Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Top 5 albums

Tough as I go through areselicking phases of many.

But on 13th October 2009 I'll say:

New Fellas - The Cribs

200px-The_new_fellas.jpg

Still love a good listen to this, remember the summer of '06 through to late '07 when I was totally indie/rock and that phase...These were my main band and this their best album...I'm alright me, Martel and The Wrong was to be stand out but there really isn't a weak track.

The Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z

jay-z-the-blueprint-3-album-cover1-300x300.jpg

Practically owned my itunes for the last 2 months, whether I'd include it in a years time who knows but massive impact on me recently, DOA, What we Talkin' about, Run This town and Already Home are my stand outs.

The Cool -Lupe Fiasco

41V8xF0lS2L._AA240_.jpg

Lyrically superb and a great flowing album all round - favourites - Hip Hop saved my life, Go Go Gadget Flow, Streets on Fire

Graduation - Kany West

graduation.jpg

Not 1 bad song, was into Kanye before with College Dropout and Late Regestration but this just topped it for me, stand out tracks Can't Tell me Nothing, Big Brother, I wonder, Homecoming and possibly my favourite song ever - Flashing lights

Get rich or Die tryin' - 50 Cent

Get_Rich_Or_Die_Tryin

Call me a chav, wannabee Gangster or whatever.... but when I was 14/15 ish really getting into music this was the one for me. 21 Questions, What up Gangsta and many men remain in my all time favourite songs, In Da club sounds great well....In a club. Love driving to it too, especially the opening to Many Men late at night.

The Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z

jay-z-the-blueprint-3-album-cover1-300x300.jpg

The Cool -Lupe Fiasco

41V8xF0lS2L._AA240_.jpg

Graduation - Kany West

graduation.jpg

Thought id steel three of yours :P also are you looking forward to lupes new album?

Id add to this list:

Kid Cudi: Man on The Moon.

and.

Eminem: Curtain Call: The Hits.

These might not be me top 5 but they were most played for sure. It's hard to remember and there's bound to be a few I preferred but can't think.

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions (and Fear of a Black Planet)

Gangstarr - Step In The Arena

New Order - Substance

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Poor Righteous Teachers - Holy Intellect

Redman - Doc's Da Name

Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader (just beats Let The Rythm Hit 'Em as my favourite by them)

Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill

Lords of the Underground - Keepers of the Funk

EPMD - Unfinished Business

Californication - RHCP

With Love And Squalor - We Are Scientists

By The Way - RHCP

Myths Of The Near Future - Klaxons

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

My top 5 most played albums, replace By The Way with Origin Of Symmetry and the AM's one with their first and it'd probably be my favourite 5.

Blimey, errr, ok:-

Pearl Jam - Ten

The Jam - Sound Effects

Bob Dylan - Blood On The tracks

The Smiths - The queen Is Dead

Marvin Gaye - Whats going on

I'm sure I would choose another 5 tomorrow though.

Oops never stated why?

Pearl jam is the first 'Rock' band I really got into from the start and still love today, The jam are one of the greatest english bands of all time plus I was a mod back in the day, Dylans blood on the tracks was songwriting at its best, The smiths were one of the few good 80's bands and TQID is probably my fave album by them, & I had to pick a soul album and theres probably none better than Marvin Gayes 'Whats going on'.

Thought id steel three of yours :P also are you looking forward to lupes new album?

Id add to this list:

Kid Cudi: Man on The Moon.

and.

Eminem: Curtain Call: The Hits.

i'd have to say..........the best of the beatles.

My current top 5 favourite albums:

Muse - Absolution

Radiohead - OK Computer

RHCP - By the Way

Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

Kasabian - Kasabian

All absolute classics in my eyes although there are many many more, picknig a top 5 isnt easy to be fair it would probably change quite regularly.

ok, seeing as my top 5 are probably all beach boys albums, i'm going to twist it slightly and name 5 albums that affected me greatly....

Sonic youth - Daydream Nation -

i first heard this aged about 19 and really didn't know anything about music beyond what you could hear on the radio - remember no internet and, for most, not even MTV... this record made me realise that music isn't always about dancing or singing along, that texture and tone and atmosphere count as much, and that dischord, used well, can be beautiful

Beastie Boys - licensed to ill

this was one of the first records i bought, aged about 14, it turned me on to a whole new genre of music and got me into run dmc, ll cool j public enemy etc... i remember hearing 'my adidas' on the car radio in the carpark in wigston, and being staggered as rap just wasn't played on the radio back then. licensed to ill was everything i find missing from rap nowadays - musical, funny, intricate...

my bloody valentine - loveless

this record taught me so much about production and sound, in the same way 'pet sounds' did in the 60s, this album demonstrated that when you make a record it is sometimes good to not be able to tell what instruments are being used

huey lewis and the news - fore!

ok, it's not going to change the world, but this is just a wonderful record to listen to, to dance to and to play air guitar to - sometimes its nice just to step back from the sound

stereolab - mars audiac quintet

this record made me realise that the music i wanted to hear was actually being made, that there were bands still trying to used new sounds and big chords

Had a long think.

