Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Why Wortho could be the right man for the job...

OK - all of you lot who are pro Wortho..........had Preston scored in the last minute yesterday what would you all be saying then? Teams always look fresh with a new manager. Look at Dowie/Coventry. The dust has settled there now and have since lost a few.

FICKLE FICKLE FICKLE........................up or down Wortho is not the answer.

OK - all of you lot who are pro Wortho..........had Preston scored in the last minute yesterday what would you all be saying then? Teams always look fresh with a new manager. Look at Dowie/Coventry. The dust has settled there now and have since lost a few.

FICKLE FICKLE FICKLE........................up or down Wortho is not the answer.

What manager would you have and why?

Arrrggghhh :mad:

WTF has Coleman ever done????? He got Fulham (with Van der sar, Saha, Finnan Boa Morte etc) to ninth in the league. and they have been slipping ever since!!! This year playing some atrociouly boring football, and nearly getting them relegated!!!

He might come here and be brilliant.. but there is no good evidence for this mass 'Coleman hysteria' on FT!!!???

What do you mean by accomplished? Managed in the Prem?

I wouldn't mind Coleman here. But he doesn't have the experience that Worthington has. Worthington has the added experience of this level and what is required to get us out of it.

Coleman has managed at a higher level than Worthington for longer and more successfully. As Leicester are looking to get promotion within three years I would have thought a Premiership standard manager would be the order of the day. If Mandaric were to appoint someone just because he has managed successfully at Championship level, then why not give the job to Peter Reid. No...I thought not!! A good manager is a good manager at any level.....period.

Coleman has managed at a higher level than Worthington for longer and more successfully. As Leicester are looking to get promotion within three years I would have thought a Premiership standard manager would be the order of the day. If Mandaric were to appoint someone just because he has managed successfully at Championship level, then why not give the job to Peter Reid. No...I thought not!! A good manager is a good manager at any level.....period.

Wait a mo' hasn't Peter Reid got Sunderland to 4th place in his time... so why not him... according to your Coleman rules!!!

There's a number of people on here who keep saying "What if this had happened" "What if that had happened", then using them as reasons to discredit NW. Fact is, that didn't happen, we outplayed and won against the second best home side in the division, having improved steadily throughout the last few matches. I can't believe how against a Championship winning manager some of you are. Coleman, who I initially liked the sound of moreso than Worthington, has nothing to his name as such, but NW has. That's a hard fact, rather than this "what if this had happened" bullshit.

Wait a mo' hasn't Peter Reid got Sunderland to 4th place in his time... so why not him... according to your Coleman rules!!!

You really should read the whole thread Mr. Phube. I am opposing the view that managerial experience should be a pre-requisite to being the next Leicester City manager. Chris Coleman was a suggestion (not original I know) as an alternative to Worthington. And I used Peter Reid because of the derision his name creates in these pages. I also think you'll find that I have defended Reid's record against the most extreme posters. Unfortunatley hoisted by my own petard I fear!!!

Well they would hardly complain at that moment would they? Is that a disguised argument for a club never changing their manager then? Wake up Mr. Lemond.

If I need to wake up then it was the paucity of your argument that sent me to sleep. :rolleyes:

Argue against Wortho if you wish, but not with that tired argument - please. :thumbup:

Instead of arguing against Wortho.......you tell me WHY he is the man for the job ? What has he really done? And don't tell me about getting Norwich promoted etc..........we need someone with real passion.

Fan-fooking-tastic. Not content with using the "it's the same as when RK took over" line, the anti-Wortho brigade are now looking for "real passion" too.

Call me old fashioned, but I value a record of success in this division over fuzzy shit like "passion". :blink:

To use an anti-Wortho approach... "passion" and "fight" were two of the things we thought we saw at QPR when RK took over... :whistle:

Do we really want to go down that route again? :rolleyes::whistle::thumbup:

But that soon went sour, as it will here.

You seem pretty sure about that. Got your crystal cock and balls out? :dunno:

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this before but I wonder whether MM might consider keeping Wortho, but in an 'upstairs' position. I would like to see Coleman come in but also have the support of someone like Wortho who seems to know the league so well. It would also mean the time he spends with the players now, he could use to pass on his knowledge to Coleman. I guess Wortho may got offers elsewhere eventuallly, but it would be great in the short-term i think.

