Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finchy

Music Evolution

Just thought it was interesting to think back and see how your music taste has evolved as you've grown up. I'm not that old so it's not very interesting, but here's mine :thumbup:

0-10: Anything in the charts I guess, Robbie Williams I believe was a favourite of mine. First single I bought was Will Smith - Miami :/

10-12: Someone burned me a copy of Dookie by Green Day, and then I went down the pop punk route, Green Day, Offspring, Blink, Sum 41 etc etc. Bit of Eminem too, but at this stage I think it was only because he swore a lot and it was cool to listen to it. These days now I understand a bit more what he's talking about, I respect it a lot more.

12-14: Still a bit of Green Day but went off Blink, Sum 41, New Found Glory type bands. Got into heavier bands, Nirvana, Guns N Roses.

14-16: Discovered Indie music :) Bit of Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Coldplay and I bummed The Libertines and Kings Of Leon. Also started looking back to older bands in my Dad's collection, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zep. Then discovered bands like Sex Pistols, The Clash, Joy Division, The Smiths, Stone Roses and The Manics.

16-18 Present: Everything Joy Division, Blur, Radiohead, The Libertines, Oasis have done. The Streets, Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs. Basically British Indie bands.

This exact moment: Bon Iver :wub:

Here we go...

travstop10medium.png

Shocking isn't it! :o

What's even more shocking is the fact I still have stuff like this lying around. I could probably find some teen-angst poetry too - if I really wanted to embarrass myself. :D

Here we go...

travstop10medium.png

really...... he he he he he he he Never ending story

surely not?

I guess I was lucky my parents didn't really listen to music in the house didn't even have a proper stereo as in Hi Fi until I was like 16 so I missed out most of the 80's thank god.... which is probably why I am now so eclectic and have some sort of weird messed up OCD when it comes to music it would probably be cheaper to have a heroin addiction than a music one!! I still love that feeling you get when you listen to something totally new and it just hits you in the face like a sledge hammer!!

First record I ever purchased was a Pirate copy of License to Ill on cassette from Skeggy market

Just thought it was interesting to think back and see how your music taste has evolved as you've grown up. I'm not that old so it's not very interesting, but here's mine :thumbup:

0-10: Anything in the charts I guess, Robbie Williams I believe was a favourite of mine. First single I bought was Will Smith - Miami :/

10-12: Someone burned me a copy of Dookie by Green Day, and then I went down the pop punk route, Green Day, Offspring, Blink, Sum 41 etc etc. Bit of Eminem too, but at this stage I think it was only because he swore a lot and it was cool to listen to it. These days now I understand a bit more what he's talking about, I respect it a lot more.

12-14: Still a bit of Green Day but went off Blink, Sum 41, New Found Glory type bands. Got into heavier bands, Nirvana, Guns N Roses.

14-16: Discovered Indie music :) Bit of Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Coldplay and I bummed The Libertines and Kings Of Leon. Also started looking back to older bands in my Dad's collection, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zep. Then discovered bands like Sex Pistols, The Clash, Joy Division, The Smiths, Stone Roses and The Manics.

16-18 Present: Everything Joy Division, Blur, Radiohead, The Libertines, Oasis have done. The Streets, Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs. Basically British Indie bands.

This exact moment: Bon Iver :wub:

0-10: Chart music I suppose.

10-12: I started getting into Papa Roach and Linkin Park in my skateboarding days.

12-14: Back to the pop music because I knew no better and whatever would make me look hard at school with the teenager attitude.

14-15: Realised the world wasn't against me and started listening to pop punk music really, Blink, Sum 41, Green Day and so on.

16-Present: Started to getting into heavier bands such as Slipknot and Bullet for my Valentine, started listening to older bands aswell, Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd and others of that sort. Still listen to quite a bit of pop punk Blink and Green Day. Also discovered I like Stone Roses, Sex Pistols and quite a lot more. And now I've started to get into a bit of hip, Jay-z, Biggie, Lil Wayne, 2 pac and so on.

really...... he he he he he he he Never ending story

surely not?

I guess I was lucky my parents didn't really listen to music in the house didn't even have a proper stereo as in Hi Fi until I was like 16 so I missed out most of the 80's thank god.... which is probably why I am now so eclectic and have some sort of weird messed up OCD when it comes to music it would probably be cheaper to have a heroin addiction than a music one!! I still love that feeling you get when you listen to something totally new and it just hits you in the face like a sledge hammer!!

