seeing what we see and booting out players like AJ and Yeates and bringing in Mattock, Logan and Weso into the team is what many would call for on here.

Hold on, I see whats happening here. Wortho reads this forum and then acts!!

I think it was clear for all to see, the key will come when he is making mistakes and how long it takes him to act.

The biggest reason three of the last four manager at City have failed is due too stubborness over mistakes. Everybody could see them but rather than admit them and act on them, they repeated them in the hope they would eventually work.

I think it was clear for all to see, the key will come when he is making mistakes and how long it takes him to act.

The biggest reason three of the last four manager at City have failed is due too stubborness over mistakes. Everybody could see them but rather than admit them and act on them, they repeated them in the hope they would eventually work.

I dont know about that. Most of the managers in recent times have had the hands tied behind the back and have scraped the barrel when it comes to bringing players in. Thats one of the biggest reasons. Also bringing players in with minimal funds is an under-rated attribute, as is knowing the players you have and there limitations and acting upon them. Wortho has not only plucked a kid out of the academy and thrust him straight into the team, he has managed to re-introduce a couple of the younger players who featured earlier in the season and has got rid of a waste of space midfielder and a loanee who never seemed to be trying. Thats quite brave considering that we are not actually safe yet!

Again, Wortho deserves the plaudits for doing the right thing but it bodes well if he is able to see these things and act accordingly.

You know full well I am talking about in mangement. Of course he was a great player who won plenty but that doesnt automatically make someone a great manager. You keep going on about the magnificent job he is doing with Macclesfield but with two games to go they could still go down which is hardly an amazing job.

Far from "going on" I've hardly mentioned Ince and wouldn't have done this morning except for you bringing it up but seeing as you've provoked a reply I am well aware of Macclesfield's position.

But it remains a remarkable achievement by Ince to have even lifted them out of the relegation places at all considering where they were when he started. And if your read the comments of his chairman you'd be in no doubt what he thinks.

But I've not laboured on about Ince because, as with all the other candidates mentioned so far, there are pros and cons to consider.

Ince is by no means the only manager I'd accept in charge of Leicester but none are "great managers" as you mention so Ince being "great" or otherwise hardly comes into it.

People like Shankly, Ferguson, Nicholson, Mourinho, Revie were/are great managers.

And if Ince ever becomes a great manager it is doubtful we'll ever be in a position to employ him so it's now or never.

I don't know how good Ince really is as a boss, but I'd be finding out and if I was happy with what I saw and heard I would look at what he's already achieved in football and be reassured that it provided the foundation and pedigree for him to be our manager and to perhaps even be a great manager.

Whether any of the other potential candidates could ever aspire to greatness I doubt because they have given little indication so far - assuming you accept that people like Vialli and Keegan aren't likely to be in the frame.

So it's a matter of backing judgement. And I'd back Ince as easily as any of the others named.

I heard that when he applied for the wolves job he gave a really good account of himself on his interview highlighting every problem in the team and how he would fix it.

But they wanted a big name manager and went for McCarthy.

Far from "going on" I've hardly mentioned Ince and wouldn't have done this morning except for you bringing it up but seeing as you've provoked a reply I am well aware of Macclesfield's position.

But it remains a remarkable achievement by Ince to have even lifted them out of the relegation places at all considering where they were when he started. And if your read the comments of his chairman you'd be in no doubt what he thinks.

But I've not laboured on about Ince because, as with all the other candidates mentioned so far, there are pros and cons to consider.

Ince is by no means the only manager I'd accept in charge of Leicester but none are "great managers" as you mention so Ince being "great" or otherwise hardly comes into it.

People like Shankly, Ferguson, Nicholson, Mourinho, Revie were/are great managers.

And if Ince ever becomes a great manager it is doubtful we'll ever be in a position to employ him so it's now or never.

I don't know how good Ince really is as a boss, but I'd be finding out and if I was happy with what I saw and heard I would look at what he's already achieved in football and be reassured that it provided the foundation and pedigree to be our manager and to be a great manager.

Whether many of the other potential candidates could ever aspire to greatness I doubt because they have given little indication so far - assuming you accept that people like Vialli and Keegan aren't likely to be in the frame.

So it's a matter of backing judgement. And I'd back Ince as easily as any of the others named.

I wont bother in boring everyone with a rant as to why I dont think Ince should come in as Its been done before but taking on an inexperienced manager again is a risk for a club who has money and needs good players next season. A plus on Ince coming in would be that he must have plenty of contacts around and would arguably be able to bring in some good players but attracting them to the club and actually managing a person/player is only for the unique and personally, Im not sure that he is.

As for the other options, it doesnt have to be a young manager or an old relic, just someone who has achieved success at this level as a bare minimum.

I wont bother in boring everyone with a rant as to why I dont think Ince should come in as Its been done before but taking on an inexperienced manager again is a risk for a club who has money and needs good players next season. A plus on Ince coming in would be that he must have plenty of contacts around and would arguably be able to bring in some good players but attracting them to the club and actually managing a person/player is only for the unique and personally, Im not sure that he is.

As for the other options, it doesnt have to be a young manager or an old relic, just someone who has achieved success at this level as a bare minimum.

If it were your choice and you wanted to limit it in that way, fair enough.

But if it were mine I wouldn't dream of burdening myself with such constraints.

If it were your choice and you wanted to limit it in that way, fair enough.

But if it were mine I wouldn't dream of burdening myself with such constraints.

You have to look at things based upon where you are and what you have. Kelly was a decent choice as someone known to be a very good coach who wanted to step up and he did well last season and many thought deserved a chance. With no cash and little option we took a risk and it backfired. Before that we went for the stereotypical Scottish young thinking manager who came to England and did fook all apart from bring us Kisnorbo for peanuts. Once again he didnt have money to spend and our future wasnt so bright. Now however we will have a few million to spend in the summer and can start raising the bar on standards on the pitch and in the boardroom. We can get better than Ince.

Archived