First off, have to have Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys. The one album I could listen to endlessly, A Certain Romance being my favourite song, I'd say. Never tire of any of the tracks on it, and still listen to it a fair bit, for me, it's timeless. Lyrically fantastic as well.

With Teeth by Nine Inch Nails as well. Decided to pick one NIN album, and this is probably my favourite out of the lot. The Hand That Feeds is still catchy as anything a good four years later, used to listen to this non stop a good few years back. In terms of sounds / production, it's streets ahead of their earlier stuff, and the whole style of the music is technically brilliant.

The Stone Roses just because it's phenomenal. I Am The Resurrection is the best closer on any album I've ever heard. Not a single bad song on it, but This Is The One is the standout, in my opinion. When it properly kicks in, just reminds me how great they were.

The Verve's Urban Hymns is worthy of a mention as well. Grew up listening to this all the time, songs like Lucky Man, Sonnet, The Drugs Don't Work, and obviously Bitterweet Symphony are iconic to me and remind me of "the nineties", if you like. Great album.

Bloc Party's Silent Alarm makes my Top Five, too. Alot of great tracks on there, before they got all moody, and ruined themselves. This album is a reminder of what they can do. This Modern Love and The Pioneers are cracking songs.

Alot of others that could've been included but I've decided that these are probably the front runners. Almost certainly missed something out though.

Forgot to do mine, so here we go...

Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

This was the first album that I can remember being given as a gift, and within a week I knew every track word for word, although I cant really pick a favourite. I dont care what anyone says about Eminem, he will go down as 1 of the best rappers ever to do it, the mic skills he have are up there with the very best for me, and this was his in my opinion his best piece of work, class.

Home Sweet Home - Kano

First album I ever bought out of my own money so I guess it'll always be remembered by me, great album as far as Grime/British HipHop goes, witty lyrics and the beats are class on a decent sound system, Signs In Life and P'q & Q's being 2 in particular.

808's & Heartbreak - Kanye West

Probably should have gone for College Dropout as its by far his best body of work, but 808s has something about it for me, the emotions captured in every track are brilliant, and I can relate to a lot of it through my own personal experiences, I wouldnt class this as an HipHop album, he experimented no end on this, and 90% of it worked for me, Say You Will and Coldest Winter are both brilliant for me. I really dont care much for what people say about him on here, his music works for me, and hes brilliant live.

The Blueprint - Jay-Z

Toss up between this album and The Black Album, but ultimately I think this 1 made me fall in love with his music. Complete shits all over BP2 and BP3. Heart Of The City, Song Cry, Takeover, Renegade... its just Hip Hop at its finest in my eyes, and with production coming mainly from Kanye West and Just Blaze, who were at the time pretty much unknowns, both showcasing a sound that took over Hip Hop for the following few years.

Get Rich Or Die Trying - 50 Cent

I dont think a mainstream Hip Hop album has come anywhere close to matching this since it was released, raw and gritty vocals from 50 Cent mixed with polished Dre production, some absolute monster tunes on here. This album drew me into 50 Cents story and I've always been inspired and motivated by him ever since. Many Men and Heat are both brilliant tracks. Gangster Rap or not, this is a quality album, and everybody was feeling 50 Cent back then.

There we go :sweating:

Blimey.

Right, here we go.

1. Morrissey - Vauxhall and I

2. The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

3. British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power

4. The Fall - Fall Heads Roll

5. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit

Subject to change. Some days, 'Radiator' by the Super Furry Animals might slip in there

Portishead - Dummy

Probably the most beautiful, most listened to album I own. Timeless.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

To still sound fresh today but in reality be over 35 years old is a stunning achievement.

Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Didn't get it at first but now most other music sounds bland in comparison.

Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation

Opened the door to electronic music and I've never looked back. Ridiculously ahead of their time.

LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression

The first drum n bass album I ever bought (back in 1997) and I've been hooked since. Epic stuff.

The above has just reminded me of another couple that got played to death by me :

The Prodigy 1st album (the one with Everybody in the Place on it). One of my favourite albums of that year. Very good for trippin :D

Also 808 State's first 2 albums (think they were their first anyway). One was called '90', and the other was 'Ex:El'. Wow, the journeys they took me on. Unreal.

ok, seeing as my top 5 are probably all beach boys albums, i'm going to twist it slightly and name 5 albums that affected me greatly....

