Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

3 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I had a similar conversation at the game on Saturday. I honestly believe that in terms of finishing that Iheanacho is the better player but lets face it, he wouldn't even get himself in the positions to have 10 chances so there's no point even comparing the two.

In terms of all round player, Vardy is the best striker we have by a country mile. His footballing brain has improved no end in the last 3 seasons. His vision, his hold up play, his heading...literally everything is better than Iheanacho, Slimani, Ulloa and Okazaki put together.

I wouldn't sell him for £50 million, let alone £30million. He is the focal point of how we play and set-up, alongside Kasper, Maguire and N'didi.

If you seriously only see him as a 'sprinter' then I'd have to question whether you are watching the same player.

Me neither because at the moment, he is required because KI is not up to speed or fighting weight by the looks of him. It may never happen with KI but that will be down to him and application and not through the lack of trying by the club.

The whole point with Vardy is that he is one long-term injury away from being done at this level. A year out at his age is pretty much curtains. No-one would punt too much on that scenario, hence why 30m is all he is worth in the real world to a club, he'd be a season-long gamble, any more than that would be a bonus. The insurance premium on a 31-year-old smoker who's game is predominantly pace would not be worth a higher risk, hence why we still have him in this bonkers world of transfer fees.

A 10-year-old Ford Transit that has done 200k miles but goes 140mph would not be worth as much as the  2-year-old Ford Transit with 90k on the clock and goes 120mph. You pay more for youth and expected reliability in vehicles in much the same way you would pay for footballers.

To be very frank, I'm staggered at the amount of folk that don't grasp this simple situation regarding age, expected return on investment and wages.

Edited by Colourmy

6 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Me neither because at the moment, he is required because KI is not up to speed or fighting weight by the looks of him. It may never happen with KI but that will be down to him and application and not through the lack of trying by the club.

The whole point with Vardy is that he is one long-term injury away from being done at this level. A year out at his age is pretty much curtains. No-one would punt too much on that scenario, hence why 30m is all he is worth in the real world to a club, he'd be a season-long gamble, any more than that would be a bonus. The insurance premium on a 31-year-old smoker who's game is predominantly pace would not be worth a higher risk, hence why we still have him in this bonkers world of transfer fees.

A 10-year-old Ford Transit that has done 200k miles but goes 140mph would not be worth as much as the  2-year-old Ford Transit with 90k on the clock and goes 120mph. You pay more for youth and expected reliability in vehicles in much the same way you would pay for footballers.

To be very frank, I'm staggered at the amount of folk that don't grasp this simple situation regarding age, expected return on investment and wages.

But the figures people are quoting on here are what he's worth to the Club not what his actual value is.

Clubs probably won't want to fork out £30+ for a 31 year old. If that's the case, he's staying where he is. We don't have to sell. We don't need the money and he's a crucial asset to us.

My previous post was me pretty much saying I wouldn't sell him at any cost.

27 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Because you're missing the point. It's not what Vardy is worth to another club it's what Vardy is worth to us. Which is alot more than 30 million. So regardless of his age why on earth would we sell him for 30 million? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colourmy said:

What a ridiculous statement. If he was worth 60 million and was a shoe-in for 15-20 goals a season in any of the top teams in the UK or Europe, he would not be here now. That would be the bargain of the decade for any club. He suits our game, less so as the month's pass by but he's 31 for god's sake. No-one has undervalued Jamie Vardy, Leicester fans over value him!

You can call it what you want. He's worth 60m in the current market and certainly to us. He's the heartbeat of our side and if you can't see that then fine.

By the way answer the question. How much would you accept for him?

7 hours ago, Colourmy said:

What a ridiculous statement. If he was worth 60 million and was a shoe-in for 15-20 goals a season in any of the top teams in the UK or Europe, he would not be here now. That would be the bargain of the decade for any club. He suits our game, less so as the month's pass by but he's 31 for god's sake. No-one has undervalued Jamie Vardy, Leicester fans over value him!

stopdigging.JPG.9857a03503d7a58e3ca0e6af364e0c81.JPG

1 minute ago, reynard said:

You can call it what you want. He's worth 60m in the current market and certainly to us. He's the heartbeat of our side and if you can't see that then fine.

By the way answer the question. How much would you accept for him?

If I was part of the department responsible for incomings and outgoings at the club, I'd want at least his contract value to us based on his earnings plus an extra amount to cover the cost of previous earnings. Then I'd want a nominal value to cover the cost of recruiting the next Jamie Vardy ( unknown with potential) and his salary covered for the length of his contract.

