Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Reserves tonight v's Port Vale

Thoroughly enjoyable game if you like attacking football, both teams attacking play was superior to there defences. Spectators love this type of game but I bet both coaches were frustrated.

GK Cisak Made a couple of terrific saves didn't do too much wrong

LB Mattock Wasn't to strong defensively and a bit over elaborate going forward, terrific header was exposed as Adda never provided cover when he went forward

CB Stearman Best defender on the night look to be handling the captaincy responsibly made a few goal saving stoppages/challenges

CB Kenton Unconvincing performance not tall enough to win the headers and not fast enough.

RB Kaebi Showed all the attributes of a winger but none of a full-back, some lovely overlaps

DM King Played a defensive midfield role spreading the ball out to bothe wings and played some nice balls forward, went off a bit after his error led to a goal, but did really well over all considering Newton did little defensive work

CM Newton Best I've seen him play, to be honest I haven't really rated the guy but a superb attacking misfield performance, whether he'd have as much freedom in the Championship is debatably but reallt enjoyed his performance

LCM Addi D -Seems to have the skill on the ball but didn't really make an effective contribution - entertaining but disappointing

RCM Ferreira I'm not sure whether he was supposed to but this guy was popping up everywhere, great skills bring the ball down on his knee/thigh a couple of times I can't remember the last LCFC player to do that. Again a very entertaining performance but I'm sure he would piss off a lot of coaches as it was a bit undisciplined at times - defensively on the right we were pretty non existent with both and Kaebi pressing forwards

S Fryatt Scored a great goal with a superb finish into the top corner, looked up for it, seems to have slimmed down quite a lot I'd definitely consider starting him over DJ who although having scored two looks a bit lightweight.

S Cort Didn't do too much but didn't do anything wrong

Subs

Sappleton Best I've seen him play in terms of ball control and lay-offs, he has always seemed clumsy but looked much more composed.

Really enjoyed the game apart from when I started to receive mysterious unsolicited 'notes' on my mobile :dunno:

Now thats the last thing we need. I hope it's just a one off

Well, we could certainly do with a bit of flair and skill in the midfield, and he does seem to have that. He was probably just a bit eager to impress in his first outing.

Two goals from Shaun Newton and so nearly a hat-trick; a sixth goal in three reserve games for Matty Fryatt, endless talking points and incident but City Reserves still squandered a 3-0 lead and finally drew 3-3 against battling Port Vale at Hinckley tonight.

Leicester threatened a big score when Fryatt and Newton gave them a 2-0 lead inside 11 mintues. First Fryatt was inexplicably allowed to dribble the ball around the penalty spot for an unusually long time before finally eluding his markers and curling a lovely right footer past the despaiing Vale keeper.

Next Andy King and Matty Fryatt combined for Shaun Newton to score crisply and make the first impression of what was to be his best night in a City shirt so far. With Andy King giving a masterclass in midfield at this stage, City with their speedy attackers and fast passing looked capable of ripping the visiting defence to pieces but they somehow lost momentum and Vale stemmed the leaks to turn round only two goals behind.

However when a Kaebi cross was touched back by Ricky Sappleton for Newton to blast in his second goal, Leicester looked on track for a surprising comfortable victory given the speed, strength and experience of the visiting side.

How things changed. The previously impeccable King inexplicably underhit a back pass gifting Vale's forever lively and dangerous striker Luke Rodgers a lifeline goal. Next Vale took advantage of City's lack of height in the backline. A cross from the right was headed back across goal and there was Rodgers on the far post to force the ball home.

Rodgers completed his hat-trick and rescued a point for Vale when combined errors and a deflection gave him an unlikely penalty which he gobbled up with glee.

tearman has squandered possession, then recovered brilliantly to block an intended shot but the ball spooned high in the air where Kaebi inexplicably tried to clear with an overhead kick which was clearly dangerous given the proximity of an attacker and a penalty rightly given for dangerous play by the female referee A.E.Rayner.

Ironically Man of the Match Newton might so easily have settled the match by completing a hat-trick of his own earlier but, after a brilliant run through the middle his piledriver shot he was frustrated by the parrying hands of goalkeeper Mark Goodlad.

Andy King might have scored when he had first one effort blocked and then swerved the rebound wide by the narowest of margins. Matty Fryatt had a glancing header across a vacant net and Mattock also hit the bar with a header.

The game was notable for the debuts of new loanees Marco Ferreira and Addaq Djeziri on right and left winger respectively. Both showed some clever football but neither impressed with either end product or application. In fact City full-backs Kaebi and Mattock were woefully exposed at times because neither wide man showed an inclination to cover their runs.

Kaebi going forward was majestic. Times he twisted, turned and even nutmegged visiting defenders before putting really dangerous pases into the box.

Mattock, in desperate need of a good un, almost seemed to try too hard. He had some driving runs but so often seemed to lose possession at the crucial time and Vale were certainly no slouches on the counter attack.

