Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

PU NK

I figured I wouldn't have to say much more.

I can try again!

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I just wanna get down with the gramps :sweating:

Phew,

Glad the Ramones finally got a mention, they are one of (IMO) the top 5 punk bands of all time.

I know its somewhat unpopular to say the Sex Pistols, but there cant be a serious discussion without them.

Clash, Dead Kennedys, New Dork Dolls, The (early) Slits, all worth a mention.

A couple of Aussie bands you may not have heard...

The Saints (Chris Bailey is a legend)

Radio Birdman

To be fair, im a fan of Greenday, it must be difficult to be GenX/Y and care about anything, so the fact that they give it a try and sound good is enough for me.

Phew,

Glad the Ramones finally got a mention, they are one of (IMO) the top 5 punk bands of all time.

I know its somewhat unpopular to say the Sex Pistols, but there cant be a serious discussion without them.

Clash, Dead Kennedys, New Dork Dolls, The (early) Slits, all worth a mention.

A couple of Aussie bands you may not have heard...

The Saints (Chris Bailey is a legend)

Radio Birdman

To be fair, im a fan of Greenday, it must be difficult to be GenX/Y and care about anything, so the fact that they give it a try and sound good is enough for me.

I saw Jello Biafra when he toured the UK with the Guantanamo school of medicine last septemeber was brilliant to see him live especially some of the Kennedys songs Holiday in Cambodia and moor over marin were just awesome!

Also saw The Slits supporting The Cribs in December and they were f**king terrible, the lead singer continually accusing the crowd of being racist and sexist because they didn't like them, horrible women

I saw Jello Biafra when he toured the UK with the Guantanamo school of medicine last septemeber was brilliant to see him live especially some of the Kennedys songs Holiday in Cambodia and moor over marin were just awesome!

Also saw The Slits supporting The Cribs in December and they were f**king terrible, the lead singer continually accusing the crowd of being racist and sexist because they didn't like them, horrible women

Dead Kennedys were awesome!

Slits were shit and sounds like they still are lol

Typical girls.

I used to share a flat with Conflict guitarist Kev Webb when I moved to england - Sadly Kev took his own life several years ago - Serenade is the best song Kev ever wrote and it always reminds me of the good times in his life

Glad it reminds you of the good times.

When will I be able to get my hands on some Distate??

Weren't the New York Dolls the first punk band?

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm talking stylistically. American punk is not like English/British punk. I grew up listening to the homegrown stuff, and I have come to associate it with the times that I was living in. If that makes sense.

hmm for me, The NY Dolls were the first, but British punk differed from the US because of what was behind the britpunk and the times we were living.

To me US punk is more about the music, British punk is about the whole life.

I really do hate this argument--even more as I was still a long way from my own birth when the music and style of punk spawned--but New York City in the '70s was a completely fvcked-up place... I really can't think of anywhere else that would have been a better crucible in which this genre/subculture could have been formed (not coincidentally, this time also saw hip hop born in NYC).

Anyway, we can argue all day long about what's more "punk" but we should all agree on what was the first "punk" group: The Ramones. :)

BTW I apologize if I'm arguing over semantics, but New York Dolls would be described better as a glam band (or, in revisionist history, a "proto-punk" group), would they not?

• 1 month later...
I really do hate this argument--even more as I was still a long way from my own birth when the music and style of punk spawned--but New York City in the '70s was a completely fvcked-up place... I really can't think of anywhere else that would have been a better crucible in which this genre/subculture could have been formed (not coincidentally, this time also saw hip hop born in NYC).

Anyway, we can argue all day long about what's more "punk" but we should all agree on what was the first "punk" group: The Ramones. :)

BTW I apologize if I'm arguing over semantics, but New York Dolls would be described better as a glam band (or, in revisionist history, a "proto-punk" group), would they not?

I think the whole 'who was the first PUNK band' will never be resolved because there are so many different variations on what people think PUNK is.

As for the ramones, I saw them at the astoria in 1995, not obviously in their prime but a hell of a concert nethertheless

• 4 weeks later...

Archived