I would say this regarding the way in which some have equated apointing Wortho on a permanent basis as being the same as happened at the end of last season with K*lly... Wortho has a strong record with teams at this level and has a tactical awarness and ability to prepare his teams that has been proven in the past somthing K*lly never had (or was likley to have :rolleyes:), its somthing to consider, I'm not say this because I'm certian Wortho is the "answer" (I'm still worried by his history of opting for "experiance" over "youth", but the inclusion of Mattock and involvment of the academy kids is encouraging) but i just think its worth mentioning.

After three games, Worthington still has a worse record at this stage than both Craig Levein and Rob Kelly.

We should be grateful to him for keeping us up, once our survival is mathematically assured.

But I'm not convinced that he is the way forward for us in the long term. I certainly can't see him building a side ready to challenge for promotion any time soon.

However, those hoping for Chris Coleman are likely to be disappointed. i reckon he'll turn up at Palace at some time in the summer. Taylor is surely on his way out there after failing to produce a decent side with the money he's spent..

You judging him on the 3 games results?

Ignoring the change in players attitude and playing style?

Ignoring his past experience in this division?

You could make an argument (only just) for Worthington pre-Mandaric. But next season, with a fresh start, surely Leicester City Football Club can attract a more experienced, charismatic and high profile manager than him. Ask Blackpool and Norwich fans their opinion of Mr. Worthington after he had been at those clubs longer than 3 games.

Up until the last year I would expect most norwich fans were in favour of worthington, consistent top 6 finishes in the league, nothing to moan about.

The answer is yes, I wanted him with the the played 2 lost 2 record.

The problem here is people want a manager from the premiership even if no championship experience, we not going to get a world class manager we need to be realistic. Worthington is probably about the most suitable manager for the job, defenitly more suitable then coleman.

Taken from http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/1...,,10355,00.html

2000-2004

The summer of 2000 was filled with renewed optimism due to the return to first team action from serious injuries of key players Philip Mulryne and Craig Bellamy. This optimism was short-lived as Craig Bellamy was sold to Coventry City four days after the opening fixture of the new campaign.

Manager Bryan Hamilton's efforts to 'strengthen' the team were in vain as five successive league defeats led to his resignation on 4 December 2000. AssistantManager Nigel Worthington took temporary charge of first team matters. A succession of improved performances followed and Nigel Worthington was appointed the club's sixth manager in six years on 2nd January 2001.

Later in January 2001, Norwich City played host to former boss Martin O'Neill's Celtic in Club Physiotherapist Tim Sheppard's Testimonial match. The match was played in honour of Tim Sheppard's twenty years of service to Norwich City Football Club. The game was evenly contested with Celtic eventually winning 4-2.

April 2001 saw the Club add another trophy to its collection. The Club's Reserve side defeated Reading Reserves 5-3 in a penalty shoot-out (after the match had ended in a 1-1 draw after full-time and extra-time) to win the Avon Insurance League Cup Final at Carrow Road.

Now with a recently-appointed first-team manager and a new chief scout, and with the Club celebrating it's Centenary in 2002, a new chapter in the history of Norwich City Football Club is about to unfold.

The 2001-02 season saw Nigel Worthington complete his first full season in charge of the Club and a new era of optimism arrived at Carrow Road.

A season that will live long in the memory of all connected with the Club hardly started in ideal fashion. After a busy summer in the transfer market with Clint Easton, Mark Rivers, Paul Crichton, Neil Emblen and Marc Libbra joining the Club, Nigel Worthington's new-look Canaries enjoyed a positive pre-season programme. However, when the season kicked off for real they were thrashed 4-0 away to newly promoted Millwall and yet another long season looked on the agenda.

Next up were championship favourites Manchester City at Carrow Road and the Canaries responded to their mauling in the Lions' Den in the best possible way with Marc Libbra capping his debut with a wonder goal to set Norwich on their way to a 2-0 victory.

Those two opening results of the campaign really did set the tone for a roller-coaster ride of a season which ended up with City booking a first ever place in the play-offs on the final day of the season.