Defensively, City looked frail. Kaebi's lack of height and tendency to leave himself exposed caused us problems; Kenton seemed to watch the game pass him by and Mattock, never effective going forward, was also unable to dominate the back post.

That left Stearman. He made the odd mistake too but was by far our best defensively with four crucial blocks and some telling interceptions against the combined threat of the impressive no9 Rodgers and no 10 Calum Willcock.

Altogether great value for the modest entrance fee with lots of incident and some terrific goals and what has to be acknowledged as a terrific comeback by Vale.

Ratings:

=====

Cisak 6.5 (Matchsaving save towards the end but otherwise saw little action and seemed to have little chance with the Vale goals)

Kaebi 7 (Wonderful at times in attack, vulnerable in defence. Nevertheless has some real talent).

Kenton 5 (Up against it and was never comfortable)

Stearman 7.5 (Not flawless but without his blocks and interceptions City might well have lost)

Mattock 6.25 (Tried to drive forward but lost possession too often and while he certainly did some good things was not at his best defensively either. Hit the bar with a header.)

Ferreira 5 (Roamed from the wing leaving the team unbalanced and Kaebi exposed without cover when he went forward)

Newton 9 (Two goals, very nearly a third and good work generally until hewas moved to the wing and King was left with too little help in midfield)

King 7.5 (Outstanding first half, one assist and almost a goal. His misjudged back-pas let Vale back into the game and, although he personally recovered to compelte a generally good performance than momentary lapse in concentration needs to be learned from)

Djeziri 5 (Bit of fancy dan with no end product, not enough determination to right his mistakes and too easily knocked off the ball. Has much to learn but is not without skills)

Fryatt 7.5 (Nicely taken goal, should have scored a second with a glancing header and some constructive and unusually unselfish work in general. Tended to work in patches thoguh which cost him marks).

Cort 5.5 (Won a few aerial balls but posed no great threat).

Subs:

McKay 5 (Not enough time)

Sappleton 6 (One assist and looked quite effective generally)

Magunda 5.5 (Tightened defensive midfield later on but nothing notable).

Cheers to all for the reviews/ratings.

Some pleasing things from what I have read. Kaebi sounds like our potential problem solver on the right-side of midfield and we have a couple of options on the left with Marco and Djeziri looking sounding skillful and creative. Matty Fryatt continues to score and must get his chance ahead of MDV now surely?! He has consistently scored in pre-season and the reserves and must deserve a chance.

Its all looking good for Saturday. All we need now is a manager lol

Ratings:

=====

Ferreira 5 (Roamed from the wing leaving the team unbalanced and Kaebi exposed without cover when he went forward)

That is seriously wrong, he looked a good player and delivered some great balls in from the right and left when he briefly switched something that we have missed.

I agree with all the other ratings except the outrageously generous 7.5 given to king.

Cisak - This guy was exposed completely by the lack of defending by Fryatt

Kaebi - Great work rate. Almost ant like in his industry but even more impressive as his leg count is somewhat lower.

Kenton - Too injury prone for my liking. I counted him being stretchered off at least 6 times tonight. Would love him if he were of academy age.

Stearman - Ruled the back line with a pickled liver. Carried Kenton on at least 6 occasions.

Mattock - What else is there to say? He's young so he's good.

Ferreira - I've marked him down because basically he's lacking in one specific area - youthfullness.

Newton - I don't care how well he played, one swallow blah blah..... why we persist with talented elders when younger numpties are in the squad I'll never know or indeed want to understand.

King - This guy lives up his name, he's well andy. If TPH and his cronies can't see behind his woeful attempt at a back pass which cost us a valuable win I won't be suprised. He won two throw in's and the half time 50-50 draw. Dominant.

Djeziri - Shit. no better than some of the quality youngsters we have out on loan at some of the country's biggest clubs.

Fryatt - More like Wyatt (Earp) but the bloke's a cowboy with no firepower. No doubt he'll be given more reprieves than the Thai prison population on the King's birthday.

Cort - I wish he would be.

Subs:

McKay - He's my love child I think. he's great.

Sappleton - Has this guy been in a film? I'm sure I know him from somewhere.

Magunda - I call him Magover because I think it's funny.

That is seriously wrong, he looked a good player and delivered some great balls in from the right and left when he briefly switched something that we have missed.

I agree with all the other ratings except the outrageously generous 7.5 given to king.

No-one is a more enthusiastic advocate for attacking full-backs than I am but too many times, when Kaebi or Mattock went forward, the wingers failed to provide cover.

As for King why was my rating outrageously generous?

King made one telling error, the sort of mistake everyone makes once in a while, but he had an excellent first half and was perfectly okay second half apart from the error. Considering he had precious little constructive help in midfield once Newton had been pushed wide I think his mark was well deserved.

I never base my ratings around individual errors. Fryatt could be chastised for missing a simple glancing header. I've rated him highly. Kaebi could have been crucified for his irresponsible overhead kick in the penalty bnox - I've rated him quite highly. There is nothing inconsistent in my approach whatsoever.