Sonic youth - Daydream Nation -

i first heard this aged about 19 and really didn't know anything about music beyond what you could hear on the radio - remember no internet and, for most, not even MTV... this record made me realise that music isn't always about dancing or singing along, that texture and tone and atmosphere count as much, and that dischord, used well, can be beautiful

Beastie Boys - licensed to ill

this was one of the first records i bought, aged about 14, it turned me on to a whole new genre of music and got me into run dmc, ll cool j public enemy etc... i remember hearing 'my adidas' on the car radio in the carpark in wigston, and being staggered as rap just wasn't played on the radio back then. licensed to ill was everything i find missing from rap nowadays - musical, funny, intricate...

my bloody valentine - loveless

this record taught me so much about production and sound, in the same way 'pet sounds' did in the 60s, this album demonstrated that when you make a record it is sometimes good to not be able to tell what instruments are being used

huey lewis and the news - fore!

ok, it's not going to change the world, but this is just a wonderful record to listen to, to dance to and to play air guitar to - sometimes its nice just to step back from the sound

stereolab - mars audiac quintet

this record made me realise that the music i wanted to hear was actually being made, that there were bands still trying to used new sounds and big chords

Liking your selection Val - though surprised by your Huey Lewis selection. Mine would be quite similar... Daydream Nation for pretty much the reasons you said, though about that time also Surfer Rosa by The Pixies and probably Isn't Anything by MBV rather than Loveless (Loveless is the better album, but Isn't Anything had more of an effect on me, it being it's predecessor (though NOT the 1st album)). Interesting you choose Licensed to Ill, I'd go Paul's Boutique for a Beasties album, but I'm guessing similar reasons to that I said earlier for MBV. I have to add 3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul for openning my eyes to hip-hop and although it seems rather obvious Nevermind by Nirvana just simply because it happened when music needed blowing out of the water (and SAW in particular) and it did just that. Lastly, just for showing how truly eclectic you can be, even on just one album, Screamadelica by Primal Scream. It was on listening to this I realised that I liked more types of music than I thought!

And a quick nod to the greatness of the Beach Boys, they were certainly the best band of the 60s (Beatles? Rolling Stones? :nono: ) and Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever, a work of true genius that everyone should own.

Lastly, can I say, seeing some people's top 5s, expand your horizons a little - there's music you'll like in all genres if you search for it!

Liking your selection Val - though surprised by your Huey Lewis selection. Mine would be quite similar... Daydream Nation for pretty much the reasons you said, though about that time also Surfer Rosa by The Pixies and probably Isn't Anything by MBV rather than Loveless (Loveless is the better album, but Isn't Anything had more of an effect on me, it being it's predecessor (though NOT the 1st album)). Interesting you choose Licensed to Ill, I'd go Paul's Boutique for a Beasties album, but I'm guessing similar reasons to that I said earlier for MBV. I have to add 3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul for openning my eyes to hip-hop and although it seems rather obvious Nevermind by Nirvana just simply because it happened when music needed blowing out of the water (and SAW in particular) and it did just that. Lastly, just for showing how truly eclectic you can be, even on just one album, Screamadelica by Primal Scream. It was on listening to this I realised that I liked more types of music than I thought!

And a quick nod to the greatness of the Beach Boys, they were certainly the best band of the 60s (Beatles? Rolling Stones? :nono: ) and Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever, a work of true genius that everyone should own.

Lastly, can I say, seeing some people's top 5s, expand your horizons a little - there's music you'll like in all genres if you search for it!

ha, the huey lewis i included just beacause i listened to it endlessly for a few years as a teenager, they were my oasis :whistle:

Loveless is just so special to me, i missed out on hearing the records of the 60s and 70s when they were released, that blew me away hearing them 20, 30 years later...but listening to loveless the week it was released as an 18 year old just discovering indie music, this record just blew me away, even listening to it last night i couldn't get over the richness and textures and beauty (there's a really cool history of it on wikipedia), i didn't hear 'isn't anything' until afterwards, needless to say it seemed flat and, ahem, lifeless in comparison.

funnily enough, '3 feet high...' was the last hip hop record i bought and probably one of the best i've heard, the whole genre just seemed to get really wank from then on, and my music tastes shifted when i started writing music myself...

1) Definitely Maybe - Greatest debut album of all time and my favourite album of all time. Every song on it for me is epic. Slide Away being my favourite song of all time aswell but i think no one will ever bring a debut these days what will touch this.

2) The Stone Roses - This just falls short of being the greatest album of all time in my opinion but still is regarded as one of the best albums of all time. Start to finish it don't let you down with Made of stone to This is the one. Its a shame they never could make a decent follow up.

3) Whats The Story ( Morning Glory ) The album that cemented Oasis has England top band, with athems such as Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger on. Nearly every song apart from Hey Now was huge.

4) Never Mind The Bollocks - The start of punk and a world changing album, just makes you feel like jumping up and down. Great vocals aswell by probally one of the worlds greatest frontmen. One of them albums you can listen to again and again.

5) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - This album really got me into The Beatles, everyone who's anyone should listen to this. Anyone making music should really listen to this. The Beatles at their best. You could go on and on about this album and never give it the credit it deserves.

Archived