Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
mark1983

Partick thistle match

Well Done the lads.

Importantly we keep a clean sheet with the defence that I think will start the season and more importantly they have all got another run-out as they attempt to gain match fitness.

Lets hope Sheehans injury isnt a serious one too....

Correct me if im wrong but the defence have only let in 1 goal all pre-season. 5 games. Yes, against the likes of Oadby but it still sounds good.

Correct me if im wrong but the defence have only let in 1 goal all pre-season. 5 games. Yes, against the likes of Oadby but it still sounds good.

Not only have they stopped opponents scoring but, having watched the Leicestershire friendlies and read the Partick report, I don't think they've offered many chances in all the matches put together.

There are so many good aspects that could be mentioned but I cannot help but think N'Gotty's calm, pass-quickly-smply-and support approach has helped so much to bond the unit effectively.,

He doesn't just make his pass but always seems to move and offer an effective out ball if his teammate gets blocked in. The guy's impressed no end.

Martin Allen +1 for a decent away win and +0.5 for effective work on defensive strategies in training and showing faith in Odhiambo (+18 total).

Its a decent sign alright but more important than the results are the fact that they are playing together as a unit. :thumbup:

Just noticed the key move by Martin Allen (thanks to a TB poster):

"Manager Allen made three changes on at half time - James Wesolowski, Odhiambo and Shaun Newton replacing Radostin Kishishev and Bruno N'Gotty."

No wonder we got on top! :D :D

Decent result, good to see Odhiambo and Weso getting involved in the goals. Its great to see Weso being a little more attack minded than he was under Kelly. I'm hoping that MA hasn't set in stone that Clemence and Kisi will play together as I really think Weso may offer us something different in that position, and I'd like to see him start against Kilmarnock. If he wasnt such a 4-4-2 man I'd even say he should consider playing 3-5-2 to accommodate all three of them!

Where are the minus points for not including Porter and Hammond, accorinding to you Porter has been on fire so why the continual plus points?

I mentioned earlier my concern about us not picking a creative midfielder like Weso, Porter or Andy King from the start because we would struggle to score goals. It was 0-0 at half-time and the report hardly suggested we peppered the Partick goal.

Weso did come on in the second half, we scored two goals to win the match and he got one of them.

Porter's been on the winning side twice out of two, played fine, and has looked good in training. But he's experiencing what I expected - a lot of competition for places and particularly from Weso in the centre. On performance so far I wouldn't have picked Porter ahead of Weso.

Hammond has been okay - but no more so at this stage than Hume, Odhiambo, MDV and Fryatt (in that order based on goals and assists).

With DJC in the wings too that already represents much increased competition for Hammond and I doubt, on balance, that I would have picked him any more than MA.

As mentioned previously, the bar is being raised. Hammond remains a fast and dangerous player but with Odhiambo being a natural striker and Fryatt seemingly back in favour he may be climbing an icy slope in steel-soled shoes.

So far so good, 5 out of 5 keeps the momentum going.

Be interesting to see what happens when we start to play classier teams though, be interesting to see how we play under pressure.

Let's face it the teams we've played so far are hardly top rate.

Nice to see him play Henderson though, still think he's probably our best keeper at the moment.

As mentioned previously, the bar is being raised. Hammond remains a fast and dangerous player but with Odhiambo being a natural striker and Fryatt seemingly back in favour he may be climbing an icy slope in steel-soled shoes.

He's being sliding down said slope on his arse for a good few years now.

Decent result, good to see Odhiambo and Weso getting involved in the goals. Its great to see Weso being a little more attack minded than he was under Kelly. I'm hoping that MA hasn't set in stone that Clemence and Kisi will play together as I really think Weso may offer us something different in that position, and I'd like to see him start against Kilmarnock. If he wasnt such a 4-4-2 man I'd even say he should consider playing 3-5-2 to accommodate all three of them!

What a contrast to last season having problems like this considering we hardly had a midfielder worthy of the name last season - at least until Weso got himself more fully recovered towards the end.

Suddenly we have riches galore when you consider:

Ka'ebi, Clemence, Weso, Kishishev, Porter

compared with

Hughes, Johnson, Tiatto, Jarrett etc.

Not that I'd find it easy to choose between our current five.

And I don't think MA will. He'll use them all.

What a contrast to last season having problems like this considering we hardly had a midfielder worthy of the name last season - at least until Weso got himself more fully recovered towards the end.

compared with

Bloody hell! Gonna cause big problems for Radio Leicester, the first match they comment on they'll be scrambling for the team sheets.

Still probably just say "and the balls gone to a blue shirt" :rolleyes:

Posted by a Partick Thistle fan on another forum:

"Well yous won 2-0 tonight in a fairly entertaining friendly at Firhill

I'd be daft to claim it was an even game and although we created a few decent chances and kept Leicester away for most of the game, there was a clear difference in quality and you felt Leicester could up the tempo if needed.

Was very impressed by your left back, No3, looked young but was class. Matty Fryatt was fairly dirty for a friendly however and Martin Allen was forced to bring him off after a cynical foul on our young midfielder Ryan McStay

Anyway, good luck in the Championship, I think you may have a good season on the cards"

compared with

im really glad u stated this because it has made my day and made me realise how much better we are now then we were last season :clap: im really looking forward to next season and yet another win under the belts will do them no end of good. suprised no one else has metioned stearmans perfermance sound like the lad has really got his arse in gear again, sounds like he made quite a few saving challenges tonight good on him i say! hes a good player undeer the right management its such a shame Kelly left him to rot because he could have helped us alot last season if he was given a fair chance!!!

Good result. Wesolowski - going to be a rock in midfield :thumbup: With Odhiambo, Allen is doing a good job breaking him in.

I'm very confident with the players now. Would anyone know if Henderson had a good game? :thumbup:

Archived