Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

Giving blood...

• 1 year later...

Bump!

Is it really nearly two years since we last talked about this?

I've just been again myself, and I'm really just trying to give a gentle nudge to those who might fancy giving it a go but haven't quite got round to it. It's dead easy, doesn't hurt, and what better way of doing a bit of good at minimal cost to yourself?

And free squash and biscuits, don't forget

given twice and was meant to go again just after new years but I forgot. Good job I didn't really though cause I got smashed for my mates birthday the night before.

Generally speaking it's a shame more people don't do it, I mean free biscuits and juice, could you ask for anything more from life?

On a serious note though it baffles me that more people don't do it. Give up an hour of your time for one little moment of pain and you can save someone's life.

The worst thing about the whole thing is NBS badgering on at you all the time, does my head in. I'll donate when I can thanks.

Bump!

Is it really nearly two years since we last talked about this?

I've just been again myself, and I'm really just trying to give a gentle nudge to those who might fancy giving it a go but haven't quite got round to it. It's dead easy, doesn't hurt, and what better way of doing a bit of good at minimal cost to yourself?

And free squash and biscuits, don't forget

I really ought to do this. I keep meaning to but, well, somehow never get round to it. >_<

Keep guilt-tripping me though, eventually I will get there. :smile:

I registered about 2 years ago (probably because of this thread) and then didn't do anything about it (apart from get slightly annoyed at the surprisngly aggressive texts, emails and letters demanding blood from me).

But I just phoned them now to book an appointment and they told me I had to wait 6 months because I'd been to India recently. So I won't be giving any blood until mid June.

Still cheers for the reminder, BS.

Rest assured I'll be back sooner this time to hassle people again.

They can be pretty forward in getting you to come in, James, I agree. I go as often as my body allows but that doesn't stop them ringing me up inbetween to check that I'm still going, but I let them off because at least it's important.

In an exciting new development, they now suggest that you clench and release your buttocks and thighs while making your donation because apparently this boosts the circulation and reduces the chances of fainting (which are pretty low anyway). If nothing else, it'll help you on your way to having a nice pert bum

I donate platelets once a month. The nurses are very nice and bring me lots of tea when I'm hooked up to the machine for an hour

I tried to do that because it's an even bigger skive off work but they decided that my platelets 'weren't suitable', whatever that means. They seem to work OK for me

lol I'll faint - I can more or less guarantee it. It's not the site of blood that'll do it, but I've got ridiculously low blood pressure and faint at the drop of a hat anyway. Ah well, at least it might get me an extra biccy. :cool: Edited by anotherofwalshieswomen

lol I'll faint - I can more or less guarantee it. It's not the site of blood that'll do it, but I've got ridiculously low blood pressure and faint at the drop of a hat anyway. Ah well, at least it might get me an extra biccy. :cool:

You've just got to work your bottom harder.

This has got to be post of the day, surely?

They want my platelets too, are you going to do it? Don't think I fancy being hooked up to a Dialaysis machine for a few hours! Let me know what its like you do it anyway.

I realise this post wa made years ago, but here goes

I did my fourth platelet donation yesterday. You have to go in for tests first, to check you make enough and your veins can hack it. You're hooked up to a machine for anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes (never more). The machine draws the blood out, spins it in a machine, then squirts back into you. At the one where I go they have TVs and free wifi so you can easily pass the time. Because at the end the only blood you've lost is the little bit in the machine at the end, you can give once a month (or even every two weeks after a while). It's all quite relaxing really.

I realise this post wa made years ago, but here goes

I did my fourth platelet donation yesterday. You have to go in for tests first, to check you make enough and your veins can hack it. You're hooked up to a machine for anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes (never more). The machine draws the blood out, spins it in a machine, then squirts back into you. At the one where I go they have TVs and free wifi so you can easily pass the time. Because at the end the only blood you've lost is the little bit in the machine at the end, you can give once a month (or even every two weeks after a while). It's all quite relaxing really.

I'm thinking a couple of hours at a spa would be preferable. :ermm:

Platelets is fine. You just have the needle in a bit longer. I register for bone marrow. Sounds... Interesting

Is bone marrow the operating one? I saw it on a program somewhere, and the girl had to go in for a little operation. Just curious.

Will register for giving blood one day, always thought about it.

Is bone marrow the operating one? I saw it on a program somewhere, and the girl had to go in for a little operation. Just curious.

Will register for giving blood one day, always thought about it.

There's 2 ways of extracting bone marrow (I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, I can't be arsed to look).

1) They drill a small hole in your hip bone and extract it that way.

2) They give you some injections for a week and then they can take it directly from your blood.

Edited by Webbo

There's 2 ways of extracting bone marrow (I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread, I can't be arsed to look).

1) They drill a small hole in your hip bone and extract it that way.

2) They give you some injections for a week and then they can take it directly from your blood.

Heard that one is way more common now. First one's what scares people and what gets passed around.

I'd love to do it, and thinking of signing up to do it, but I dont know my blood type... Is that a problem? Do they test it and tell you?

not at all, they take some blood and do some tests on it, checking for HIV etc. inform you if there's anything wrong and also tell you your blood type.