First record I ever purchased was a Pirate copy of License to Ill on cassette from Skeggy market

It's the Phil Collins that I'm most ashamed of >_<

And there was SOME good music back then, shortly after this I was to get into The Cure and The Damned and then later Pixies, Dinosaur Jr and Young Gods by the end of the 80s :thumbup:

Here we go...

travstop10medium.png

What's even more shocking is the fact I still have stuff like this lying around. I could probably find some teen-angst poetry too - if I really wanted to embarrass myself. :D

Some absolute tunes on that list :thumbup:

I don't think I could have wrote it better myself for my own! Pretty much exactly like mine, probably with the exception of the 12-14 bracket where I pretty much continued with the likes of Blink etc., but got into indie slightly earlier.

Couple this with delving into a whole host of genres from about 16, and you get where I am now with a pretty diverse taste in music.

When I started out I was into really cutting edge material like Bucks Fizz and Musical Youth, but by about 1984 I liked pretty much the same stuff as Trav Le Bleu.

When I entered my early teenage years I looked to my brother for inspiration, which was a mistake as his taste was bloody awful (although I wasn't to know), so I ended up with far too many Dire Straits and Billy Joel albums.

I got my first Morrissey album when I'd just turned 16 and that was the epiphany really, which led on to the whole dirty journey into what to me then was the unfathomable world of indie/alternative. I was at university during the whole Britpop thing, so got pretty much immersed in that, although looking back some of it is a bit embarrassing. It's strange because you never know at the time what's going to stay with you and what you will look back on with utter disdain. For example, I never really expected to still be buying Morrissey albums 18 years on, but at the same time I didn't expect that all my Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Kingmaker, Echobelly and Gene CDs would end up in the loft. Ouch.

When you reach your mid 30s you're hard to impress, and on realising that most of what's out there is a bit crap, conclude that you might as well just listen to The Fall all the time

0-10. Was never really into music suppose a few chart pop songs stood out and the stuff played at school disco's. Always loved 3 Lions after Euro 96'

11-14. mostly chart stuff, although did go through a few months of the "skater period" with stuff such as Papa roach, Blink 182, Sum 41

15 - Hip hop, stuff like 50 Cent, Dre, Jsy Z Eminem etc.

16-17 - Indie mad, fell in love with The Cribs, Wombats, Pigeon Detectives, Hard-Fi. Basically the sort of person Ash17lcfc would like to shoot.

18 - Got back into Rap/Hip hop and chart, basically what was big in the clubs and that.

18-19 - Modern RnB, Ne-yo, Taio Cruz, Chris Brown.

Now - All sorts probably mainly Hip Hop but will listen to most stuff in the charts and you hear in the clubs etc. Still like Indie, Rock, Electronic.

As early as I can recall-7: Kim Larsen and Dire Straits. Straight-forward rock/pop mainly

8-12: Dire Straits, U2, Genesis (post-Gabriel), Pink Floyd, The Police...

13-14: Skunk Anansie, RATM, David Bowie (Outside, Earthling), Metallica, Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins, Cranberries, Cream, Oasis, Soundgarden...

15-17: Tool, Rammstein, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Marilyn Manson, Kula Shaker, Deftones, Archive...

18-21: A Perfect Circle, Tool, Dream Theater, Underworld, Prodigy, Flyleaf, Dizzy Mizz Lizzy, Coheed & Cambria, Anouk, Jeff Buckley...

22-now: Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, Pineapple Thief, Sigur Ros, Tommy Emmanuel, Opeth, Muse, Infected Mushroom, Tool, Amplifier, Mars Volta...

travstop10medium.png

What's that drawing at the bottom? :P

0-10. influenced by my mum and dad's musical taste; brotherhood of man, bernard cribbins, freddy and the dreamers, queen and the muppet album

11-14. the difficult early teen years of just liking 'stuff' , such as; queen, moving on to led zeppelin and micheal jackson (!)

15 - developing a musical identity, influenced by the lads i hung around with; led zep, ac/dc, metallica, the back crowes plus various random (and rubbish) metal acts

16-17 - developing my own musical taste; led zep, the black crowes, primal scream, a bit of (light) acid house, plus 'the madchester' scene; stone roses, inspiral carpets, 808 state and most importantly, the charlatans (they taught me i didn't have to listen to hard guitars and keyboards could be ok and not bon jovi-ish)

18 - ^ as you were plus getting more into dancey stuff like real 2 reel, the shamen, prodigy and silly chart dance, like 2unlimited :blush:

18-19 - ^ as you were1993/94 were very very very lean years for music, the charlatans imploded, the stone roses did a runner, the carpets were the only thing left!

