Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

For Hume the bell doesn't toll

Great to see Humey bag his 14th goal of the season yesterday.

Even though not to my mind an out-and-out striker I'll happily forgive him for being one under my required minimum for a centre-forward because he really did have to cope with rank poor service.

That makes his 14-goal total even more remarkable - as does the fact that, in athletics terms, he lapped his nearest striking rivals by two and a third times or more.

Not only that but Hume was the one attacker who I believed gave an entire season of wholehearted effort. He clocked up 44 games, and scoring once in three is about on target for a 15 goal season anyway. Never once did I see him looking sorry for himself or quitting the fray, even against Wolves.

We need a clubful with attitudes like his next season. And what a great example for the youngsters he set.

Even though not to my mind an out-and-out striker I'll happily forgive him for being one under my required minimum for a centre-forward because he really did have to cope with rank poor service.

That makes his 14-goal total even more remarkable - as does the fact that, in athletics terms, he lapped his nearest striking rivals by two and a third times or more.

Not only that but Hume was the one attacker who I believed gave an entire season of wholehearted effort. He clocked up 44 games, and scoring once in three is about on target for a 15 goal season anyway. Never once did I see him looking sorry for himself or quitting the fray, even against Wolves.

We need a clubful with attitudes like his next season. And what a great example for the youngsters he set.

I took a boro fan with me yesterday, he came away and said Hume was fantastic. And he has been. Works hard every game, win or lose :thumbup:

Ive said it a million times but Hume could eb a huge player if he gets more support from midfield and a better strike partner. He could easily be a 20 goal a season striker if he has good players around him. Lets hope we dont get let down with pants players this summer, Im sure we wont be. :unsure:

Hume has received a bit of stick on here lately with some people suggesting he gets away with being sub-standard purely because he runs around a lot.

I've always liked the player and let's face it, in a team with little or no midfield service all season, a shocking overall goals tally and a 19th place finish I think Hume deserves a lot of credit for his contribution, both in terms of goals scored and general performances.

I see a place for him in the team next season. In an attacking line up I'd like to see him play behind the front two. He enjoys dropping deeper to seek out the ball and I would expect him to at least equal the 14 he scored this season, particularly with a strengthened team playing with him.

I'm not saying he's premiership quality or that he'll be a crucial element of the team for next season but he deserves credit and also a chance to prove himself in a team with some new faces in it.

Just my view.

He looks/plays very similar to Kighly (sp) who seemed to be primarily out wide but with the freedom to come inside and move upfront as and when the game dictated it. Maybe that's where/how Hume should be managed

Hume has received a bit of stick on here lately with some people suggesting he gets away with being sub-standard purely because he runs around a lot.

I've always liked the player and let's face it, in a team with little or no midfield service all season, a shocking overall goals tally and a 19th place finish I think Hume deserves a lot of credit for his contribution, both in terms of goals scored and general performances.

I see a place for him in the team next season. In an attacking line up I'd like to see him play behind the front two. He enjoys dropping deeper to seek out the ball and I would expect him to at least equal the 14 he scored this season, particularly with a strengthened team playing with him.

I'm not saying he's premiership quality or that he'll be a crucial element of the team for next season but he deserves credit and also a chance to prove himself in a team with some new faces in it.

Just my view.

It may be just your view but it's pretty much bang on the money. :thumbup:

In a lethargic side, Hume's energy this season has been so important. He's got more ability than some people are willing to give him credit for. Some of the first time control from high balls this season has been extraordinary. His free kicks are abysmal though. There must be someone worthy of a first-team spot who can belt a free kick instead of just dollying it up for the keeper every time.

It'd be nice to see what Hume would be capable of with a player to do the dirty work for him up front. This season he has had to act as the main targetman as well as the one you ideally want on the end of the knockdowns! It's been crazy. We also need midfielders who he feels he can rely on to do their job and a manager who disciplines him enough to make sure he doesn't try to do it all on his own if we do have better options next season.

Quite scary to think where we would be if Hume was injured for any length of time. There was a time this season where I think he scored only 1 in 18? Anyhow, he's been the only player that's presented the opposition with any problems.

He is a little frustrating though. He has got a good leap on him, but tends to jump too early - most of his headers don't really lead to anything either. Kelly's fault though for his team selection and instructions to hoof the ball to him.

