Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Lad

Kenton In The 16

Gaffer Talks

Good morning,

Our match against Cambridge on Monday night was a game that certain people needed. It was good to see some more young players playing. I knew that Cambridge would be very well organised, with Jimmy, and I know how competitive all the lads are at that level.

The first half was not the best. You cannot go to those places and just try and play nice football. You have to compete. In the second half we played higher up the field with much more urgency. We could have had a lot of goals. It was a much better second half performance after what you would have to say was an average first half, if that.

Darren Kenton was the outstanding player on the night, without a shadow of a doubt. He was outstanding. He showed commitment, energy and attitude. That's why I took him off - I am going to add him to the squad now for our game at the weekend. You cannot ignore people when they put in good performances and show that type of attitude. Fair play to him. He gave everything he had and more on the night.

We didn't pick up any knocks from the game. Kaebi had a fitness test on Monday morning and he's not quite right. He is settling in and he has learnt a little bit more English. He says hello and goodbye now, rather than good and not so good, for want of another word. There is no rush for him. He will have to take his time. We have got the interpreter with us and he has started his English lessons. He has got all the other bits and pieces sorted out - a place to live, a bank account, a telephone, a car - all these things that you have to do. I have an excellent back up support team behind me who have put all that in to place. So everything is fixed up. A lot of credit has to be put to the people behind the scenes who have helped to put that together.

The players are all in today for a double session. The lads that all played in the game on Monday night will all be in for a warm down session and then we will all get back together.

Then on Thursday morning we will get a team out on the training pitch. The barrier will come down at the training ground at 10 o'clock and then the work will start on pitch number one and we will see if we can get some stuff into them over the two days. We will get them sorted out - ready for their first cup final.

Take care,

Martin

Well, well, well.

I suppose with Kaebi not yet fit, Kisnorbo suspended and doubts over Mattock & McAuley's fitness then we're short on defenders anyway.

Let's hope Kenton can stay fit though, his injury record last season was shocking.

Well have you noticed a pattern? Almost all the players that got injured at some point last season stayed injured. That's probably the coaching staffs fault, not theirs. All the more reason to give the likes of Fryatt and Kenton the benefit of the doubt.

That means fryatt isn't in the 16 then if he played the 90

I can see how you get to that but then again MF has struggled with fitness since last season so he needed a strong pre-season to get his levels up. Unfortunately MDV is ahead of him at the moment which I cant work out.

Are you sure this means he is a definite for the 16 on Saturday, I get the impression he will be considered and get a number now unlike before :unsure: Surely MA hasn't decided who is in and out before the last week of training :dunno: I know he directly mentions Saturday but I just can't believe it yet. Oh well, he is less of a liability than Maybury I suppose.

Kelly didn't do Kenton many favours last year, he was injured most of the season and when he started to regain the little match fitness he needed, Kelly threw him in the team at left back. When he played there, he got ripped apart and did his reputation no good at all.

Nice to see that he's put a lot of effort in, I'm sure he deserves his place in the squad for Saturday. :thumbup:

Who do you all reckon will make the final 16 for Saturday then? Obviously as Kisnorbo is banned, a spare defender will be needed and could well be Kenton although whether Stearman starts is another matter, I reckon we'll go with Chambers as RB and Mattock at LB if he's fit.

Stearman will play center back if McAuley doesn't make it.

I wouldn't be to concerned by that, at least he has played there this season and has a little bit of pace.

i hope not.

Who else would you put there then ?

Who do you all reckon will make the final 16 for Saturday then? Obviously as Kisnorbo is banned, a spare defender will be needed and could well be Kenton although whether Stearman starts is another matter, I reckon we'll go with Chambers as RB and Mattock at LB if he's fit.

Neilson

Stearman

McAuley

N'Gotty

Chambers

Newton

Kishishev

Clemence

Wesolowski

Hume

DJ Campbell

de Vries

Kenton

Henderson

Hellings

Hayes

I personally havn't seen the team in pre-season but some have said he has played well there? McAuley will play anyway, i'm sure.

He played there against Quorn I think it was, with N Gotty, they looked a good pairing I thought. So if McAuley doesn't make it I wouldn't be surprised to see that partnership.

Yes Kenton set out to make an impression. But the outstanding player?

Kisnorbo was immense and Sheehan didn't need to go crunching people cos no-one got near him all evening.

Bit of a change from the 6.5 (quietly competent) you stated in your match ratings?

Anyway, regardless of whether Kenton plays or not I like the message this sends out to players who find themselves on the periphery of the squad and indeed those who believe they are first on the teamsheet). This can only help to improve competition for places and as such the whole squad should benefit.

Bit of a change from the 6.5 (quietly competent) you stated in your match ratings?
Kisnorbo 8.5 (Hard to fault. Fit, strong, decisive, committed, focused and effective.)

:dunno::thumbup:

Thanks Flynny - and I'll stand by those ratings too.

I'd guess he played pretty decently, we're short on defensive cover, Kenton is a valuable sub as he can cover all three positions, and MA has made a big deal of his inclusion to send a message to the rest of the players.

Archived