There were many highs and lows along the way. Six straight home wins and an overall home record of 15 wins, six draws and two defeats really underpinned City's season. In Robert Green a future England 'keeper looked to be in the making. Gary Holt was simply outstanding in the Canaries' engine room and Adam Drury was becoming one of the best pound-for-pound signings the Club had ever made.

Still, City endured some dark days along the way, including an early exit from the League Cup at Brentford, long-term injuries to Neil Emblen and Zema Abbey as well as further 4-0 reverses away to Preston North End and Birmingham City.

The final day of the season saw the Canaries go into their home game with Stockport County knowing that a better result than rivals Burnley would see them seal that all important 6th spot.Philip Mulryne's 6th goal of the season settled Canary nerves just before the break but then in the second half news that Burnley were also 1-0 up filtered through to Carrow Road. City needed a second goal and with just 15 minutes remaining Malky Mackay's forehead met a Clint Easton cross and Carrow Road erupted as City booked their place in the play-offs.

Wolverhampton Wanderers in a two-legged semi-final stood in between the Canaries and a trip to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium for the play-off final. The Canaries had home advantage for the first leg and despite trailing 1-0 at half-time, they ran out 3-1 winners with that man Mackay heading in a late goal once again.

Nigel Worthington's side produced a great defensive display and despite a late Wolves goal at Molineux in the second leg it was City who were off to Cardiff for a meeting with Birmingham City.

An evenly contested final went into extra-time with nothing to choose between the two sides. It was first blood to City with Iwan Roberts heading them in front but the Blues hit back through Geoff Horsfield and it was down to the dreaded penalty shoot out for a place in the Premiership. Sadly Birmingham won the shoot out 4-2. However, the Cardiff experience was one the Canaries will never forget and was a fitting climax to a season that saw the Club emerge as a serious promotion contender for the first time in many years.

Off the pitch a successful public share issue at the start of 2003-04 helped the Club bridge the gap in finances left buy the collapse of ITV Digital. On the pitch the Club were boosted by Philip Mulryne's decision to sign a new deal with the Canaries. As the season kicked off winning promotion to the Premiership would have to be achieved if City were going to better their achievements of the previous season. Nigel Worthington's side showed no signs of a play-off hangover as they got the 2002-03 season off to a flying start. Sadly injuries to key players and a loss of form in the final third of the season saw City finish 8th in the table.

All in all the 2002-03 campaign didn't reach the heights of the previous year. However, fans certainly took heart from a good run in the FA Cup with ended at the hands of eventual finalists Southampton and the emergence of Academy players Ian Henderson, Dean Sinclair, Jason Shackell and Ryan Jarvis. Indeed Jarvis rewrote the Club record books when he became the Club's youngest ever player - making his debut at Walsall on April 19, 2003 aged 16 years 282 days.

The 2003-04 campaign started indifferently for City who were struggling for goals, particularly away from home, in the opening weeks of the season. However the three-month loan signings of Peter Crouch and Darren Huckerby saw the Canaries fly up the table.

Prior to Christmas, with the Canaries in an automatic promotion place the squad was strengthened by the signing of strikers Leon McKenzie and Mathias Svensson from Peterborough United and Charlton Athletic respectively.

Nigel Worthington's side then topped the table by winning the local derby at Portman Road as McKenzie became an instant hero with a two-goal debut in the 2-0 success over arch-rivals Ipswich Town.

A wonderful festive period was capped off by the permanent signing of Huckerby and wins over Nottingham Forest and Derby County.

As 2004 unfolded the Canaries continued to lead the table with the inspirational Huckerby appearing to be at the heart of everything. An amazing end to the season saw the Canaries win eight of their last nine league fixtures and seal not only a return to the Premiership but also the First Division title after ending the campaign eight points clear of their nearest rival.

On a truly memorable evening in Norwich City centre, a crowd estimated to be over 50,000 gathered to see Captain Adam Drury hold aloft the First Division championship trophy at City Hall before the team toured the City centre on an open topped bus.

With the new Jarrold Stand now open and work underway on an infil between the Jarrold and Norwich & Peterborough stands, Carrow Road and the Canaries are gearing up for an exciting 2004-05 season.

