Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
miagsygas

Cian Bolger

Hi guys, fan of Bristol Rovers here.

We've just signed your academy player Cian Bolger on loan. Any of you know if he's any good/good enough for our level. We are in major need of defensive reinforcement and if he's only half decent I'll imagine he'll start. Should get a nice bit of experience here.

Im abit suprised he's been thrown in at that level to be honest! He would probably be better off starting off at a much lower level then working his experience up!

Mind you though, First team experience can always do him good.

That will be interesting for you.

I watched Cian a lot up until this season and he's a giant of a centre-back.

In Academy football he was a colossus in the air and additionally handy going forward into the opposition penalty box and scoring goals from set-piece situations.

The downside was that he always looked a potential liability against the D.J.Campbell types cos, once they'd slipped him there was no way back for the lad.

He's strong, determined, committed and quite effective at what he does best. Played alongside a quick, mobile reader of the game ,then he might do well for you.

But there's no way I'd see him becoming the cultured Colin Todd-type.

Aye, Rovers mate told me about this. Will be good experience for the lad, can't say I know too much of him, but i'll keep a look out for his performances as I follow your scores anyway.

Will he go straight into your first XI due to Coles' suspension? Might be a bit of a risk him being thrown into the deep end as a relatively inexperienced kid.

Pretty much anything will be an improvement on your defence this season though ;)

He trained with the team today, with Coles' suspension, Tunnicliffe being crap and Anthony just coming back from food poisoning I'd say there is a fair chance of him playing but at the very least he's on the bench. We also don't have much of a target man, so if he's a threat in the opposition box we might see him appear up there often if we are behind. If everyone is fit, our best center back is Byron Anthony, who is more mobile - if Bolger is good enough it sounds like it could be a decent partnership. Hartlepool, who we have tomorrow, had Bolger on trial and wanted to sign him from you, so I'd say he might well be good enough. Hopefully at the very least, he shares some of Hartlepool's weaknesses and give us some much needed competition. I'll let you know how he gets on.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are you on here when your team is playing? Shouldn't you be at the game or on your own forum?

I've been preparing PA equipment for a gig tomorrow until about 6:30 this evening. Having to settle for listening on the radio even though it's one of the closest games to me this season.

As for my own forum, have you been on there at all?

Ask Thracian, he's probably the next Puyol.

He's not. He's a giant red-headed centre-back who'll win most things in the air and perhaps lose too many duals on the ground or on the turn.

But I've seen some fairly unsophisticated defenders make careers for themselves because of their presence in a defence and Bolger does have presence. Presumably he's out on loan to learn and I hope he does that.

I'm certainly not going to knock the lad. He's been part of a successful youth side for a couple of seasons and - in the absence of us having a proper reserves side, he's perhaps having to move on upwards a little sooner than was necessarily ideal. Hopefully he'll adjust quickly.

I've been preparing PA equipment for a gig tomorrow until about 6:30 this evening. Having to settle for listening on the radio even though it's one of the closest games to me this season.

As for my own forum, have you been on there at all?

Nope, I've no reason to at all.

I don't think the goal was his fault, it looked more like Gary Sawyer with the sloppy marking, but I'll have to see it again.

Overall, very steady. Good in the air and wins most, slotted into the side nicely, surprisingly so for someone so young. He's a little slow across the ground and doesn't have the quickest change of pace, but apart from that looks promising. He's tough, too, got a horrible red card worthy challenge from Rowan Vine, studs up and the ref didn't see it. In the end, they both got booked because Bolger more than held his own.

6.5/10

As for wether I'm still glad we sacked Trollope, yes most definately.I think we'll go down, but only because of the mess he's left behind. We've probably been the worst side in the league this season, had six put past us four times and it's the squad Trollope had five years to put together. I'll be gutted if we go down - took us years to get out of that league last time and I don't think many will wanna go through it again.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived