Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

I (and YOU) need inspiration - NEW MUSIC

I feel the need to discover some new music (and by new I mean music I haven't heard before).

I keep scanning through the hundreds of albums on my iPod but am struggling to settle on one. There is a shitload of great music on it but I feel I want something fresh to get my teeth (ears?) stuck in to.

As an example Fez' Stateless tip was superb... what an album, exactly why I like this part of the forum.

So this thread should be about putting down original music ideas to open my (and other people's) ears to... I don't want to hear about Arctic Monkeys or the bestest ever person part 2 or the latest rubbish commercial brap hop or even (shock horror) bloody Portishead.

Let's see what you lot are made of.

GO!

ok here we go I have tried to suggest something that you might like... I mean I could suggest Lars Frederikson and the B*stards but you wouldn't like it

one of my top bands at the the minute is The Postal Service another is Mixtapes and Cellmates

any thoughts?

Well I don't know what music you're into so you may not be a fan.

But here goes..

Hot Hot Heat

Dashboard Confessional

I also don't know how old you are. So they may be completely not your taste. But give them a go as I like them ;)

Folk, tbh. The New Bushbury Mountain Daredevils are what it's all about. I'ma upload something.

Edit: Ok, here goes.

Bushbury Mnt Drdevils - London Road. I'm always plugging Irish or Welsh folk bands, this lot are from Brum and I saw them live at some folk festival about ten years ago! Hah. At the time I dismissed them as "my dad's music", but having rediscovered the album a few weeks ago I've not put it down since. I can't guarantee you'll like it, ofc, but I'm pretty sure no one's going to have suggested something like it yet. Haha.

And then. Like. The complete and total opposite end of my musical spectrum...

Scott Brown - Boomstick. fooking great sample from Army of Darkness and a seriously harsh bit of rave. I couldn't be arsed to upload it so I found it on YouTube. I was going to do the same for Atari Teenage Riot - Start The Riot but A. I couldn't find it and B. I figured most people have probably heard that by now.

Try The Budos Band, who play the most badass afrobeat-funk-jazz imaginable. Their music is the soundtrack to the life I wish I were living.

Go to their MySpace page and listen. NOW.

Folk

How about some, well, "anti-folk" instead? Give Jeffrey Lewis a try, particularly if you're the very rare sort who likes both the whole acoustic singer-songwriter thing and vintage, abrasive anarchist punk. His most recent album, "12 Crass Songs," is exactly that: covers of 12 songs by Crass.

Oh, and he also did a hilarious and awesome

about my favorite group, The Fall. Actually, if I may make one more suggestion, take a good chunk of time and go through The Fall's oeuvre from 1977 all the way to today.

Can we have an update JtB, did anyone of this tickle your crank-gland?

I've been far too busy to try anything out. But I'm mightily impressed with how this thread has gone and also eternally thankful to those that have contributed. There's more than enough to keep me occupied, once I reach the point where I require occupation.

Crank you, one and all.

And keep them coming...

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Thank you to all those who contributed. It would be rude of me not to offer some feedback in return. I haven't made it through all of the recommendations but for those that I have...

Burial - Untrue: really wasn't sure to make of this to start with. It's like apocalyptic garage or something! After a few listens though I started to enjoy it. It's the sort of music to walk around slightly dodgy South London housing estates which is where I was when I first thought - this is actually rather good!

Beth Gibbons - Out of Season: very chilled, quite folky in places and THAT voice. Obviously not completely new to me but really good to hear some of her solo stuff which until now I hadn't really looked at.

Battles - Mirrored: great call this one. Very weird in places and also very refreshing to hear some innovative guitar based music. Need to have a proper listen but am already recommending this to friends.

Subgiant - 2 albums: thanks to Daggers for going to the trouble of uploading these for me. Definitely up my street, firstly reminded me of Death in Vegas, that was before it progressed into techy trance type sounds. Hope to show my appreciation by actually purchasing the albums soon.

Stephen Malkmus: donwloaded his self-titled album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

If anyone has anything else let me know. Hopefully get round to checking out some more soon.

Update:

Thank you to all those who contributed. It would be rude of me not to offer some feedback in return. I haven't made it through all of the recommendations but for those that I have...

Burial - Untrue: really wasn't sure to make of this to start with. It's like apocalyptic garage or something! After a few listens though I started to enjoy it. It's the sort of music to walk around slightly dodgy South London housing estates which is where I was when I first thought - this is actually rather good!

Beth Gibbons - Out of Season: very chilled, quite folky in places and THAT voice. Obviously not completely new to me but really good to hear some of her solo stuff which until now I hadn't really looked at.

Battles - Mirrored: great call this one. Very weird in places and also very refreshing to hear some innovative guitar based music. Need to have a proper listen but am already recommending this to friends.

Subgiant - 2 albums: thanks to Daggers for going to the trouble of uploading these for me. Definitely up my street, firstly reminded me of Death in Vegas, that was before it progressed into techy trance type sounds. Hope to show my appreciation by actually purchasing the albums soon.

Stephen Malkmus: donwloaded his self-titled album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

If anyone has anything else let me know. Hopefully get round to checking out some more soon.

:thumbup:

Update:

It's definitely the best of his solo ones. If you give it a decent chance, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Yea me! :cool:

The "Thracian of Music Discussion" indeed! :angry:

:D

Update:

:thumbup:

More recently I have been toatally blown away by The National - Boxer. They are sort of a 'happy' Tindesticks. Beautiful songs

Archived