Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

NME Best Album of the Decade

Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth begin.

Unfortunately, the story on the actual NME website doesn't seem to work, so you'll have to content yourselves with the good old BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8363726.stm

Voted for by artistes and industry folk, apparently. The Strokes! Who'd have thought it. I loved it at the time, but I cannot remember the last time I put it on

The list :):

1. The Strokes - Is This It

2. The Libertines - Up The Bracket

3. Primal Scream - XTRMNTR

4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

6. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

7. Arcade Fire - Funeral

8. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material

10. Radiohead - In Rainbows

Only ever heard the ones in bold in full. Streets OPM :wub:

i only have, or have even heard, the primal scream one - whish i listened to once, and was so underwhelmed i have never played it since - maybe it deserves another listen...

but i can see why i steer well clear of the NME these days :rolleyes:

Interesting, it's probably a fair choice, it is a fantastic album. Although my personal number one would have been out of...

Original Pirate Material

Kid A (Which is way too low down in that list btw)

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not

Think Tank

I've never understood the hype behind Up The Bracket though, I understand the Libertines sound was kind of different at the time and they have some fantastic single songs but for me they have never made a complete album. I always get the impression Up The Bracket gets in all these lists because The Libs have been such an influential band and people want them to have a classic album.

Also where the hell is Burial - Untrue :/

The link is working properly now so you can see the whole top 50:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-strokes/48412

It's a much more interesting list than I would have expected. Even though I've got no interest in the likes of Bloc Party or The Arcade Fire, I appreciate that turns like this did create a stir and get people genuinely excited when their records came out

Interesting and varied top 50, but I really do hate these lists. Music's all about personal opinion at the end of the day.

You're absolutely right of course. There is no definitive wrong or right about any of this stuff, we like what we like and a list like this doesn't justify or undermine your selections, but at the same time I think it's interesting to see what other people think, particularly when it's a more focused group - in this case industry folk - rather than just the herd, where you can pretty much guess what the top ten will be before you see it (Definitely Maybe, The Stone Roses, OK Computer, The Queen Is Dead, drrmmmblle....zzzz*).

*admittedly none of these would be in a top ten for the last decade

way to many british acts in that list and, apart from a few easy option mainstream rap albums, way too narrow...

and is there a single elctronica album in there - i mean no røyksopp, no sigur ros????

and no fleet foxes, seriously....

very boring, very predictable, very NME....

And also very Christmassy... pushing sales some more, eh? Can't really take NME serious for that - in the end, what's such a list good for? Absolutely nothing. There's tons of other great artists out there that never get a mention, even in the indie pop/rock scene.

And why no true or more Electronic/Rap/Hip Hop/Soul/R&B in there??? A bit one-sided, that selection, innit.

44. Outkast – 'Speakerboxxx/The Love Below'

Of all the Outkast albums they picked that lol

well, there wouldn't be any point picking something that your average 14 year old boy NME reader wouldn't have listened to

Compare and contrast - http://pitchfork.com/p2k/

They love some right old shit at times but I can tell from their reviews pretty much instantly whether I'll like stuff or not and I plan on going through anything I've not heard that's on their top 100 with a fine toothed comb at some point when I'm at a loose end, probably next summer.

that Pitchfork website...wow at the amount of lists there!

Looks like I'm gonna be busy scanning some of them. And Isohunt/Vuze are gonna take one hell of a bashing lol

Archived