Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Album that grew on you?

I'm really discovering REM, having just finished purchasing all of their albums, and what a phenomenal band.

However, I bought Document about 12 years ago and used to hate it, having not listened to it for about 8 years. However, listening to it yesterday made me think "Wow, what an amazing and different album and not their most easily listenable, but quite experimental, especially with the lyrics"

What other albums do people think like this??

I've had a few of them like that. After seeing Black Rebel live for the first time in '02, I owned their album for months and months, maybe even a year or two before I really realised exactly HOW much I loved them.

RATM - Evil Empire was another one. Don't get me wrong, I'd always loved Rage, but despite the fact Evil Empire was the first album of theirs I owned - I used to listen to the self titled pretty much on repeat for eons when I was about fifteen. :D

Only in the last couple of years did I clock that Evil Empire was by far their best work and probably one of the best rock albums ever made.

I'm really discovering REM, having just finished purchasing all of their albums, and what a phenomenal band.

However, I bought Document about 12 years ago and used to hate it, having not listened to it for about 8 years. However, listening to it yesterday made me think "Wow, what an amazing and different album and not their most easily listenable, but quite experimental, especially with the lyrics"

What other albums do people think like this??

REM took a long time to grow on me too. 80's REM > 90's REM imo. 13 by Blur was one of the first albums I ever bought and I only really appreciate it now.

"In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" has grown on me without me noticing. It's a bit weird. After about three listens I thought it was a pretty decent accoustic-based album with slightly folky influences that was a bit samey in parts. Suddenly I realised (today, as it happens) that its become my favourite album of all time over the last 3 months. It's absolutely superb in so many ways. A bit wet, mind.

I could write about it for ages and ages but I'd start to sound even more wanky than I already have if I went on about lyrical themes and the like.

Pitchfork are good at being wanky though.

Unless that album was With Love And Squalor by The We Are Scientists, in which case your quality of life would be immeasurably improved.

That has to be one of the albums that has grew on me most, especially sicne seeing them live.

Also the automatics album.

When I was at school in the late 80's, loads of kids were into U2 and Simple Minds. I tried not to like the Joshua Tree because everyone else liked it, but I couldn't resist. However, I really wasn't keen on U2's early stuff like October, Boy & War. Now I love Boy (& the others!) & it's on in my car quite a bit these days.

When I was at school in the late 80's, loads of kids were into U2 and Simple Minds. I tried not to like the Joshua Tree because everyone else liked it, but I couldn't resist. However, I really wasn't keen on U2's early stuff like October, Boy & War. Now I love Boy (& the others!) & it's on in my car quite a bit these days.

Cool, I think those early 3 albums are amazing.

As for Simple Minds, they're a better band than the Stadium Rock stuff of Alive and Kicking. Try the following albums, which were innovative for their time, good post-punk stuff:-

Sons and Fascination/Sisters Feelings Call

Empires and Dance

Reel to Reel Cacophony

Cool, I think those early 3 albums are amazing.

As for Simple Minds, they're a better band than the Stadium Rock stuff of Alive and Kicking. Try the following albums, which were innovative for their time, good post-punk stuff:-

Sons and Fascination/Sisters Feelings Call

Empires and Dance

Reel to Reel Cacophony

Too right :thumbup:

...and they won't think I'm homosexual right?

Nah, they'll just think you're in touch with your feminine side. You're onto a winner there! :thumbup::unsure::whistle:

Archived