20's - got into big beat, mostly, fatboy slim and midfield general plus anything a bit like that; basement jaxx etc. also the roses came back, the charlatans were doing some of their best stuff, then 'britpop' happened and i went to see bands like: the bluetones, cast (got told to fvck off by john power), black grape, oasis, the charlatans, the stone roses, blur and had fun at glastonbury.

Now - all of the above, and anything i'm forced to listen to by the other people in this house. having said that i never wanted to become a 'it's not proper music like in my day' type of person and hopefully i'm not, but i just know i'm massively uncool (like people, in their 30's, when i was a kid; liking the 'wrong' bands, such as sleeper and republica) by liking stuff like pendulum, noisia and the like (drum and bass 15 years too late!)

0-10: Anything my dad listened to - mainly cassettes in the car more than anything else. Metallica, Thin Lizzy, The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, all that type of stuff. Contrasting with my mum's Boyzone and Take That/

10-13: Discovered that singles cost £2.99 and went through my novelty phase. Sisqo, Destiny's Child, Nelly, Eddie Grant, DJ Pied Piper and the Master Of Ceremonies, pretty much anything at this point. Nu-metal also a frequent feature, loved a bit of Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Lostprophets. Also liked hip-hop/rap around this time, got into Dre, Busta Rhymes, Eminem etc.

13-14: Taste got a bit heavier. Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, that kind of stuff. Listen to some of it now and I'm not a fan, but I do still like some of the music from that phase.

14-15: Bloc Party, Kasabian etc. Mate got me into Oasis and I began to appreciate them a bit more. Also developed a fondness for dance/trance music.

16-Present: Will pretty much listen to anything nowadays. Not really going through any phase. Music ranges from The Saturdays to System of a Down. If I like it I'll listen.

0-10. Like most people I was pretty influenced by my parents. So I grew up listening to Springsteen, Rod Stewart, a bit of Queen, Meat Loaf, Bryan Adams (:cool:), Clapton, Dylan, Neil Young, etc.

11-13. Cheesey 90s rave / trance / eurodance. lol Darude, Sash!, DJ Jean, DJ Quicksilver, Eifel 65, Vengaboys, Fragma, you name it. If it was absolutely dreadful and on Now 20 then I probably listened to it. Hahaha.

14 - Briefly flirted with the Offspring, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down (before they were famous!), RATM and all of the nu-metal scene when first introduced to "modern" guitar music properly by both my sister and a girl I absolutely adored at school before...

15 - Fell massively in love with punk. Proper punk. When all the "skaters" were calling themselves "punk" listening to Blink 182, Green Day, the Offspring and NOFX I was the arrogant know-it-all diggin' The Damned, TSOL, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag (before they sucked!), AFI (before they sucked!), the Misfits, the Pistols and X Ray Spex.

16- 17 - Went like a scenester whore for the all "New Rock Revolution" shit. The Vines, the White Stripes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the D4 et all. Though I absolutely, massively, AMAZINGLY bummed the shit out of The Datsuns and spent a good two years telling everyone they were the most amazing thing ever and pretending Harmonic Generator wasn't actually shit. It pretty much all ended for me when they got on the main stage at Reading in 2003 and were a bit disappointing.

18 - Can't really rememeber. Probably about a mix of the above two. I got back into punk a little bit and started listening a lot more to Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys despite having owned their albums for a while. Discovered the Tossers and start listening to a bit more folky punk stuff, the Young Dubliners and the Pogues as well.

18-19 - The Streets' first album, Sweatshop Union, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, 65dos, DJ Danger Mouse, Gnarls Barkley, Billy Bragg, DANGERDOOM. Looking back at that I really became an ultimately somewhat cliché student. For shame.

Now (22) - Pretty much a mix of the above. I never thought it'd happen but I've lost a bit of interest in music. It's been a massive part of my life but it's usually just background noise now. I refuse to be one of those people who answer the "what do you listen to?" question "anythin' really" but I've started taking ecclectic to the extremes. I used to listen to anything as long as it was good now I just listen to most things. I've always got to have music on but it's usually wank.

Throughout it all some favourites have been and will always be Flogging Molly, The Datsuns, Godspeed Y!BE, RATM and Placebo.

Here we go...

travstop10medium.png

That's quality you still have that lying about.

Archived