Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Favourite

Where's Davie Gibson FFS?

From OS

<Choose Your Favourite City Legend

Posted on: Wed 20 Jun 2007

As part of it's Centenary Year, The Professional Footballers Association is putting together a list of the top 100 players who have played professional football over the last 100 years.

One player will be selected from each of the 100 professional clubs to have played in the Football League throughout the last 100 years.

To help fans vote the PFA, together with the football clubs and a panel of sports journalists, have put together a top ten list for each club.

Your job is to vote for your favourite player from the list. The winning player will go into the PFA Centenary Hall of Fame.

Remember we're looking for the greatest player to have played for Leicester City over the last 100 years so you may have to dig out your history books!

Use the poll below to vote for your favourite Leicester City Legend from this shortlist:

Gordon Banks

Adam Black

Arthur Chandler

Graham Cross

Muzzy Izzet

Gary Lineker

Arthur Rowley

Sep Smith

Steve Walsh

Keith Weller

Voting closes Wednesday 4 July 2007.

Current Status on the OS

Selection Votes

Gordon BanksBluebar.gif 8%58

Adam BlackBluebar.gif 0%2

Arthur ChandlerBluebar.gif 2%12

Graham CrossBluebar.gif 1%4

Muzzy IzzetBluebar.gif 15%106

Gary LinekerBluebar.gif 20%144

Arthur RowleyBluebar.gif 4%31

Sep SmithBluebar.gif 2%12

Steve WalshBluebar.gif 31%227

Keith WellerBluebar.gif 18%128

invisible.gifinvisible.gifinvisible.gif 724 votes total

Current Status on the OS

Selection Votes

Gordon BanksBluebar.gif 8%58

Adam BlackBluebar.gif 0%2

Arthur ChandlerBluebar.gif 2%12

Graham CrossBluebar.gif 1%4

Muzzy IzzetBluebar.gif 15%106

Gary LinekerBluebar.gif 20%144

Arthur RowleyBluebar.gif 4%31

Sep SmithBluebar.gif 2%12

Steve WalshBluebar.gif 31%227

Keith WellerBluebar.gif 18%128

invisible.gifinvisible.gifinvisible.gif724 votes total

I don't like these polls. I find that no-one should come close to Arthur Rowley or Arthur Chandler, but with hardly anyone (of today's Leicester fans*) having experienced them, they don't stand a chance against the contemporary 'legends' like Izzet and Walsh....

*edited

Not sure how to answer this one.

The poll asks for the greatest player to have played for city - my guess is either Banks or Lineker were the better players who achieved the most in their careers but both moved on and did not play at the height of their careers whilst at Leicester.

To be a legend is a different matter - Legend status can be gained not by being the best player but by how much the fans love you. For me that would be Walsh - All action figure, Defender turned striker, goals in the play off final against Derby. Took no messing, went a few rounds with Steve Bull. Gave 100% for the team and he stayed with city for 10 years(?) instead of moving on to a bigger club. He didnt have the ability of a Banks or Lineker but I think he is the bigger Legend.

Not sure how to answer this one.

The poll asks for the greatest player to have played for city - my guess is either Banks or Lineker were the better players who achieved the most in their careers but both moved on and did not play at the height of their careers whilst at Leicester.

To be a legend is a different matter - Legend status can be gained not by being the best player but by how much the fans love you. For me that would be Walsh - All action figure, Defender turned striker, goals in the play off final against Derby. Took no messing, went a few rounds with Steve Bull. Gave 100% for the team and he stayed with city for 10 years(?) instead of moving on to a bigger club. He didnt have the ability of a Banks or Lineker but I think he is the bigger Legend.

Banks was playing for us when he won his World Cup Medal, you don't get many higher peaks than that, especially as he moved to Stoke and achieved very little domestically.

The Best 'footballer' in my time was Davie Gibson and he's not even on the list. :angry:

But I agree interpretation of what is wanted and people having watched different eras makes it difficult.

I'd have gone for the Doug...never saw him live (too young) until his testimonial season with Wolves. Loved his work.

Seeing as he isn't there I'd have to go for Links - not because of his on-field antics...as all I ever remember him doing was hitting the roof of the double decker stand from 6 yards in front of an open goal...but for the efforts he put into saving the club.

Links lives and breathes the City of Leicester.

I don't like these polls. I find that no-one should come close to Arthur Rowley or Arthur Chandler, but with hardly anyone (of today's Leicester fans*) having experienced them, they don't stand a chance against the contemporary 'legends' like Izzet and Walsh....

*edited

spot on...... Arthur Rowley 'today' would be like Henry for Arsenal!

I'm going for walsh for one reason only, he lifted the first cup at wembley as a lcfc player, closely ran by Arthur Rowley and G. Banks who should be OBE

Seeing as most people on here, myself included, have never seen him play and therefore has no chance, I've voted for Arthur Rowley. We don't have many record holders at Leicester.

George Arthur Rowley, (April 21, 1926 – December 19, 2002), was an English football player. He holds the record for the greatest number of career goals in The Football League, 434 from 619 games.

Seeing as most people on here, myself included, have never seen him play and therefore has no chance, I've voted for Arthur Rowley. We don't have many record holders at Leicester.

George Arthur Rowley, (April 21, 1926 – December 19, 2002), was an English football player. He holds the record for the greatest number of career goals in The Football League, 434 from 619 games.

that is fantastic 434 from 619 games Martin Allen should show that stat to all the forwards before the first game!

i'm disappointed there's no G.Coatsworth, that fella ended his career helping get us into the premier league for the first time, he had tommy johnson running scared that day! i'm also a big fan or garry parker, majestic passer.

lineker then i suppose :angry: ( :thumbup: )

It's got to be Gordon Banks. :worship:

One of the best goalkeeper's ever.

A Leicester City legend and as far as I know the only city player ever to have won a world cup winners medal.

None of the other nominees can match that.

Archived