Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Callabinho

Waghorn

Got a huge amount of time for the lad. Looks very much like he's going back to a Premier League club next season, with a big future, and yet he cared so much about scoring that penalty for a club that's his temporary home.

I'm a big, big Waghorn fan but I want to keep a reality check here.

Waghorn is South Shields born and bred and he has been at Sunderland since he was 8 years old. He supports the team and wants to play first team football for them in the Premier League.

Now let's pretend you were in a similar situation and you had the opportunity to play for Leicester, but weren't quite good enough at this stage to make the first team. Sure you'd go out on loan and maybe you'd spend a season and fall in love with a league one team, but ulimately your aim would be to play for the club you love.

I think the only hope we have if is Sunderland don't offer him a deal, which they would be stupid not to, or if Waghorn thinks he would progress more with first team football and work his way back into the Sunderland team that way.

Fair play to the lad whatever he chooses

Strange how everyone's come over all maudlin for a squat striker who missed a pen.

I remember another squat striker who did something similar after a League Cup Final defeat and he was told to 'get a life' 'think of starving kids in Africa' etc etc.

Personally I blame the BBC, The Grauniad and NuLab...

Got a huge amount of time for the lad. Looks very much like he's going back to a Premier League club next season, with a big future, and yet he cared so much about scoring that penalty for a club that's his temporary home.

That's why people took to him I guess, always gave everything to the cause, and was actually a good player too. What's not to love really?

All the best to the guy wherever he ends up, sure he'll always be remembered fondly for his time here.

Feel so sorry for him, I think he's about my age and despite him not even being a Leicester fan he gave it his all yesterday and was clearly distraught after his penalty. We need this quality in our team, he's one of them rare top notch strikers.

Next season 4 - 3 - 3, Waggy on 1 wing, fryatt on the other and guess who in the middle.... Kermit. ;)

He is definitely out of contract, sunderland are just saying he is going to be part of the first team next year !, but he is a human at the end of the day, if he feels we have a genuine chance of going up next year then he may request to stay on loan again !.

He is definitely out of contract.

Would you like to find the definitive proof of that? Go on the main Sunderland forum, their "In the know" person says he signed a four year contract just before Keane left.

There is nothing concrete either way. So stop saying he is definitely out of contract when you actually don't have the faintest bloody idea.

As an aside, people need to man up a bit. It's like a bunch of love sick teenagers in this thread.

It's a bit of a far-fetched idea, but what if there was a petition and a donation scheme called "GET WAGGY!" lol or the like, with every LCFC chipping in with a few bucks.

Would that be proof enough to Steve Bruce that we really want the kid? ;)

With Fryatt fit would he even be 1st choice after all he didn't start against Cardiff - our bench or Sunderlands on possibly twice as much moneydunno.gif

I think i felt worse about waggy on the floor after he missed the penalty than i actually did about losing the game. :cry:

He has been amazing all season!

Please stay Waggy - Leicester is where your heart is now :chant::scarf:

Absolutely heartbreaking to see him in such a mess on the floor after his penalty, which wasn't even that bad anyway, just an awesome save by their keeper. The guy has been monumental for us this season, always put a shift in and showed the kind of fight and passion which fans love to see. Considering he's a young kid and on loan from another club, I think that's testament to his character and general love of playing football. Superb player, will definitely be one to watch in the future if he continues applying himself and improving as he has this season. Would love to see him here permanently but I can't see us even being allowed a chance to make it happen.

NIALL QUINN believes Martyn Waghorn will return to Sunderland2_bing.gif a stronger character when the dust settles on his play-off heartbreak with Leicester.

martyn-waghorn-286485499.jpgSunderland’s homegrown striker spent last season on loan at Leicester and was the Foxes’ top scorer as they finished fifth and qualified for the play-offs.

But, after Leicester drew 3-3 with Cardiff over the two-legged semi-final, the game went to a penalty shoot-out at the Cardiff City Stadium and Waghorn saw his penalty saved by Bluebirds keeper Andy Marshall2_bing.gif, which ended the Foxes’ hopes of a Wembley final and possible promotion.

Sunderland chairman Quinn suffered his own play-off agony in 1998 when he was a member of the Black Cats side that lost to Charlton on penalties at Wembley, with Michael Gray missing the crucial spot-kick that day.

And Quinn says 20-year-old Waghorn will bounce back just as Gray did. Quinn said: “It’s a horrible way for any player’s season to end and my heart went out to Martyn.

“I haven’t been in touch with him yet. I think it’s best for him to have a day or two to himself to begin coming to terms with it. But the club will support him and rally round and we’ll help him get over it.

“He’s in a similar position to the one Michael Gray was in with our play-off game – I just hope Martyn doesn’t dye his hair yellow like Michael did!”

Waghorn’s midweek misery should not take the gloss off a season which saw him score a dozen goals in the Championship in what was his first full season of regular first-team football.

“I think Martyn mustn’t lose sight of the fact that he’s had a great season at Leicester,” said Quinn.

“He’s a young lad who has gone to a Championship club and proven that he can cut it that level.

“It’s a great achievement for him to go there and score goals and help a club fresh back in the division up into the play-offs.

“I know he’ll be hurting now and I know it will take him a while to get over it because it’s a cruel way to lose out.

“But he’s an excellent prospect and, along with the likes of Jordan Henderson2_bing.gif, Jack Colback and a few of the other young lads, he’s potentially got a great future ahead of him at this club.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderland-afc/safc-news/2010/05/15/waghorn-will-return-stronger-player-quinn-72703-26451488/?

As good as he has been I think he should spend the summer only kicking the ball with his right foot because there have been a few too many times when if he'd been able to use it he could have got a few more goals/assists.

i heard a rumour that he's gonna put in a transfer request, i hope it's true. i think he's realised he'll be better off here. we're a team going somewhere, sunderland will always overlook him. Jack Hobbs came to us because he didnt want to be a reserve team player for liverpool and look at how his career has flourished.

i heard a rumour that he's gonna put in a transfer request, i hope it's true. i think he's realised he'll be better off here. we're a team going somewhere, sunderland will always overlook him. Jack Hobbs came to us because he didnt want to be a reserve team player for liverpool and look at how his career has flourished.

I hope the rumour you have heard is true, can I ask where the source of the rumour has come from though?

I hope the rumour you have heard is true, can I ask where the source of the rumour has come from though?

my mate was talking to a bloke who works at the club in tesco, he said he was gonna put in a request, also he said vaughan will stay and city will pay 70% of his wages. tunchev will be back and liverpool have told us spearing is effectively in the shop window. Also we're meant to be after steve finnan.

Archived