2004-05

After a nine year absence Norwich City made a welcome return to the Premiership for the 2004-05 campaign. Pre-season had seen the Club travel to Malaysia with main sponsors Proton and Lotus Cars for a two-match first team tour and Football in the Community coaching programme.

Nigel Worthington made a number of changes to his City squad over the summer as he looked to create a team capable of competing in the top flight.

The Club said a fond farewell to two popular figures in Iwan Roberts and Malky Mackay, but there was a return to Carrow Road for former player Dave Williams as Academy Technical Director.

With the departure of Paul Crichton, Scottish International goalkeeper Paul Gallacher joined on a free transfer from Dundee United and Darren Ward on a two-year deal from Nottingham Forest. Academy 'keeper Joe Lewis was to also sign his first professional contract in the October following his 17th birthday.

Other additions were experienced Danish Captain Thomas Helveg signed on a free, Bolton midfielder Simon Charlton and Swedish International Mathias Jonson. England U21 and Arsenal starlet David Bentley arrived on a year-long loan and Graham Stuart was also to join the Canaries in January until the end of the season.

This year would also see the Club saying goodbye to President Geoffrey Watling who passed away in the November. His long association with Norwich City Football Club began in February 1957 when he was elected as Chairman of the Club at an Extraordinary General Meeting following the resignation of the entire previous Board of Directors. He saved the Club on several occasions from financial ruin including in 1996 after the departure of Robert Chase. After resigning his position before the start of the 1973-74 season and serving as Vice-Chairman until November 1985 he then became Club President, a position he proudly held until his death.

And it was fitting that the team registered their first Premiership win on the weekend after this sad news. Norwich came from a goal behind to win 2-1 against Southampton. The start to the campaign was a difficult one with the Canaries registering nine draws and nine losses, with only two wins during the pre-New Year period.

In January City broke their transfer record by bringing Crewe striker Dean Ashton to Carrow Road for £3million. The England U21 player made his debut in a disappointing 3-0 display at Aston Villa. However, his home debut was to prove one of the most memorable matches of the season and potentially Canary history.

With just 12 minutes left on the clock and 4-1 down the Canaries were to battle back to salvage an unlikely 4-4 draw against Middlesbrough with both Ashton and Adam Drury netting their first Premiership goals.

The first part of 2005 was to continue to highlight the toughness of the top league with only two Canary wins in 11 matches. A 4-1 defeat at Highbury, which saw an inspired Premiership top scorer Thierry Henry put a hat-trick past City did not look good preparation for the visit of Manchester United to Carrow Road.

However, goals from Dean Ashton and Leon McKenzie saw Norwich to victory over the Premiership giants, their first loss in the League in 21 games. It was also to spark a grandstand finish to the Canaries season, which would see the Club battle hard to gain control of their Premiership destiny.

Victories over Newcastle, Charlton and Birmingham and a draw with fellow relegation candidates Crystal Palace left the Canaries in 17th place and one point above the drop-zone. This meant for the last game of the season a first away win at Fulham would see City avoid relegation back to the Championship.

Unfortunately for the 6,000 plus Canary fans who made the trip to Craven Cottage the battling performances of late were far from evident as City were on the wrong side of a six-goal drubbing which saw them relegated.

The next day saw a star-studded benefit match at Carrow Road for former player Alex Notman, whose career was prematurely ended by injury in November 2003 after failing to recover from a persistent ankle ligament injury suffered against Ipswich Town the previous season. City stars were joined by a number of Manchester United players - the club where Alex joined the Canaries from - including Louis Saha and Tim Howard

The answer is yes, I wanted him with the the played 2 lost 2 record.

The problem here is people want a manager from the premiership even if no championship experience, we not going to get a world class manager we need to be realistic. Worthington is probably about the most suitable manager for the job, defenitly more suitable then coleman.

So when we get to the prem we will have a championship manager who knows how to get relegated !!!

greanted - Coleman's not the answer either.

My question is if NW does stay and has to work with these players (almost same as CL & RK) what would he achieve?

We may never know as we are all expecting some funds for a squad transformation. And therefore if NW stays or any other new manager comes in they will be in a far better position than any manager since the dreadful PT.

Archived