If somebody offered £30 million, I'd take it. That's me though and I'd expect my other 60 million worth of striking talent to be used in his absence.

Just now, Colourmy said:

If I was part of the department responsible for incomings and outgoings at the club, I'd want at least his contract value to us based on his earnings plus an extra amount to cover the cost of previous earnings. Then I'd want a nominal value to cover the cost of recruiting the next Jamie Vardy ( unknown with potential) and his salary covered for the length of his contract.

If somebody offered £30 million, I'd take it. That's me though and I'd expect my other 60 million worth of striking talent to be used in his absence.

Fair enough and who would you replace him with for 30million? After all we've tried pretty hard around the 25-30million mark and frankly both players are bang average. Truth is 30million these days is mid market for a striker and Vardy is better than that and better than anything else we currently have.

Weird. Imagine if Vardy played for Spuds or Arsenhole. I bet they would value him easily over £50 million. 

Proven Premier League goal scorer. Holder of consecutive goals scored record. Premier league winner. England international. Hmm

’cause e’s from Lestoh, firty be nuff easy innit lad!!

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, reynard said:

Fair enough and who would you replace him with for 30million? After all we've tried pretty hard around the 25-30million mark and frankly both players are bang average. Truth is 30million these days is mid market for a striker and Vardy is better than that and better than anything else we currently have.

My view with JV is that his game relies mostly on others' being razor quick in the mind and playing a ball through to him. 

If that doesn't happen, then Vardy struggles. He struggles with his close control of the ball at his feet and his penchant for taking a tumble is his answer to not being able to play his way out of trouble. When you take those points in isolation, you tend to see that speed and surprise is his bag and not too much else. 

Teams that play deep, he really struggles with.

I did try and find some data on games won with Vardy and games won without Vardy but couldn't ( didn't try too hard). I think it may surprise a few.

Edited by Colourmy

4 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

My view with JV is that his game relies mostly on others' being razor quick in the mind and playing a ball through to him. 

If that doesn't happen, then Vardy struggles. He struggles with his close control of the ball at his feet and his penchant for taking a tumble is his answer to not being able to play his way out of trouble. When you take those points in isolation, you tend to see that speed and surprise is his bag and not too much else. 

Not looking for an argument but I think you see him quite differently to the majority of LCFC supporters. Perhaps not too differently to the majority of football supporters in general. do you get to see our games in detail? 

2 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Makes him even better then really considering the lack of that type of quality he's played with for the last few years. Imagine him playing with top players such as Hazard in teams that can actually play at a very high level. He'd get even more chances and score even more goals. I think you're underestimating his all round game which has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of seasons.

Funny how he's won more penalties than any other player in the Pl in the last few seasons. Yes sometimes he goes down too easily but more often than not he's fouled.

1 minute ago, reynard said:

Makes him even better then really considering the lack of that type of quality he's played with for the last few years. Imagine him playing with top players such as Hazard in teams that can actually play at a very high level. He'd get even more chances and score even more goals. I think you're underestimating his all round game which has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of seasons.

Funny how he's won more penalties than any other player in the Pl in the last few seasons. Yes sometimes he goes down too easily but more often than not he's fouled.

And this is why I think football professionals haven't smashed down the gates at the King Power to get him. They must see flaws because in the bonkers market, he would have been pretty much kidnapped if he was as good as people in Leicester think he is. I'm not knocking him but I think the Vardy tinted specs are out in full force from Leicester supporters but not from too many places elsewhere.

I think we'd all agree Aguero, Kane, Sanchez, Coutihinio et al are special but we don't have to watch them week in week out to confirm it.

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Didn’t I see his goals per chance stat last week somewhere in here?  I’m sure his conversion rate was double Barry Vane’s. 

I would agree, that greedy twat would take a shot from the changing rooms if he could!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not looking for an argument but I think you see him quite differently to the majority of LCFC supporters. Perhaps not too differently to the majority of football supporters in general. do you get to see our games in detail? 

Yes, I probably do. I will go occasionally but nowadays it's mostly streams and TV because of work.

Football clubs havent come in for him because the money we would want for him doesn't equal what they're willing to pay. He's priceless to us because hes vital to the way we pay. We couldn't get an replacement in for close to 30 million. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

1 minute ago, KingsX said:

Holding aggressively to a view that makes most scratch their heads, and always needing the last word, are key tools in the ditch digger's chest.

