Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unit

Giving blood...

I give blood and it's an amazing thing to do.was a bit gutted 1st time they did it and my blood really wasn't blue :-( they gave me a key ring with my blood type on it ; O+ ftw!!!

O positives are wankers, all about A negative. :cool:

edit: Oh and they take it from arteries (IIRC) so it's not going to be blue.

Edited by LargeAl

If they took it from arteries it would spurt every where and you'd have serious blood loss issues. It's taken from the veins, but is red because it gets oxygenated when it's exposed to the air.

Mate an open artery without a pressurised line going into it will literally hit the roof of the room.

If you tried to donate blood using an artery you'd be dead pretty fast lol.

I want to do this but what are the rules with tattoos, don't you have to wait a certain amount of time after?

If you have had acupuncture or any complementary therapy involving penetration by needles, please wait 4 months from receiving any of these treatments. However, if your acupuncture was performed by NHS staff on NHS premises or was performed outside the NHS but by a qualified Healthcare Professional, registered with a statutory body, then you may donate.

If you have had any body piercing including permanent and semi permanent makeup and tattooing, please wait 4 months from your last piercing before donating.

From the quiz thing on their website mate.

• 4 months later...

I bump this every time I go, so needless to say, I've just been again.

For those of you that fancy giving it a go and have never got round to it, it really is dead easy.

Who knows, your donation may end up helping a cancer sufferer or a wounded serviceman, or perhaps a fit celebrity or even a fellow FTer. Just imagine!

Orange Clubs are currently on offer at the Leicester donor centre, but these may of course run out

I bump this every time I go, so needless to say, I've just been again.

For those of you that fancy giving it a go and have never got round to it, it really is dead easy.

Who knows, your donation may end up helping a cancer sufferer or a wounded serviceman, or perhaps a fit celebrity or even a fellow FTer. Just imagine!

Orange Clubs are currently on offer at the Leicester donor centre, but these may of course run out

Last time I went to donate platelets (last week) the iron testing solution thingy was messing up. I ended up getting two of my fingers pricked during the test, a needle in my right arm to test iron levels in a machine, and then the massive needle in my left to actually donate the platelets. Then they decided I could do a triple dose for the first time, rather than a double, so I ended up on the machine for 89 minutes. I felt like a pin cushion by the end. A HEROIC pincushion.

Last time I went to donate platelets (last week) the iron testing solution thingy was messing up. I ended up getting two of my fingers pricked during the test, a needle in my right arm to test iron levels in a machine, and then the massive needle in my left to actually donate the platelets. Then they decided I could do a triple dose for the first time, rather than a double, so I ended up on the machine for 89 minutes. I felt like a pin cushion by the end. A HEROIC pincushion.

:o You've just put me off ever going. :cry:>_<

• 1 year later...