A lot of people have mentioned that he's not an out and out striker, which I agree with. He's not convincing in front of goal and tends to miss some easy chances. Look at the goals he scored this season - more spectacular than tap-ins, which is indicative of where he spends most of his time in general play.

I've said for a while he should be played on the right, a position he played for Tranmere often. Unfortunately, we've not had anyone who could replace his goals upfront - hopefully someone like Todorov could allow us to do this next season.

Hume was one of our best players out there on Sunday, but he also wasted a few chances.

All in all, he was all over the place (at one point he chased down a Wolves player in Tiatto's place).

Yes, he lacks proper support. The long ball theory doesn't apply to him (same goes for Fryatt).

I spoke to Hume on Sunday and - albeit he played in that position at Tranmere before - he still sees himself as a true striker, as opposed to me wanting to place him BEHIND the strikers, as an additional scoring threat.

Hume is a a good player, there's no doubting it. Some of the criticisms he's had are justified though. He pops up all over the pitch, in defence, ESPECIALLY in midfield, and is often absent from the attack just as a counter-attack begins. At Barnsley, Hume set up Fryatt's goal (not his exactly, but you know the one I mean) with a long ball from defence. Sure we got a goal out of it, but what was he doing there? As a counter-attack begins he should be supporting another striker who leads the line.

He's in midfield more often than half of our midfielders.

That's why I think he needs to change and focus his game a bit to be an even more effective player than he is now. I'd play him in attacking midfield, personally, but there's no reason he can't be even beter up front if he doesn't chase the ball around and sticks to the top end of the pitch.

23 years old, though. He should get better with age and experience, and I hope he's with us for years.

At Barnsley, Hume set up Fryatt's goal (not his exactly, but you know the one I mean) with a long ball from defence. Sure we got a goal out of it, but what was he doing there?

I'm sure it was Newton with the long ball.

I'm sure it was Newton with the long ball.

Can someone check? Because I was 98% sure but now I'm not. :/

Still pretty sure, though, because I shouted "What's he doing there!" and then he set up the goal.

Can someone check? Because I was 98% sure but now I'm not. :/

Still pretty sure, though, because I shouted "What's he doing there!" and then he set up the goal.

I'm 99.9% sure Scoweh was right... Newton's long ball was the assisting pass. ;)

A quick look at the highlights confirms this fact... Newton picked the ball up on the right, pushed towards the middle then wellied the ball up the field to the onrushing Fryatt, and the rest as they say, is history. :thumbup:

Newtonkick.png

Ah, I'm thinking of a different long ball to Fryatt, then, since I was talking about a pass from just to the left of Logan from his perspective, not far outside the 18 yard box. Cheers.

Ignore me. :unsure:

Point remains, though.

Hume is a a good player, there's no doubting it. Some of the criticisms he's had are justified though. He pops up all over the pitch, in defence, ESPECIALLY in midfield, and is often absent from the attack just as a counter-attack begins. At Barnsley, Hume set up Fryatt's goal (not his exactly, but you know the one I mean) with a long ball from defence. Sure we got a goal out of it, but what was he doing there? As a counter-attack begins he should be supporting another striker who leads the line.

He's in midfield more often than half of our midfielders.

That's why I think he needs to change and focus his game a bit to be an even more effective player than he is now. I'd play him in attacking midfield, personally, but there's no reason he can't be even beter up front if he doesn't chase the ball around and sticks to the top end of the pitch.

23 years old, though. He should get better with age and experience, and I hope he's with us for years.

Thats says more about our midfield than it does about Hume, doesnt it!! He's not an out-and-out striker and he likes to drop back, but sometimes he drops back way too deep which means there's no one up-front when we have a counter attack or something.

Its not his fault though that our midfield is a bag of wank.

Hume is the only player in the squad who I would be sad to see leave over the summer.

sadly all too true ; my list would not be much longer , kisnorbo hume and then i'm struggling :dunno:

yeah

the best of a bad bunch

but who do you play him with?

can he play in a promotion chasing team?

i'd like to think so but am unsure

i think that we need a top quality striker to bring out the best in him and fryatt. to keep them on their toes and get better performances out of them.

hume is good but i wouldnt bank on him as being the answer for next season

Archived