Some of us on here are into the financial side of the League, and many are well aware player values have everything to do with age and length of contract.  But when you double down on an assertion that Jamie Vardy’s contract would not sell for 30M, if the club opened it to bidding, that fits my definition of “deep” excavation.

I would agree that his finishing appears less sure than formerly.  Yet his conversion rate (25%) is still elite and far, far above, say, Harry Kane’s.  And we’ve yet to see Iheanacho finishing much except poacher’s chances in the box.  Vardy does more to create his own chances, and infinitely more to create chances for others.

You've every right to your opinion.  That's where my reaction comes from. 

Tis true but Harry Kane will have 10 more attempts from anywhere on the pitch, Vardy doesn't attempt to score from anywhere more than 10 yards for the most part. Vardy is different because he needs to know where he is putting that ball 2 seconds before he strikes it. And those sprints give him those seconds to think.

5 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Football clubs havent come in for him because the money we would want for him doesn't equal what they're willing to pay. Hes pricless to us because hes vital to the way we pay. We couldn't get an replacement in for close to 30 million. 

Yes I know and agree to an extent but we are going to need to change very soon. The thing with injuries or age, they don't give you a specific date for when they take hold but with a 31-year-old striker at a PL club, it would be considered irresponsible to not have something in place for when the inevitable happens.

Get it in place now, play Vardy 2 out of 4 games and sell him if someone bangs 30 million on the table.

As someone who goes to games AND watches us on TV when we play away, I can safely say that being there gives a far greater understanding and overview of what is going on. 

@Colourmy, I have no wish to pick a fight because our opinions differ, so I'm not going to slag you off at all. What I will say is that Vardy often has an exceptional touch. There was one ball to him on Saturday that was far from routine to bring down perfectly, so I can forgive him that sort of error, but plenty of evidence of a sharp brain and thought out hard work. The Watford backline did not enjoy dealing with him. 

Of course he's not perfect, but to suggest he's a one or two trick pony (as you seem to be suggesting, to my eyes at least) is to do him a great disservice. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

As someone who goes to games AND watches us on TV when we play away, I can safely say that being there gives a far greater understanding and overview of what is going on. 

@Colourmy, I have no wish to pick a fight because our opinions differ, so I'm not going to slag you off at all. What I will say is that Vardy often has an exceptional touch. There was one ball to him on Saturday that was far from routine to bring down perfectly, so I can forgive him that sort of error, but plenty of evidence of a sharp brain and thought out hard work. The Watford backline did not enjoy dealing with him. 

Of course he's not perfect, but to suggest he's a one or two trick pony (as you seem to be suggesting, to my eyes at least) is to do him a great disservice. 

Ha Ha. He has one or two things more than that in his locker but not enough for all the Vardy eggs to be in the one basket like the impression I am getting from many on here. 

Anyway, off for a bit of Pat Phelan skullduggery on Coronation street! Good night all.

32 minutes ago, Colourmy said:

Yes I know and agree to an extent but we are going to need to change very soon. The thing with injuries or age, they don't give you a specific date for when they take hold but with a 31-year-old striker at a PL club, it would be considered irresponsible to not have something in place for when the inevitable happens.

Get it in place now, play Vardy 2 out of 4 games and sell him if someone bangs 30 million on the table.

It's not as easy as bring in a replacement now though really. Also whilst Vardy continues to be of value to us as he is why would we only play him 2 out of 4 games? It wouldn't make sense. Footballers are being able to play longer and longer these days and he has a few more miles on the clock before his wind down. 

If he gets injured he'll come back from it. It won't be the first time. Added to the fact his touch and football intelligence has come on so much in the last couple of years he'd still be of great value to us anyway. 

I would agree he isn't worth 60+ to football clubs around the world but he is worth so much more to Leicester City. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colourmy said:

And this is why I think football professionals haven't smashed down the gates at the King Power to get him. They must see flaws because in the bonkers market, he would have been pretty much kidnapped if he was as good as people in Leicester think he is. I'm not knocking him but I think the Vardy tinted specs are out in full force from Leicester supporters but not from too many places elsewhere.

I think we'd all agree Aguero, Kane, Sanchez, Coutihinio et al are special but we don't have to watch them week in week out to confirm it.

I think you will find hes quite well liked, around the PL from fans, sometimes love/hate respect triangle.Throw in irritating but

still admired.

England-shirt :-

Certainly he gets loud cheers, when his name is announced,or he comes on,

somewhat more than I have heard for players in the past or present.

He excites..!!!