Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

Championship Promotion Contenders

Going UP?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your 3? Then why!

• Bristol City
    • Burnley
    • Cardiff City
    • Charlton Athletic
    • Coventry City
    • Crystal Palace
    • Hull City
    • Ipswich Town
    • Leicester City
    • Norwich City
    • Plymouth Argyle
    • Preston North End
    • Sheffield United
    • Sheffield Wednesday
    • Southampton
    • Stoke City
    • Watford
    • West Bromwich Albion
    • Wolverhampton Wanderers
    • Barnsley / Blackpool / Colchester / Q P R / Sc*unthorpe

Really not been all that impressed by Southampton's transfer, they'll be there or thereabouts but certainly no better than us. Really fancy West Brom- think Mowbray's made some astute signings. And Charlton, Wolves and Watford will be there too. Sheffield United will crash and burn under Brian Robson. Ourselves and Sheffield Wednesday to be the surprises.

So:

1. West Brom

2. Wolves

3. Charlton

4. Watford

5. Leicester

6. Sheff Wed P

Difficult to pick a play-off team, but probably fancy Sheff Wed to win through in the play-offs- not sure why :dunno:

1. Charlton

2. Wolves

3. Southampton/Leicester

I chose southampton for my third choice buit was debating with leicester to myself. Now i'm thinking Leicester would be a better possibility than southampton. Charlton because i've been impresed with their sigings and wolves simply because all their fans seem very optimistic and have good odds i think :blink:

Charlton, Wolves and us :rolleyes:

Charlton - Added some good players to their squad and have a very capable strikeforce. Managed by a very talented manager IMO.

Wolves - Have had a few good seasons now and I reckon this year will be their really big push for play offs. With the additions of eastwood and elliott up front, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Us - I fancy us to sneak 6th place and maybe win the playoffs :dunno: Who knows?? We have a much bigger squad than previous years and its seems alot more quality. A better structure within the club itself with a lot of ambition. Can only lead to one thing surely? :blink:

Who is your 3 for Promotion this Season from the Championship?

i think that sheff utd , the mighty foxes and charlton are the most obvious choices but are the wise ones aswel due to the amount of money and backing throughout each club :whistle:

I expect Wolves to be up there along with Sheff Utd who have managed to keep most of there better players and added a few decent ones at this level and then the likes of Charlton, Sheff Weds, WBA and us will be fighting for the play-offs IMO. Its strange but the more I look at the cack in this division and the better players constantly leaving from good and the average clubs, the more confident I become. Time to get a dose of reality lol

I am interested to read who people rate and their reasons why.

I went for:

1. Charlton - strong squad, have lost Bent but Toddy and Varney should be able to do a job at this level.

2. Wolves - Very strong attacking team and have added to that. More money to spend as well.

3. Leicester - Gotta support the boys :thumbup:

Southampton - They will miss Bale, baird and best. Done well to secure Saga but they have major finance problems and might have to sell more players. Massive board room disputes cant do the club any good either. Burley might not hang around for too long and then they are buggered. I think they will struggle.

WBA - Sold Koumas, Kamara and McShane. Too much quality has gone and not been replaced. Lost the parachute payments so are going to struggle financially to cope. Wont be the force they were last year.

Sheff Utd - I am relying on Robson being crap and not having a clue. Think their tactics will be poor. The club is very bitter about the Tevez affair and they still seem distracted with courts instead of concentrating on the season. Davis and Jagielka will be a big loss - not sure Hendrie can fill his boots. Sharp is a good signing. Losing Warnock will also have an effect.

Preston - relied on Nugent too much, hes not been replaced so mid table.

Norwich - Cureton is not Earnshaw and they only were midtable with him. Not going to be a contender.

Cardiff - could be up there if Fowler has a good season, Chopra was excellent for them last year his goals were vital. Can Robbie get them??? Strengthen throughout the side could be a top six finish.

Watford - Only scored 29 goals last season. Henderson and Bouazza seem to be on the way out. Cant say they impress me with their squad and feel they might struggle.

I think this season we have got many things going for us. New owner and Manager, New squad with some quality for once. I think MA's positive approach will set the team up like MON did. Personally I didnt want leicester to go up this year as I think it is a season too early and we could do with more time and more strength in the squad. But I think some of the other contenders have lost too many key players, have financial issues, management / board issues and they are in a far weaker position than they were last year.

