Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

PU NK

• 3 weeks later...

Crass: Rich kids trying to change the world until they grew up and bought Volvos.

Realisation that in the long run it's a complete waste of time for anyone to try and change the world?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't think this warranted it's own thread given there's probably only me and Jay that's interested. Just heard the Dropkick Murphys "new" live album and feel a bit ill, what a crock of bollocks.

Live on St Patrick's Day is one of the best live albums I own (and I own a lot.) It's gutsy, ballsy, raw and I'm absolutely gutted I wasn't at the show. Got a great mix of Sing Loud, Sing Proud, Do Or Die, Gang's All Here and all that and they end on the classic Skinhead on the MBTA.

The new one's abysmal. No old stalwarts,nothing older than Blackout and most of it's the last couple of albums. It's polished to hell as well and might as well not even be a live CD. And they end on the dreadful Shipping Up To Boston that's only famous because Scorsese liked the fucking riff.

I'd gone a little bit off them anyway because, to be fair, they've "matured" and lost most of their punk soul over the last few years - Warrior's Code and Meanest of Times were a bit shite. But you'd have thought they'd have pulled out some testosterone for a live album.

Gutted.

I'm going to stick on Gang's All Here and go mourn.

Didn't think this warranted it's own thread given there's probably only me and Jay that's interested. Just heard the Dropkick Murphys "new" live album and feel a bit ill, what a crock of bollocks.

Live on St Patrick's Day is one of the best live albums I own (and I own a lot.) It's gutsy, ballsy, raw and I'm absolutely gutted I wasn't at the show. Got a great mix of Sing Loud, Sing Proud, Do Or Die, Gang's All Here and all that and they end on the classic Skinhead on the MBTA.

The new one's abysmal. No old stalwarts,nothing older than Blackout and most of it's the last couple of albums. It's polished to hell as well and might as well not even be a live CD. And they end on the dreadful Shipping Up To Boston that's only famous because Scorsese liked the fucking riff.

I'd gone a little bit off them anyway because, to be fair, they've "matured" and lost most of their punk soul over the last few years - Warrior's Code and Meanest of Times were a bit shite. But you'd have thought they'd have pulled out some testosterone for a live album.

Gutted.

I'm going to stick on Gang's All Here and go mourn.

yeah you are right it seems to me they have become a carbon copy of themselves, I haven't even bothered with the last live album.

You should check out Bootscraper they are pretty cool for an acoustic folk punk band type thing

bootscraper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't like punk one little bit but i'm interested to hear what you lot think of anti-flag?

I'm guessing they are probably too mainstream and what have you for the "hardcore" amongst you..

What Daggers said. They used to be a pretty solid punk band, some of their early albums are brilliantly powerful - particularly Die For Your Government. This is one of my favourite songs from that era of punk:

They've very much evolved as a band though and personally I'd say that's not for the best. It's not really about them being "mainstream," in the words of Dan Le Sac 'thou shalt not stop liking a band just because they become popular.' It's more that their style of music has just become too weak and watery.

The album Terror State was still a very good modern punk album in my opinion, some examples from that CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VagZmbh6tQ

But since then it's been gradually down hill. I've seen them live a couple of times and they're still a good act to watch, bit pricey though given their popularity these days. Just a bit bland really. Same as Rise Against - decent background music but not really ever going to get your blood pumping. If you like Anti-Flag's recent stuff give these bands a listen:

Archived