Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

What are you listening to?

On 08/10/2019 at 21:00, Soup said:

Was about to respond with Newen Afrobeat…. But, you’d beat me to it….  Seun Kuti (Felas son) is on vocals

Love highlife music…. It’s epic!

well known, but a classic!

k

On 30/10/2019 at 22:19, Blue ROI said:

One of the great bands to emerge from the Midlands. With the late great Trish Keenan.

I remember buying work non work as a young pup…. Still stand up today…. Really atmospheric 

My favourite track by them…. Beautiful 

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Was about to respond with Newen Afrobeat…. But, you’d beat me to it….  Seun Kuti (Felas son) is on vocals

Love highlife music…. It’s epic!

well known, but a classic!

Didn't know this, that's really interesting..I should bone up on these things as I'm really getting in to this kind of stuff of late.

25 minutes ago, Soup said:

Didn't know this, that's really interesting..I should bone up on these things as I'm really getting in to this kind of stuff of late.

Never new Ginger Baker did a collaboration with Fela…. Big shoes to full seeing as Tony Allen (from Felas band) is regarded as one of the greatest drummers ever…. He could tap out 4 different rhythms with each limb - his party trick 

Try this…. Seun…. Harder voice than his dad, but, cool 

and for associated stuff…. Give this a try…. Just for the spirit!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago I was really into a CD entitled 'impressed with gilles peterson'.

It's not really 'with gilles peterson', more he'd curated what was a compilation of 60's British jazz.

At the time I thought is was ace. There was however one track, called 'Jaipur', which really stood out. I got hold of some other material from the two main protagonists of this tune, but never managed to find the source of Jaipur.

Until recently that is, when I somewhat haphazardly discovered that in 2015 an album called 'Hum Dono' by the Joe Harriott / Amancio D'Silva Quartet had been reissued.

The vocalist is Norma Winstone ....

.......Nice! 

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Many years I was really into a CD entitled 'impressed with gilles peterson'.

It's not really 'with gilles peterson', more he'd curated what was a compilation of 60's British jazz.

At the time I thought is was ace. There was however one track, called 'Jaipur', which really stood out. I got hold of some other material from the two main protagonists of this tune, but never managed to find the source of Jaipur.

Until recently that is, when I somewhat haphazardly discovered that in 2015 an album called 'Hum Dono' by the Joe Harriott / Amancio D'Silva Quartet had been reissued.

The vocalist is Norma Winstone ....

.......Nice! 

I have that very CD!  That is a fantastic track

there was a second volume too…

Try this

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I have that very CD!  That is a fantastic track

there was a second volume too…

I never got round to giving the second volume a listen. Was aware of its release but I was sidetracked by other stuff musically.

It really is worth while digging around in and amongst the British jazz archives. There really is some very cool stuff to be found. And without resorting to cliches, it is very hard to pinpoint and define what it it is that makes some British jazz so exceptionally good. 

There's also the weird and wonderful. Shall we just say this is British eccentricity, on vinyl, at its very best.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wolfox said:

A bit more whilst I’m at it….  If you like female harmonies over jazz that is!

That's really interesting. Not so much the female vocal but the fact that he's a jazz violinist! I'm gonna" have to check this fella' out.

And with regards female jazz singers. I gotta' mention Linda Sharrock. She did harmonies, but she also did other stuff. 

I've got this album on vinyl. Takes pride of place in my collection. Bought it years ago from Intoxica on Portobello Road.

The place was a veritable treasure trove of rare, obscure & collectable second-hand vinyl. Its sadly gone now, a victim of tourist footfall and rising rents.

Tragic, as it was the sort of shop the tourists went there for in the first place. You can probably buy an expensive latte in there now and just fookin' people watch all day!

Cue Linda ......

• Like 3

I’m not really up with today’s artists, I don’t normally like Xmas songs and cover versions are usually shit but....

That Ellie Goulding cover of Joni Mitchell’s River is bloody brilliant and I can’t stop listening  to it.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2019 at 16:05, swanlee said:

I never got round to giving the second volume a listen. Was aware of its release but I was sidetracked by other stuff musically.

It really is worth while digging around in and amongst the British jazz archives. There really is some very cool stuff to be found. And without resorting to cliches, it is very hard to pinpoint and define what it it is that makes some British jazz so exceptionally good. 

There's also the weird and wonderful. Shall we just say this is British eccentricity, on vinyl, at its very best.

That’s really interesting…. Like it…. I had never heard of Basil Kirchin…. Have just started to  download some bits…. Reminded my a little of Gary McFarland/ Axelrod

looking through my Jazz based collection it’s predominantly American and Brazilian…. Would like to understand a bit more about British Jazz

if you like different sounds…. Try these (only the first is British)

suspect you’ll know at least the first track…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1