His error apart, King gave as good an individual performance as I've seen in midfield for a couple of seasons especially during the first half when everyone was making space and wanting the ball. It wasn't his fault that some players tired, moved or faded from the game. The fact he was given a full 90 minutes perhaps said something too.

No-one is a more enthusiastic advocate for attacking full-backs than I am but too many times, when Kaebi or Mattock went forward, the wingers failed to provide cover.

As for King why was my rating outrageously generous?

King made one telling error, the sort of mistake everyone makes once in a while, but he had an excellent first half and was perfectly okay second half apart from the error. Considering he had precious little constructive help in midfield once Newton had been pushed wide I think his mark was well deserved.

I never base my ratings around individual errors. Fryatt could be chastised for missing a simple glancing header. I've rated him highly. Kaebi could have been crucified for his irresponsible overhead kick in the penalty bnox - I've rated him quite highly. There is nothing inconsistent in my approach whatsoever.

His error apart, King gave as good an individual performance as I've seen in midfield for a couple of seasons especially during the first half when everyone was making space and wanting the ball. It wasn't his fault that some players tired, moved or faded from the game. The fact he was given a full 90 minutes perhaps said something too.

I just don't see how you could rate him so highly in comparison to Ferreira who I believe was alot more effective.

The wingers? They didn't play as wide men. It was a more central diamond formation, hence the lack of cover on the wings. The midfield was positionally very fluid, with Newton, Adda and Marco all freely moving around.

The wingers? They didn't play as wide men. It was a more central diamond formation, hence the lack of cover on the wings. The midfield was positionally very fluid, with Newton, Adda and Marco all freely moving around.

it was very fluid, one might say too fluid, I didn't notice Adda moving from the wing much but Marco was all over the place, if anything he was trying to do too much.

We only had about 4 people go to the game from here and their ratings at times are miles apart! It just goes to show that people see different things and rate players in different ways.

I'm pretty sure the place you are in the ground makes a difference aswell.

We only had about 4 people go to the game from here and their ratings at times are miles apart! It just goes to show that people see different things and rate players in different ways.

That's why I don't do ratings people take too much notice of them and don't read the comments, the numberd are pretty meaningless anyway.

That's why I don't do ratings people take too much notice of them and don't read the comments, the numberd are pretty meaningless anyway.

I like the ratings as you do see a pattern emerge from people who always seem to be a bit more generous to their favs lol. Its all harmless fun I suppose but it does highlight how different we see things as fans. I know Milky Joe mentions where you sit in the stadium but its deeper than that! We just like different attributes in players and look out for different things. I personally crave for seeing players who attempt to use some skill or do something away from the ordianry but others seem to rate players highly for hard work even though at times there is no end product!

Thats also why all this new manager stuff is so confusingly diverse. If you look back at peoples choices when MM first arrived, then look at who we should get in to replace RK and then check out the polls for Wortho`s replacement, you`ll see people don't know who they prefer. Not one person in a poll of over 100 people named MA as there choice from a long list but when he came and started a few wisecracks and some half decent results, he was hailed as the messiah! Now he has left some people are so down whilst others are thankful he has left!

You cant please everybody all the time thats for sure!

I like the ratings as you do see a pattern emerge from people who always seem to be a bit more generous to their favs lol. Its all harmless fun I suppose but it does highlight how different we see things as fans. I know Milky Joe mentions where you sit in the stadium but its deeper than that! We just like different attributes in players and look out for different things. I personally crave for seeing players who attempt to use some skill or do something away from the ordianry but others seem to rate players highly for hard work even though at times there is no end product!

Thats also why all this new manager stuff is so confusingly diverse. If you look back at peoples choices when MM first arrived, then look at who we should get in to replace RK and then check out the polls for Wortho`s replacement, you`ll see people don't know who they prefer. Not one person in a poll of over 100 people named MA as there choice from a long list but when he came and started a few wisecracks and some half decent results, he was hailed as the messiah! Now he has left some people are so down whilst others are thankful he has left!

You cant please everybody all the time thats for sure!

quote]

It's a funny thing with so-called favourites though.

If I give 7.5 (0.5 more than Milky Joe) to Andy King it's "outrageously generous".

But if I give 7.5 to Matty Fryatt (supposedly someone I don't like) there's no comment.

quote]

It's a funny thing with so-called favourites though.

If I give 7.5 (0.5 more than Milky Joe) to Andy King it's "outrageously generous".

But if I give 7.5 to Matty Fryatt (supposedly someone I don't like) there's no comment.

I must be honest and say I thought that you rated your favs highly last season but seem to have been more fair this season.

I must be honest and say I thought that you rated your favs highly last season but seem to have been more fair this season.

Thanks for that. But, my so called favourites may have looked better compared to those about them last season than this.

Last night's reserve team for instance looked as good on paper as last season's first team - although they hid it quite well second half. :D

Archived