Just my view but I believe we are in with a chance this year. :thumbup:

Charlton - Good squad plus spare cash to make changes if required

Wolves - Just got a feeling

Watford - Been up and down kept the squad a bit like us in our keep the faith year without the money troubles

We could make the play offs' but thats my 3

Alot of fans are backing us and rightfully so as we do have a really good side this season but how many times have we been tipped as favourites and then failed. So i wont be shouting from the roof tops just yet.

That said my 3 teams to go up are Charlton, Wolves and Watford.

My 3 teams that alot of fans seem to say will do well but im my eyes will not do very well are West Brom ( might make the play offs at best) Preston (will only just make the top half) and Sheff Wed (will finish bottom half next season) as their fans really do not rate their side and are predicting a struggle

I reckon it will be Charlotn that will lead the way with Sheff utd coming a close secone because the team they have will be too strong for most others... They have managed to keep most of the top players plus adding the likes of Billy Sharp I just feel they will do it... I'm ont sure about the play-offs yet... We could possibly do it but I would prefer not this season to be honest... I would rather wait til next season... my tip is sheff wed and a massive punch-up in sheffield the day after the play-off final because the open-top buses collide :thumbup:

Does anyone else think that with all the Premiership money about and all the Championships better players leaving that this division will be the weakest for ages???!! The selling hasnt stopped either with Bouazza looking likely to leave Watford and rumours that players like Curtis Davies at WBA are on their way.

Charlton, Wolves & Sheffield United

I think those 3 will be up there. It's always hard to tell who will get in to and win the Play-offs. But looking at squads, these 3 have some quality players. As do West Brom but I think they'll have a fairly mixed season.

Sheffield United have some quality players, it's just whether Robson can get them playing. He's a coont and useless, but with that squad even he should be able to get them up near the top 6.

Even so I don't think he'll take them up, he had a similar situation at the Baggies.

I think they will be there or thereabouts. It all comes down to the slightest thing like one goal separating Derby from a WBA side that was superior on the day in Cardiff.

And anyway, there's nothing to say that Robson wouldn't have managed to sort them out if he hadn't have got sacked - in the same way that Bruce did at Birmingham.

My beef is with people who say he's "useless". He might not be the best manager in the league but there's not an awful lot of proven talent in this division managerially.

How many teams are stronger this season than last? In my opinion only Wolves, Leicester and maybe Coventry have improved their squads.

Charlton - Will be up their. Good squad of players who know the division.

Watford - Selling their best players but will make the playoffs.

Sheffield United - I honestly have no idea how SU are going to do. They're either going to do well or do what City, Southampton and Norwich did.

West Brom - Weaker imo. Sold a lot of quality and haven't replaced it. Will be in playoffs again but aren't as formidable last year. They had one of the best squads along with Birmingham and should have gone up.

Wolves - Stronger. Will be in the top two.

Southampton - Weaker. Have lost some important players and the boardroom situation could be a major problem for them. Expect them to sort themselves out for the start of 08/09 though.

Preston - Weaker but I think that even without Nugent they will still make the top eight.

Stoke - Weaker. Had a lot of good loan signings last year and they haven't been able to attract similar quality this year. Good manager but I can't see them making the playoffs this year.

Sheffield Wednesday - Started to look very good last season. If they keep key players they could be the suprise team this season. The Brunt situation is not looking good for them though.

Colchester - Weaker. Lost a good strike partnership and are having an awful pre-season. Bottom half of the table for me.

Leicester - Stronger. Somewhere in the top eight.

Norwich - Weaker. Lost important players. Not sure about the quality of their manager.

Coventry - Stronger. Bought some reasonable players but would do well to break into the top ten.

I think they will be there or thereabouts. It all comes down to the slightest thing like one goal separating Derby from a WBA side that was superior on the day in Cardiff.

And anyway, there's nothing to say that Robson wouldn't have managed to sort them out if he hadn't have got sacked - in the same way that Bruce did at Birmingham.

My beef is with people who say he's "useless". He might not be the best manager in the league but there's not an awful lot of proven talent in this division managerially.

Useless is way over the top obviously, I don't think he's a paticularly good manager but then he is the only manager ever to keep a team up that were bottom at Christmas.

Archived